Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Car Trailers?

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2009, 01:51 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Car Trailers?

As in to transport a car. I passed my test to tow a trailer yesterday(I sat my driving test after 1997, so need an extra license to tow) so I'm looking for a trailer to tow cars up to around the size of an Impreza.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what make and rough size to go for? I'll be looking to buy second hand.

Any advice at all as this will the be first trailer I've bought.

Thanks

Alan

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 16 July 2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 16 July 2009, 02:36 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Brian James clubman would be ideal- as would pretty much any Brian James. Also look at Woodford and PRG.

I'd steer clear of stuff that looks home-made, as loads of people make them from welding some runners to the chassis' of old caravans and they're horrible to tow and flex loads.

I'd keep an eye on pistonheads classifieds and ebay, but expect to pay about £1k upwards for anything decent. A good trailer will last you years though.

One word of warning- with any of the above- BJ, PRG etc, be reasonably certain who you're buying it from, and keep it secure when you've got it. They do tend to be highly sought after, so make sure its not nicked.
Old 16 July 2009, 02:40 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info.

Are there any numbers on them etc to make sure they aren't stolen?

Oh and it would have to be a proper one, not homemade! Brian James is at the top of the list so far then.
Old 16 July 2009, 02:44 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Yep, should have serial numbers.

You won't go far wrong with any of them that I've mentioned- we have two woodford clubman trailers for the race cars at the moment, although my personal preference is BJ.

I've towed some real shi te in my time, and its just not worth the aggravation- buy cheap, buy twice. Look out for options like centre decks and tyre racks as many poeple just looking for a car transporter don't want them- so don't bid.
Old 16 July 2009, 02:54 PM
JRFRACE
Scooby Regular

Another vote for Brian James from me! buying second hand is tricky, a lot of people are selling because the trailer is shagged, though there will be some good genuine ones out there.

Security is a big issue, clamp it and get one of the clamps that goes over the hitch, but the best piece of advice i can give is if at all possible store it out of sight. We had one nicked with all the security stuff on it, the ******* brought cutting gear with them, we found the bits on the drive.

Since then the new one has lived in the garage, though it is a pain in the *** don't want another going missing.
Old 16 July 2009, 02:59 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
Yep, should have serial numbers.

You won't go far wrong with any of them that I've mentioned- we have two woodford clubman trailers for the race cars at the moment, although my personal preference is BJ.

I've towed some real shi te in my time, and its just not worth the aggravation- buy cheap, buy twice. Look out for options like centre decks and tyre racks as many poeple just looking for a car transporter don't want them- so don't bid.
Ok cheers. I am definitely looking for something quite decent as I want a trailer that follows the line of the towing vehicle well. As you say, the crap ones won't do that!

Originally Posted by JRFRACE
Another vote for Brian James from me! buying second hand is tricky, a lot of people are selling because the trailer is shagged, though there will be some good genuine ones out there.

Security is a big issue, clamp it and get one of the clamps that goes over the hitch, but the best piece of advice i can give is if at all possible store it out of sight. We had one nicked with all the security stuff on it, the ******* brought cutting gear with them, we found the bits on the drive.

Since then the new one has lived in the garage, though it is a pain in the *** don't want another going missing.
Security won't be a problem, but thanks for the advice. I would store it well out of sight and would probably be able to find out who had taken it anyway!

So Brian James so far. I'll get looking on Ebay etc.
Old 16 July 2009, 03:11 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Remember cars have limits on weight of trailer that they can tow. Both for braked and unbraked trailers but I expect you know this. If in doubt buy an old Landie!

Are you getting a tipping trailer with a winch because you will be able to make some serious pocket money loading mate's broken down vehicles?

Around here Ifor Williams are the trailer kings.

dl
Old 16 July 2009, 03:15 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Thanks. I understand you can only legally tow 80% of the weight of the towing vehicle?

Also, I had thought about getting one with a winch because I would be looking to build a track car starting with a rolling shell! As you say though, there would be money to be made too.

