Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Thinking of going to Dublin

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2009, 08:15 AM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of going to Dublin

I am thinking about going to Dublin in August as the mrs said she would take me for my Birthday. I have always fancied going to Dublin just after your views i knows its bloody expensive when you are there. We were planning on going for 2 nights and 1 night i would like to go to see the irish dancing and have a meal there. What other things are good to see and do in Dublin. We are both 25 if that helps

Would you recommend going ?
Old 07 July 2009, 09:07 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Ruined by stag / hen parties. If you want a true Irish experience look elsewhere
Old 07 July 2009, 09:15 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

It's noit that bad, but as cd says, it's a bit of a tourist experience.

I'd recommend buying one of the bus tickets that allows you to use the tour buses all day, you can get around, get on/get off where you like, find things you want to see etc. The tour guides on them will recommend eateries etc if you ask.

I WOULD recommend booking early if you want to eat in the Temple bar area, or be prepared to either be disappointed, or have to wait an age.

If going at a weekend, be prepared for not much to be open on the sunday, plus what IS open, not until 10:00-10:30.
Old 07 July 2009, 09:53 AM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Go to dublin every other year for the six nations.

I think it is a cracking place to go for a weekend break. Can recommend here to stay

Dublin Hotels, City Centre Hotels, Dublinhotels, Hotel in Dublin, Cheap Hotels in Dublin, Late Deals, Breaks, City Centre, Dublin Accommodation, Accommodation in Dublin, Temple Bar, 3 Star, Airport Hotels, Dublin Apartments, Map Of Dublin, City Centr

Have stayed there the last couple of times, good prices, right on the edge of temple bar and the rooms are nice.

Guinness factory is a must, even if for just a beer on the top floor. There are some nice walks along the river as well. Apart from that others can advise on things to see as we were mainly drinking.

If you want to keep costs down look for pubs not in temple bar, our rounds there were 55 euros but on the back streets we were paying 35 for the same. You also find some cracking irish boozers this way.

Eating wise there are plenty of restaurants on the fringe of temple bar that are quite good value for money. In temple bar itself it does tend to get expensive.

If your flying in get the bus to the city centre. Not really any slower than a taxi and a quater of the price.

Chop
Old 07 July 2009, 01:11 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chopper.
If your flying in get the bus to the city centre. Not really any slower than a taxi and a quater of the price.
But if you're in a group (3-4 or more) get a taxi, cheaper and more convenient than the bus (+ I hate public transport ).
Old 07 July 2009, 01:54 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
But if you're in a group (3-4 or more) get a taxi, cheaper and more convenient than the bus (+ I hate public transport ).
Totally agree, we always get a mini bus on rugby tours but poster says him and his mrs are going. IIRC taxi's are 50ish euros each way whereas the bus was 7.50 each way. A good 30-35 euro saving for a journey that probably only takes 10-15 longer.

Chop
Old 07 July 2009, 05:55 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Templebar is a rip off

So busy its a nightmare to get served and messy as **** ...
Old 07 July 2009, 09:09 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Depends on what your thing is....

Fairly decent spot for a bit of shopping of thats your thing.

Stop for a coffee at Bewleys in Grafton Street - awesome coffee in a place with real atmosphere and character. There is lunchtime theatre there and some good evening entertainment details here.

Bewleys Cafe Theatre - Premier Dublin Venue

Dublin zoo / Phoenix park are quite nice to spend an afternoon wandering around.

There is the Guinness brewery and Jamesons distillery which are worth a visit. The city bus tour is quite good for a bit of history. Have a wander round Trinity college and learn about the book of kells.

If you want to see some irish dancing Riverdance is running at the Gaiety theatre in South King Street until August, very tightly choreographed performance and I think the music is performed live at this also, but its not exactly traditional.

For an evening with a more traditional feel seek out information about the "Irish house party", I think its held in the Lansdowne Hotel in Dublin 4, a little expensive but a good night.

My wife and I travel down for the day a couple of times of year mostly around christmas. We would tend to pass on by dublin in favour of some peace and quiet in the wicklow area, usually staying in Roundwood, a bit easier for us travelling by car.

Last edited by tarmac terror; 07 July 2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07 July 2009, 09:28 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Good night out

well it was approx 4 years ago when we went.

If you do go make sure you arrange a taxi to pick you up before you go - gets a bit hectic at closing and it's in the middle of nowhere !
Old 07 July 2009, 09:40 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasey
Good night out

well it was approx 4 years ago when we went.

If you do go make sure you arrange a taxi to pick you up before you go - gets a bit hectic at closing and it's in the middle of nowhere !
This man speaks the truth.... If you miss the last taxi from here you are definately fecked.... You can always set up camp in hell fire wood.
Old 07 July 2009, 10:07 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sooner you than me