Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Vitiligo, anyone here got this?

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2009, 02:41 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vitiligo, anyone here got this?

I have found a patch of very white skin on the back of my daughters knee. I just noticed it a few weeks ago. Looked it up and came up with Vitiligo

She sometimes has a bit of excema and i have read that this can be a cause. It often spreads and will appear on the face. It can also be linked to some cancers.

We haven't been to the doctors yet as i know that there is nothing that can be done.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or advise?
Old 21 July 2009, 02:43 PM
Will
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isnt that what Michael Jackson had?
Old 21 July 2009, 02:46 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

I have it, but mostly I am so pale it doesn't even show. I can only see it if I've been out in the sun a lot and tanned a little, but since I do my best to stay out of the sun, that's rare.

It's mainly on my knees and elbows.

Only advice I can offer is be especially careful in the sun as the pale patches are extremely prone to burning.

It's never been a problem for me.
Old 21 July 2009, 03:02 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Yes its the curse om MJ, if he ever really had it, which is doubtful.

Angel only has the one patch TK but i don't know if the patch will grow. I dont even remember it appearing, it was just there one day.

Did your patches appear at the same time and how old was you?
Old 21 July 2009, 03:20 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
Yes its the curse om MJ, if he ever really had it, which is doubtful.

Angel only has the one patch TK but i don't know if the patch will grow. I dont even remember it appearing, it was just there one day.

Did your patches appear at the same time and how old was you?

I actually have no idea because they are mostly not noticable. It's difficult for me to tan. I had eczema as a child, (and still get it mildly, now and again), so it is likely that they developed during childhood. I have several patches but they're all fairly small. I've not been aware of any of them getting bigger once formed. However, I can't remember the last time I had a tan.

I've always been careful about staying out of the sun because I am really fair skinned. However, my brother, who has very similar colouring to me, had malignant skin cancer some years ago and I've been even more careful since.

All I really know about it is that it is unpredictable. For some people it spreads rapidly and for others slowly, or it stops completely. In some cases, especially in children, the patches can repigment by themselves. Oh, and Bob Monkhouse had it.

I'm sorry I can't help more.
Old 21 July 2009, 03:24 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by mr_impreza
Isnt that what Michael Jackson had?
No that was young boys
Old 21 July 2009, 03:27 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TurboKitty
I actually have no idea because they are mostly not noticable. It's difficult for me to tan. I had eczema as a child, (and still get it mildly, now and again), so it is likely that they developed during childhood. I have several patches but they're all fairly small. I've not been aware of any of them getting bigger once formed. However, I can't remember the last time I had a tan.

I've always been careful about staying out of the sun because I am really fair skinned. However, my brother, who has very similar colouring to me, had malignant skin cancer some years ago and I've been even more careful since.

All I really know about it is that it is unpredictable. For some people it spreads rapidly and for others slowly, or it stops completely. In some cases, especially in children, the patches can repigment by themselves. Oh, and Bob Monkhouse had it.

I'm sorry I can't help more.

Does your brother have it too? I read that skin cancer is linked thats why i ask. I hope Angel doesn't get anymore, especially on the face. She has had so much to deal with already.

There is not a lot on the net, i suppose its very individual to the person but no cure or reason why it occurs.

Angel is ok about the patch behind her knee but thats prolly why she is not bothered by it, fingers crossed the wont get any more.

Thanks for sharing it with me
Old 21 July 2009, 03:34 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Lets hope the worst that can happen is a growing profonderance towards bad jokes then
Old 21 July 2009, 03:41 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Sara, as far as I know my brother doesn't have it - but we're not close so I could be wrong. If he does, it's a mild case like mine, and not really noticable.

His skin cancer was on the bend of one of his elbows. He was really lucky - a doctor noticed a mole he didn't like the look of when my brother was there for something else. It turned out to be quite a deep malignant skin cancer, in a fairly advanced stage. He was in surgery a few days later. He passed the 5 year mark a few years ago though and has had no further problems, (other than the Blood Transfusion Service being absolute d!cks about it). It hadn't entered his lymphatic system so other than surgery to remove the cancerous tissue he didn't need any other treatment.

Have you seen this site? http://vitiligocover.com

I've not had a chance to look at in great detail but it seems like there might be some useful info there.
Old 21 July 2009, 03:51 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Your brother was very lucky especially as it wasn't him that spotted it. The fact that skin cancer is linked to the condition, my guess would be that he may well have it, if only very mild.

I think i will get her checked out anyway

I will reat the info later on, cheers