Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

My son hit a car advice needed !

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2009, 05:06 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My son hit a car advice needed !

My boy is 10 years old and coming home from school he tells me that he clipped a woman's door with his handlebars.He did stop and i think see was a bit upset,Then I get a call from the headmaster to let me know what's happened he has told me that there is a dent in the door and she wants to let my wife and I know what has happened.
What am I meant to do in a situation like this just apologise or argue the fact that she was possibly blocking the pavement and should have been a little bit more careful when opening the doors in a busy school run area ???
Old 29 June 2009, 05:09 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Your post doesn't say if it was your boy's fault (i.e. he clipped it unitnetionally) or whether it was the car's fault (i.e. a door was opened on him and he couldn't avoid clipping it).
Suggest you get the full story form him and the car owner before you start discussing liability.
Old 29 June 2009, 05:10 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

What are the facts?

Did your son ride on the pavement?

Did the woman open her door without looking?

Steve
Old 29 June 2009, 05:24 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks 23
Your post doesn't say if it was your boy's fault (i.e. he clipped it unitnetionally) or whether it was the car's fault (i.e. a door was opened on him and he couldn't avoid clipping it).
Suggest you get the full story form him and the car owner before you start discussing liability.
Hi
Now you have to remember I am trying to get the truth from a 10 year old boy which is like getting blood from a stone.
I think the door was already open and he has tried to squeeze around and clipped it.
Old 29 June 2009, 05:25 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Sounds like it's his fault then

If it were me, I'd offer to pay for the damage in much the same way that I'd hope any damage to my car would be paid for if the boot were on the other foot.

Steve

Last edited by Steve vRS; 29 June 2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Spelling!
Old 29 June 2009, 05:27 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Sherwen
What are the facts?

Did your son ride on the pavement?

Did the woman open her door without looking?

Steve
Hi
yes he was on the pavement he is only 10 years old and to young to ride on the road till he is 12 I think.
I think the door was open and he has tried to squeeze around and clipped the door.
Old 29 June 2009, 05:30 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Sounds like it's his fault then

If it were me, I'd offer to pay for the damage in much the same way that I'd hope any damage to my car would be paid for if the boot were on the other foot.

Steve
Might have to take it out of his pocket money probably going to take about 2 years to pay it off
Old 29 June 2009, 05:31 PM
V5RLTD
Scooby Regular

I would speak to the car owner and see what happened. If it doesnt need paint, a pdr guy should be able to get the dent out for around £30. I would just sort it out that way.
Old 29 June 2009, 05:34 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by V5RVLTD
I would speak to the car owner and see what happened. If it doesnt need paint, a pdr guy should be able to get the dent out for around £30. I would just sort it out that way.
Bloody kids
Old 29 June 2009, 05:34 PM
Merry Melons
BANNED

Firstly he stopped after damaging the door so hats off to the youngster, you should pay up though as its the right thing to do.
Old 29 June 2009, 05:35 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

You are not allowed to ride a bike on the pavement at any age but it is possible to argue that an under 10's can as they are below the age of criminal responsibility i.e. they didn't know it was wrong.

Steve
Old 29 June 2009, 05:36 PM
Merry Melons
BANNED

You are not allowed to ride a bike on the pavement at any age but it is possible to argue that an under 10's can as they are below the age of criminal responsibility i.e. they didn't know it was wrong.

Steve
That then puts the parent at fault as they should be supervising the child, so it's check book time me thinks.
Old 29 June 2009, 05:40 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

If it turns out expensive, your contents insurance may cover him/you. Worth asking.
Old 29 June 2009, 05:45 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

If the car was parked on the pavement then that is illegal, then offer a 50% settlement.
Old 29 June 2009, 05:58 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
If the car was parked on the pavement then that is illegal, then offer a 50% settlement.
No the car was parked on the road the problem was the pavement is very narrow once the door was open there is hardly any room to get passed.
Old 29 June 2009, 06:01 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Steve
The ironic thing is that the school is doing a campaign to get all the children to ride to school
Old 29 June 2009, 06:04 PM
charlieogden
Scooby Regular

Steve
The thing with not being 'allowed' to cycle on the pavement, is that and human on a bike hitting another human(walking) at worst there maybe a broken leg. But a bike hitting a car...all im saying is that i will never let my "kids" cycle on the road.
I cycle to work and as soon as possible im on that pavement, have had too many near misses with dumb ***** in cars. Having said that im very cautious on it and the pavements i use are empty and about 2.5 meters wide. Its not until you cycle everyday that soon realize you are risking you life on the road.
Keep him on the pavement with a blank cheque in his lunch box.....

