Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Well Driven Cars

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2009, 10:52 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well Driven Cars

A lot of threads moaning about other drivers, so how about some examples of good driving, I dropped my lad off at school in Macclesfield to go on a school holiday, it was about 5am by the time I started the nine mile drive home, nice windy roads but I was in the people carrier which is a 2.0 TDCI new shape Galaxy, not ideal for those roads but its competent enough being based on the new Mondeo.

Anyway, an old Pug 306, Bog spec pulls out and I thought I would be stuck behind it, I followed and the speed picked up, the guy driving it obviously new the roads but was flying, positioning was perfect (in my limited knowledge), he was setting the car up before then bend, didnt take any blind corners at daft speed, very sparing with the brakes, safe but very very quick and i was only just keeping up, my stability control light flashed a few times.

I think racing drivers should be picked from the drivers of knackered old french hatches in rural areas !

We need a few new threads to distract you lot from infighting and talking about Matteeboy
Old 21 July 2009, 11:01 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a smooth operator, which is always the answer to controlling machinery.

What does the stability control light flashing mean J4CKO, I don't have experience of anything like that.

Les
Old 21 July 2009, 11:03 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

When I was in the Police we did the driver courses, grade5 then 4 then 3 then class1. When you are on the courses you learn a driving system that allows you to judge corners at speed, corners you dont know.
When you are responding its sometimes at night, at speed and in an area you dont know so being able to understand how a corner is opening up is super important.

To this day I can tell if someone is a police driver from the way they set the cars up for corners.
It sounds like maybe the pug was old bill!!! (personal car). I know a lot of people police bash on here, and I know this thread is not about that but the driving I was taught in the police should be standard across the country.

Glad you put up a positive thread
Old 21 July 2009, 11:22 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I used to work for the Police, I did a days course so I could drive Police vehicles on the insurance as it was a stipulation, got some good pointers from the instructor driving a Riot van and then a Vectra, was apparently only meant to do a quick round the block but was there all day, they must have been stuck for something to do.

Les, the stability light is there to tell you when you have overdone it, I suspect its what we used to do via the seat of the pants, now the car just keeps you within the envelope
of the vehicles handling, the skilled dont really need it and it hampers on a track but to be honest though I can throw a car about I dont know if I am that good at it, I cant anticipate everything and we drive the kids round so I will happily have it fitted, it never gets tired, it doesnt get bored and to be honest for the times it comes on you dont notice it unless going stupid, here is a video of on versus off, funnily enough same car as ours.

thatcham.org | Safety | Traffic Collision Avoidance Systems | Electronic Stability Control | How it works

I am always sceptical of those who dont advocate these systems, ok they need to be able to be switched off, I remember working with a guy who bought an ex company Rover 800, he bemoaned the standard fit ABS and we were in it, discussing it and he didnt hold with it and was considering disabling, it, his decision was made by the tractor pulling out that he hadnt noticed because he was too busy going on about safe, controlled cadence braking and good car control rather than electronics, he swerved, braked and avoided (only just) the tractor, no way would he have missed it without ABS kicking in, he shut up after that, fairly sure he had crapped himself, he was shortly diagnosed with advanced glaucoma which was bad but the pillock had been driving round pontificating wondering why he had no periperhal vision ?
Old 21 July 2009, 11:24 AM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

My car is allways well driven.
Old 21 July 2009, 11:28 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Saw a bloke who was speeding "correctly" on the M1

keeping to the left, always indicating, and generally doing this in a way i would agree with
Old 21 July 2009, 11:31 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

i was following a lowered astra diesel in cornwall the other day, and the driver was absolutely perfect. pure text book stuff and definately the product of an advanced driving course.
He did however make too much use of the mirrors (which seemed to be pointed at him) and he got out and did some press-ups at the traffic lights, but other that that, pure driving perfection personified.

well done

Old 21 July 2009, 12:49 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

I am amazed each and every day at how well I drive my vehicles .... thanks for the chance to share my experiences
Old 21 July 2009, 12:52 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I used to work for the Police, I did a days course so I could drive Police vehicles on the insurance as it was a stipulation, got some good pointers from the instructor driving a Riot van and then a Vectra, was apparently only meant to do a quick round the block but was there all day, they must have been stuck for something to do.

Les, the stability light is there to tell you when you have overdone it, I suspect its what we used to do via the seat of the pants, now the car just keeps you within the envelope
of the vehicles handling, the skilled dont really need it and it hampers on a track but to be honest though I can throw a car about I dont know if I am that good at it, I cant anticipate everything and we drive the kids round so I will happily have it fitted, it never gets tired, it doesnt get bored and to be honest for the times it comes on you dont notice it unless going stupid, here is a video of on versus off, funnily enough same car as ours.

thatcham.org | Safety | Traffic Collision Avoidance Systems | Electronic Stability Control | How it works

I am always sceptical of those who dont advocate these systems, ok they need to be able to be switched off, I remember working with a guy who bought an ex company Rover 800, he bemoaned the standard fit ABS and we were in it, discussing it and he didnt hold with it and was considering disabling, it, his decision was made by the tractor pulling out that he hadnt noticed because he was too busy going on about safe, controlled cadence braking and good car control rather than electronics, he swerved, braked and avoided (only just) the tractor, no way would he have missed it without ABS kicking in, he shut up after that, fairly sure he had crapped himself, he was shortly diagnosed with advanced glaucoma which was bad but the pillock had been driving round pontificating wondering why he had no periperhal vision ?
Yes ok, thanks J4CKO. I was just curious what it was indicating was happening to the car. Maybe as you say its the same as the seat of the pants stuff when it senses the beginning of a bit of breakaway of the wheels.

No I don't decry the use of things to make driving safer. ABS is a very useful aid to have as well.

Les
Old 21 July 2009, 12:56 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Us macc lads cant half drive!

If you want a challenging road, get up Buxton rd before the safety wombles put the cameras up next year, its an ace rd with changing cambers and hairpin bends mixed with long straights!
Old 21 July 2009, 01:37 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I raced an Audi TT up some country roads yesterday, not sure which version but i doubt it was a powerful yoke as it couldn't pull away from me until my gearbox FAILED

Was rather proud of my little car although I now don't have 4th gear, so basically I fail to meet the requirements of this thread.

Last edited by Jamz3k; 21 July 2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 21 July 2009, 05:07 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX_Dazza
i was following a lowered astra diesel in cornwall the other day, and the driver was absolutely perfect. pure text book stuff and definately the product of an advanced driving course.
He did however make too much use of the mirrors (which seemed to be pointed at him) and he got out and did some press-ups at the traffic lights, but other that that, pure driving perfection personified.

well done

Not that I am into mocking other users (much), that was quite good.
Old 21 July 2009, 05:21 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Not that I am into mocking other users (much), that was quite good.
Indeed it was good
Old 22 July 2009, 12:04 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX_Dazza

well done

Made oi larf!

Les
Old 22 July 2009, 12:43 PM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
Didi it have a sufr board on the roof rack?
I've spilt my Coke now (the drink not the blow!)