Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

would you pay?

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2009, 04:14 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Question would you pay?

I cancelled an insurance policy about 4 months ago on a car I got rid of as it wasnt my thing, I made a phone call got the usual banter about staying with them but the car was sold and it wasnt needed. so I left it at that. cancelled the direct debit with the bank as i always do.

I also followed this up with an email to the broker confirming that I required it to be cancelled.

well when I bought my current car, I rang the insurance company up and asked for it to be insured, they tell me that the old policy is still running do i want to add it onto that one? I explained that it was meant to have been cancelled and I wouldnt be paying for any mess up on their behalf, the person agreed and said it must have ben n oversight on their part. so I said yes please that saves messing about as you have all the details, and didnt think anymore of it.

anyway the company has tried to take a large amount from my account to pay for the monthly instalments and I didnt have the funds to cover it so my bank cancelled the DD for me.

I had a call last week saying you owe 4 months worth of payments, bearing in mind id only had the car covered for under a month, I refused to pay stating the above and they said they would call me back later, I got a call from them whilst I was driving so I pulled over and they hung up before I could stop.

today I have recieved a nasty letter saying I owe £164 for what is basically a months insurance on a basic car. I would expect to pay that for a ferrari or something but not an alfa romeo lol.

what should I do??? gisc? ombudsman?? Im not sure how to approach it as I have used the company in the past with no issues and I really like the broker I talk to and I would hope to use them in the future, ( hence no names mentioned)

your input and opinion please,

Last edited by Jamo; 11 July 2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11 July 2009, 04:36 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go straight back to the broker if I were you. Since you sent them an email confirming cancellation, both you and they have proof that the policy should have been cancelled.
Old 11 July 2009, 04:42 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I have checked and my sent folder has been cleared since I sent it. I have tried to contact the broker but I can never seem to get hold of him anymore.
Old 11 July 2009, 05:00 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Letter to insurers explaining THEIR problem, asking for THEIR help to sort it. To the head of whichever dept is pursuing you for money.

It's what I did for my eldest when he had probs with Tesco not wanting to give him his 2 yrs ncd when he moved to Privilege. Got a letter back within a week with confirmation of his correct ncd.
Old 11 July 2009, 05:37 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I have direct debits for just that reason. They can run on if you don't check or simply forget about them.

Too late this time but please ALWAYS keep a hard copy print-off of cancellations.

My daughter wasn't checking her account but when she did found she was paying £25 per month for phone insurance when the company knew they had replaced the phone under contract over a year before.

dl