Charlie
Old 29 June 2009, 06:08 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Just to let you all know that I would never let my son ride on the road to school with the amount of mums dropping off in there 4x4's. His journey is only about 200 yards and does not have to cross any roads and I personally think that he can do it unsupervised. He has to start somewhere.
Old 29 June 2009, 06:16 PM
yoza
BANNED

Speak to the driver and see what mood she is in, guage it from there.

Do you drive, does your wife drive, do you have protected no claims, what is your excess...totally ramdom questions but Im doing a survey on 10 years olds parents car insurance status.

Last edited by yoza; 29 June 2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 29 June 2009, 06:19 PM
Merry Melons
BANNED

Originally Posted by yoza
Speak to the driver and see what watch she was wearing, guage it from there.

Do you wear a watch, does your wife, do you have more than one watch, what is your favourite watch...totally random questions but I'm doing a survey on watches.
Old 29 June 2009, 06:26 PM
yoza
BANNED

Very good.
Old 29 June 2009, 06:26 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

MM, for a Newbie, you learn quickly
Old 29 June 2009, 07:08 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

MM you had better watch it. ;-)
Old 29 June 2009, 07:27 PM
noblechris
Scooby Regular

on a serious note...was she driving a scooby?......no,,,,

don't need to worry then m8
Old 29 June 2009, 11:28 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

I worked with a guy years back whos son totalled the door on a volvo with a pushbike. There was something in his house insurance that covered the cost of repairing the damage. Dig out your policy and check.

Depends on your moral stance, you could advise the car owner to put it through her insurance and pay her the excess (assuming she doesn't have a £400 excess), or split the cost 50:50 as there is no clear version of what happened.
Old 29 June 2009, 11:56 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

well done to your son for stopping and for then admitting it to you! When you say the woman was upset... in what way? I hope she dealt with the situation in an adult manner like your son obviously did

I'd go with the dent removal idea - it may just be a slight ding which can be pushed out.... she shouldnt have been obstructing the path with her car door anyway, and AFAIK i too thought under 12's could ride on a path..?
Old 30 June 2009, 12:03 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's late but I seem to remember something in the highway code about not opening doors onto the pavement....

Shaun
Old 30 June 2009, 01:22 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

FYI

The Highway Code Rule 64.

DFT

Q. Are children allowed to cycle on pavements?

A. Whilst there is no exemption to this law for children, the police have always used common sense and discretion in exercising their powers over children cycling on the pavement. Very young children should not be expected to cycle on the road and we would not recommend any child does so until they have received cycle training. Enforcement of cycling on pavements is usually dealt with by a fixed penalty notice, which cannot be issued to anyone under the age of 16.
Old 30 June 2009, 07:51 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to ride on the pavements everywhere at that age. All kids do, and thank god. I would accept he is in the wrong and accept responsibility/pay. But don't stop him riding his bike on the pavement...sh*t happens, and it was only a one off accident.
Old 30 June 2009, 08:41 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Doesn't matter what the details were, or if he should have been on the road or pavement.

Your child, who is your responsibility, damaged someone elses property - therefore you should pay for the repair. There isn't any black and white, he told you he did it, why should the car owner have to put their hand in their own pocket for something your child has done ?

Morally it is the right thing to do ( and I suspect you know this, which is why you are posting about it in the first place ) - in the same way as if he kicked a football through someone's greenhouse - you pay to get it fixed, and tell him to be more careful ( stopping his pocket money for a few weeks would be a good plan, help him to remember to be more careful in the future ! ).

I'm sure if the tables were turned you would want the childs parents to offer to pay for the repair on your car, without having to force them to do it or getting into an argument - a reasonable person would offer straight away in any case.

Quick Reply: My son hit a car advice needed !