Edited to say - I presume a winch would add to the cost?
Old 16 July 2009, 03:15 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Ifor Williams make some of the best trailers out there, but their car transporters are a bit heavy.
Old 16 July 2009, 03:18 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

The Brian James tilters are ace and are so much easier than fooking about with ramps, particularly when its wet and windy. They even do an auto tilt that uses the weight of the vehicle to tilt it. The down side is that they tend to be the heavier trailers.
Old 16 July 2009, 03:27 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Just the job .. Trailers : Brian James 2100 Clubman Trailer
Old 16 July 2009, 03:33 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Looks like a pretty decent trailer. Price can always be negotiated slightly too. I was expecting to pay just over a grand, but if the right one came up I would pay more.

Will need to have a good look at a few.

Cheers
Old 16 July 2009, 03:46 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
As in to transport a car. I passed my test to tow a trailer yesterday(I sat my driving test after 1997, so need an extra license to tow) so I'm looking for a trailer to tow cars up to around the size of an Impreza.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what make and rough size to go for? I'll be looking to buy second hand.

Any advice at all as this will the be first trailer I've bought.

Thanks

Alan
I too passed in 98, so in theory should have an additional license for some of the things i might tow. What's involved in the test.. and how much ££ ?

Cheers

Avi
Old 16 July 2009, 03:59 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

I passed in 2004!

I did a 3 day course which was £475 - over £100 of that being the test fee.

You will find it difficult to find an instructor/driving school that will just give you a few lessons: they usually insist on booking a block or a course as above.

I would strongly recommend doing a course as there are very few people who could go and pass a driving test again without dropping a lot of bad habbits. Also, the trailer test is looked at as a more advanced driving test like the HGV etc. The examiners are looking for the same standard of driving in the test, but obviously the difference is in the size of the vehicle!

If you have any other questions about the test just ask.
Old 16 July 2009, 06:23 PM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
Thanks. I understand you can only legally tow 80% of the weight of the towing vehicle?
Not true, each vehicle will have a towing limit listed in the owners manual. The caravan club RECOMMEND not towing over 80% but by the time you have got a decent trailer (few hundred kg) you would need a seriously light car if you want to tow with a standard type saloon.

For example my landrover weighs in at about 2000kg but can legally tow 3500kg.

My only advice is to start towing something that weighs less than the car doing the towing, if you end up with a problem it will be a lot easier to regain control. Also when loading the trailer make sure the nose weight is right. It makes a hell of a difference to how a trailer tows.
Old 16 July 2009, 06:34 PM
Wagwann
Scooby Regular

hey m8 how much it cost you? and wot did you av 2 do 2 pass?
Old 16 July 2009, 07:22 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kev_turbo
Not true, each vehicle will have a towing limit listed in the owners manual. The caravan club RECOMMEND not towing over 80% but by the time you have got a decent trailer (few hundred kg) you would need a seriously light car if you want to tow with a standard type saloon.

For example my landrover weighs in at about 2000kg but can legally tow 3500kg.

My only advice is to start towing something that weighs less than the car doing the towing, if you end up with a problem it will be a lot easier to regain control. Also when loading the trailer make sure the nose weight is right. It makes a hell of a difference to how a trailer tows.
I'll be towing a saloon sized car so will need to either get a decent 4x4/van or just risk the trailer driving me.

Originally Posted by louileach
hey m8 how much it cost you? and wot did you av 2 do 2 pass?
I posted a bit of a write up in a thread on Passionford, so here it is to save me typing it all out again. anyone done the b+e trailor test? - PassionFord
Old 16 July 2009, 08:01 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I use my Volvo XC70 to tow the RA & hire a Brian James tilt trailer. Car recommended towing limit is 1800 and that about matches the trailler/car combo. Depending on budget they can be had quite cheaply and are comfortable, return good mpg (diesels anyway) and look more of a car than a regular 4x4
Old 16 July 2009, 08:39 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I bet you're right on the limit though P
Old 16 July 2009, 09:18 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Prolly, but it works

Must lighten the scoob a bit more though...

Last edited by Puff The Magic Wagon!; 16 July 2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 16 July 2009, 09:49 PM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

i have a works landy 110 i pull 3.5ton all day nearly every day cant beat it for towing also have a brian james tilting trailer with winch best bit of kit ever you can make good money from mates but becarefull doing mates favours all the time!!! i also had to do the trailer test work paid for it i had to have 4 days "training" had to lose some bad habits but to any one who just wants to book there test its harder than it looks !!
Old 16 July 2009, 09:58 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Too right mate, that's the hardest I've concentrated for ages!

Looks like it's going to be a Brian James or ifor Williams.