Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Can an insurance company withhold your NCD?

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2009, 11:09 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Can an insurance company withhold your NCD?

I left Norwich Union/Aviva in the middle of June when my policy ran out and since then i have been pestering them for the NCD proof so i can forward it to the new company.

My new insurers took my word for the NCD initially but now require the proof in a letter from Aviva. Every time i ask Aviva for the letter they tell me it has been sent and will take 10 working days. It never arrives and when i call them they 'action' another letter. It has been 6 weeks now

But now my new insurers have changed my policy from fully comp to third party only until i have the proof. What if i have an accident, i am not covered?

I have spoken to different managers and dont know what to do now, suggestions?
Old 28 July 2009, 11:14 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Cant the new company contact aviva for you ?
Any old details will prove NCD up until the last policy so would only be 1 year out as a start maybe?
Old 28 July 2009, 11:16 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would not be proof as Sara (who does seem phenomenally accident prone) may have had an incident since the last renewal and so lost some or all of her NCD.

Are you sure they have sent it to the right address? Aviva would not withhold your NCD if you have one.
Old 28 July 2009, 11:17 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

I have 5 years. Aviva have not said i cant have it but they just wont send it.

The new insurers want a letter, supposedly for their files. They will not contact Aviva themselves which is really annoying.

The problem with Aviva is that they use more than one call center in India and the head does not know what the **** is doing
Old 28 July 2009, 11:19 AM
MY99TURBO
Scooby Regular

Speak to your new insurer about them contacting norwich union them selfs as there is a new data base where insurers can get the proof of ncd instantly, when i renewed my insurance the system was in its 1st week of going live and the guy on the other end of the phone told me that the system was going to be the way that that they get your ncd.

i have also had a bad experience with norwich union ages ago when they were taking 2 months insurance money out of my bank at a time
Old 28 July 2009, 11:24 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
That would not be proof as Sara (who does seem phenomenally accident prone) may have had an incident since the last renewal and so lost some or all of her NCD.

Are you sure they have sent it to the right address? Aviva would not withhold your NCD if you have one.

I have tried absolutely everything to get it. I am worried, that heaven forbid, i cause an accident for whatever reason, i lose out.

If i call Aviva today and tell them that the letter has not arrived i will be told that whilst i was on the phone another letter has been sent out and it will take up to 10 days. I need to break the stalemate but how?

I had a pothole claim which was resolved and it did not affect anything as it was in my favour They have already agreed that i am entitled to the 5 years
Old 28 July 2009, 11:24 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
I have 5 years. Aviva have not said i cant have it but they just wont send it.

The new insurers want a letter, supposedly for their files. They will not contact Aviva themselves which is really annoying.

The problem with Aviva is that they use more than one call center in India and the head does not know what the **** is doing
Sara - they only have one system though and the guys in India can't do anything outside of that system. If something does something to your account details then anyone at Aviva, anywhere in the world can see it.

I will use one of my contacts to see what can be done.

Trout

Trending Topics

Old 28 July 2009, 11:25 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Get them to FAX it over?

I had the same problem when leaving my last insurance company, it was a ongoing ball ache, and i started getting letters from the new company telling me that the cover would stop if i could not provide proof?
Old 28 July 2009, 11:52 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

As above try fax.

Also: You should also send requests out in writing via recorded or signed delivery...send a second copy to your current insurer with a covering explaining the situation and that attempts to gain proof from your old insurer are not forthcomming.

Don't rely solely one phone (or email); most companies I deal with are useless with any request that are beyond the usual telephonist's comprehension (almost everything these days ).

And any phone call you do make, write a log. Showing time/date/length/time on hold of the call. Minutes of the conversation, the FULL name of the persons you spoke to. And if possible, a call reference number.

(At work, its our company policy to to all the above with every non-standard issue involving large companies and public/civil sectors - PITA, but it doesn't half come in handy).
Old 28 July 2009, 12:16 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

This is the crazy bit. I take 'the persons name and department i am speaking to and when i call them again and ask for bla bla' they tell me they have no one there that has that name

I have just been on the phone to them and they told me someone will call me back today, i know i wont get this call or any that i am promised but at least i am no longer insured with them
Old 28 July 2009, 12:21 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The thing is, even if they give you a false name, its goes on your personal record of conversation.

Should you ever need to escalate any complaints, it will show the people in that department are lying and shifting blame, because of that it will show you are not the one at fault and have done all you can to resolve the issue.

Of course one could turn round and say you fabricated your call records. But all you have to say is that the issue is in your best interest to get resolved, so why would you need to lie about making a phone call to get that issue sorted?
Old 28 July 2009, 01:29 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Did Aviva not send you a renewal quotation, which should include your NCD???

mb
Old 28 July 2009, 01:42 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
This is the crazy bit. I take 'the persons name and department i am speaking to and when i call them again and ask for bla bla' they tell me they have no one there that has that name
What names did they give you out of interest? English sounding ones, eg; John, or Garry. Yeah, of course that is your real first name
Old 28 July 2009, 02:18 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Boomer, they did send me a renewal policy but it had the wrong amount of years on it plus it was for £500 more than they charged me for the previous years policy

At first i did not realise they had got the years wrong so i used the comparison sites for a quote and saved myself over £500 This was a quote for 3 years NCD but i am owed 5 years so i assume the insurance will be cheaper still!

When i have called them they tell me that my NCD has been amended but i just cant get the bladdy proof.

Deepat, Meil, Navdeep, Abha, Naisha, and Surya are a few names i have written down
Old 29 July 2009, 04:14 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Last edited by scrappydoo; 31 October 2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 29 July 2009, 04:25 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

u have to notify the person that your recording them and companies normally tell there staff to say that they will not allow them self to be recorded. this proving bad i know.
Old 31 July 2009, 01:28 AM
scooby_doo!
Scooby Newbie

Default Help

I work for an insurance coompany and there not allowed to do that. Its a shame that they have. If u have an accident that not good for u your poor car wont be covered.

*******. They sud fax em. Try using your renewal papers if u have them?

Hope it gets sorted.
Old 31 July 2009, 07:41 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

I had this with Tossco Insurance, they first said my lad's ncd letter was in the post, then sent one saying he had none.

He wrote to the manager of the department, (DO NOT contact them by phone, the people on the other end of the phone are trained monkeys, plus they ALWAYS deny recording any calls unless it suits THEM).

He had a response with his correct ncd in it within a week.

Send the letter recorded, and, if you can, get the NAME of whoever is in charge of that dept.
Old 31 July 2009, 10:04 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

The only reason they would withhold your NCB is if you still have an unsettled claim then they wouldnt release it until that has been settled as it may reduce your allowance.

It does seem a little strange.
Old 31 July 2009, 11:53 AM
GStar
Scooby Regular

What a nightmare!! Would suggest now it would be better if they can fax you NCB immediately or threaten with referal to their complaints department (Chief Executive's Office). Also ask for the person's email address you spoke with - despite what you might get told, they all have one!!
Old 31 July 2009, 01:27 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

post a picture of yourself with a loaf of bread on your head and you will have your proof of no claims bonus tomorrow

my sister works for Aviva and can arrange this easily