Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Algarve

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2009, 05:22 AM
Bluie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Algarve

Off to the Algarve in a couple of weeks, will need interenet and phone access, which there is none where we are staying.

Have a 3G iphone am I better using this or a laptop with dongle that can be used out there.
Old 30 July 2009, 06:00 PM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

Whatever you do, do NOT use your UK 3G phone data, or a UK provided dongle and laptop. Data rates for roaming are very expensive and not part of your allowance on any network. Expect to pay around £5 per mb of data downloaded. Best bet is to get a foreign pay as you go one whilst abroad.
Old 31 July 2009, 05:30 AM
Bluie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mannyo
Whatever you do, do NOT use your UK 3G phone data, or a UK provided dongle and laptop. Data rates for roaming are very expensive and not part of your allowance on any network. Expect to pay around £5 per mb of data downloaded. Best bet is to get a foreign pay as you go one whilst abroad.
OK thanks will look into one of those
Old 31 July 2009, 09:07 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

I assume you're going they're on business then? If not why the hell do you need Internet and phone, your on holiday, cut yourself off from the rest of the world, lounge by the pool/beach and drink lots of beers.

Some people just don't know how to live their lives outside of Facebook
Old 31 July 2009, 10:07 AM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Dependent on how much you will be using the Internet and how important it is to you have a look at the Vodafone 3G dongle contracts. You can have up to 50Mb/day when roaming for £10.00 which is a hell of a lot cheaper than most other options - probably excepting PAYG once you get out there but that's just hassle. (Obviously check the small print - that's the deal I'm on it may not be the same now)

It's been well worth my while signing up for a year even if I hardly ever use it in this country just to make it possible to use the internet without worrying too much about the cost.
Old 31 July 2009, 01:03 PM
Bluie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
I assume you're going they're on business then? If not why the hell do you need Internet and phone, your on holiday, cut yourself off from the rest of the world, lounge by the pool/beach and drink lots of beers.

Some people just don't know how to live their lives outside of Facebook
I will be on holiday, however the two businesses I run may mean clients might need to contact me, eventhough they know I'm on holiday something may crop up that needs sorting.

As to Facebook I have not and very unlikely register or use it.

I have every intention of totally relaxing.