Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Speed Awareness Course

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2009, 01:34 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Awareness Course

Recently I was snapped on speed camera doing a 39 in a 30.

Bad Boy!

As this was my first driving offence I was offered the option of the SAC, rather than the fine and points.

Whilst the theory part was pretty informative and a good way to brush up on your highway code, I was a little put out by the practicle side.

I dont know how much the driving test has changed in the last 12 years, but considering this was supposed to be about safety and speed - the instructor was only interested in the fact I changed gears more than he liked.

He wanted me to enter a roundabout - not a major roundabout however slightly more than a mini one on a housing estate - in third gear to save on fuel economy....

If there its clear, carry on and pull away in third gear, rather than drop into second and pull away.

I was taught by my tutor years ago to allow my gears to slow me down, as well as having the right gear to ensure enough power to pull away.

The guy yesterday was more bothered about mpg than having enough umph to pull away quickly and safely.

Has this changed or did I get a special sort of instructor yesterday?
Old 22 July 2009, 01:43 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Maybe its changed but its the same as I was taught be ready, same on a motor bike or was.
Old 22 July 2009, 01:50 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

If the roundabout is clear, why do you need a lot of power to pull away safely?

There's certainly some inconsistency around in the use of engine braking to slow you down. My IAM observer was quite adamant that the brakes were there to slow the car, and that using engine braking was putting undue stress on the engine and transmission. It also doesn't light your brake lights, so by not using the brakes (however gently) you're actually providing following traffic with less information about your intentions, which I guess is fair enough. (Can't say I agree with the engine / gearbox wear argument, though).

It's certainly true that harsh acceleration is bad for fuel economy - drive any car with a trip computer to see that - so he's probably right that staying in third and accelerating away from the roundabout more gently will save on fuel. Running the engine more slowly and on a wider* throttle opening both make it more efficient.

*yes, really! That's why smaller engines are more economical, the throttle is open wider for more of the time. The engineering theory behind this is complex and counter-intuitive.
Old 22 July 2009, 01:51 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Did you tell him to FO, I assume it was your petrol?

BTW don't use your gears, brake pads are cheaper than gearboxes and clutches, brake in a straight line, select the correct gear. You should always be in a gear to match your speed, braking hard will therefore mean missing a gear (i.e. 4 to 2)
Old 22 July 2009, 03:29 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Its not that I wanted lots of power to pull away quickly, but I felt that being in third gear, going at approximately 15 -20 mph didnt give me enough response should I had needed to move rapidly.

For arguements sake, some monkey not indicating they are pulling off, so you need to get a bit of a jump start - ok its a weak scenario, but you get the picture.

I was interested in your opinions of his thought process behind it, whilst its nice to get the most out of a tank of petrol, I wouldnt sacrefice what I would have thought was safer to me and others around me by being able to move quicker should the need arise.
Old 22 July 2009, 03:51 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Depends on the car as well of course. My Skoda TDi vRS will pull quite well from 20mph in third onto a roundabout whilst my wife's 1.8T A3 needs to be in 2nd for a similar maneuver.

I agree that the ability to correctly control a car should be a higher priority than improving the fuel consumption.

Steve
Old 22 July 2009, 08:18 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Your instructor wasn't a Taxi driver by profession was he?

I agree with you, 2nd gear is the better option as it gives you more response should you require it. Safety first, then worry about the foookin fuel ecnomy.

Old 22 July 2009, 08:22 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Where's corradoboy when you need him....

But yes they have changed their approach to driving completely.

In my day it was about confidence and reaching the limit safely...

Now it's probably one big traffic jam.

IMHO

dunx
Old 22 July 2009, 08:49 PM
charlieogden
Scooby Regular

I was always taught look to go but prepare to stop.
My dad was a IAM instructor but lost interest because they don't update there driving techniques with the modern cars. Like in a modern auto on a big hill dropping it into 3rd/2nd to use the engine instead of brakes..Modern brakes will take more than Porlock Hill to make them fade you need a track for that,then stopping distances in the HWcode are they based on a modern car.... no.

Having said this he really enjoyed his self when one of his pupils turned up is a STI....

I drive lorrys and the most important thing is keep the wagon rolling as stopping is a pain in the ***...an low betide anyone who doesn't signal on a roundabout because i will pull out...

But put a IAM member with "interest" in driving fast in a fast car and you have a very smooth, fast, safe journey.
"
Charlie
Old 22 July 2009, 09:22 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Was it your car ?

I have one coming up - 36 in a 30 & first offence for over 15 years

I wasn't planning on driving there - my letter said nothing about needing a car.

It's on a Friday & I'm supposed to be flying back from a business trip overnight & getting a car to drop me straight there - may have to re-think that plan
Old 22 July 2009, 11:21 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alistair
Was it your car ?

I have one coming up - 36 in a 30 & first offence for over 15 years

I wasn't planning on driving there - my letter said nothing about needing a car.

It's on a Friday & I'm supposed to be flying back from a business trip overnight & getting a car to drop me straight there - may have to re-think that plan
Must admit first time I'd heard of a practical so it may well be specific to the OP's area.
Old 23 July 2009, 07:20 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

I had mine in Hatfield, Hertfordshire are one of few that combine the theory and practicle - so others may not have to do this.

You drive the instructors car, which in this case was a 1.4 VW Polo.

Obviously you expect criticism from a driving instructor as he is now judging me by modern standards rather than how I was taught to drive years ago.

I would have expected more comments like, not driving at 10 to 2, hands crossing when steering etc, rather than flipping on his trip computer to help illustrate how good his mpg was when he was driving.
Old 23 July 2009, 12:58 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I reckon it was all down to the individual priorities of your particular instructor. I think in such a situation that their instruction should be standardised.

Les