Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

nokia n97

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2009, 01:12 PM
shawn r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nokia n97

well had mine a day now and think its grreat. Who else got one and what do you think of it. Any good apps about?
Old 27 June 2009, 01:45 PM
Ste RB5138
Scooby Regular

Intersting to see how you get on, It will probably be my next phone when my contract is up in Sept. I have had no problems at all with my Nokia N95 8GB
Old 27 June 2009, 07:51 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

24 hrs in here as well

not sure tbh... lol

its a good phone, dont get me wrong, but i really miss a joystick / thumb control...

if the G1 had more memory, better camera, and a headphone socket, i,d have had that....

That said. i havnt really played with it lol....time to get stuck in methinks

Mart
Old 27 June 2009, 10:48 PM
johnemerson38
Scooby Regular

i have had mine from june 22nd
got it from mobile phones direct on vodafone £35 for unlimited text,internet and 600 mins got the phone for free on a 18 month contract think i got a good deal

think its is really nice it has crashed a few times but nothing that bad i got all my apps and games from Symbian S60v5 Forum
Old 28 June 2009, 08:42 AM
ianc61
Scooby Regular

I have had mine a few months now, no problems with it apart from it always go to sleep mode so the screen goes black and you can't see the clock. It also does this when using the GPS feature, which is particularly annoying. I did a search on the net and it seems it cannot be fixed. Everything else works ok though.
Old 29 June 2009, 05:34 PM
shawn r
Scooby Regular

good place that. anyone else know of any good sites for apps and games for the n97 and same sort of phone?r?
Old 01 July 2009, 04:47 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Just got mine too.

Quite a few frustrations so far:
  • Touch screen doesn't seem half as useful and intuitive as i Phone - scrolling is sticky/juddery and often click-opens stuff up rather than scrolls page. It also feels upside down to me - drag slider down to scroll but drag screen up to do same
  • Loads of 5" long 'cant find WLAN' errors which locks it out - I know mate, I'm doing 70 in the car at the mo!
  • Cant seem to click a link in e-mails
  • Difficult to paste a copied link - no CTRL+V or menu paste options in many modes.
  • Easy set up for gmail was great as well as having it on 'desktop' - but doesn't send and no option to pull every 10 mins. It just sits there dead till you click 'connect' or dig deeper in menus for 'download all'.
  • No delivery reports incoming for texts on mine - was fine on N95.
  • ANOTHER new car mount and charger to buy - nothing like N95 I had
  • Looks absolutely DEAD and so OFF when not in use!

On the good side the full size keyboard is great, and battery life seems pretty good too; it also has serious internal memory. But I think my initial impression is a bit dissapointed - maybe I'll find workarounds and maybe its me who needs to work it out a bit more on some points (the manual is VERY slim for such a complex device).

D
Old 01 July 2009, 07:22 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

can you get Grinder on it?
Old 01 July 2009, 07:56 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
Just got mine too.

Quite a few frustrations so far:
  • Touch screen doesn't seem half as useful and intuitive as i Phone - scrolling is sticky/juddery and often click-opens stuff up rather than scrolls page. It also feels upside down to me - drag slider down to scroll but drag screen up to do same
  • Loads of 5" long 'cant find WLAN' errors which locks it out - I know mate, I'm doing 70 in the car at the mo!
  • Cant seem to click a link in e-mails
  • Difficult to paste a copied link - no CTRL+V or menu paste options in many modes.
  • Easy set up for gmail was great as well as having it on 'desktop' - but doesn't send and no option to pull every 10 mins. It just sits there dead till you click 'connect' or dig deeper in menus for 'download all'.
  • No delivery reports incoming for texts on mine - was fine on N95.
  • ANOTHER new car mount and charger to buy - nothing like N95 I had
  • Looks absolutely DEAD and so OFF when not in use!

On the good side the full size keyboard is great, and battery life seems pretty good too; it also has serious internal memory. But I think my initial impression is a bit dissapointed - maybe I'll find workarounds and maybe its me who needs to work it out a bit more on some points (the manual is VERY slim for such a complex device).

D

Check out Nokia Users - Nokia Software, News, Forums, and Reviews!

theres a new firmware out today i think

its a bit buggy, but improvements are on the way

Mart
Old 01 July 2009, 08:46 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Old 01 July 2009, 08:56 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by warrenm2
can you get Grinder on it?

oh hellllooo sailor
Old 10 July 2009, 09:00 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Missus's n97 went back to orange today phone was resetting itself 3 times + a day freezing and to top it off the camera stopped working.

Anyone else had any problems? after the pita I have had with my n96 I think we will be staying away from nokias in the future
Old 11 July 2009, 11:02 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

I remember saying I'd never touch Sony Ericson after wasting a lot of money on a very un-functional P990. Nokia has been far better for me.

Really starting to like my N97 - at last. It really is a mini laptop so is saving me some time.

Its very buggy though throughout and the touch screen isn't in the same league as i phones. Battery life, 16:9 screen and keyboard make up for this though.

I'll stick with it (and guessing the functions and how things work - when I get stuck I contact 16year old kids on web fora as Nokia find this far more profitable than making proper manuals!)

D
Old 11 July 2009, 11:23 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
I remember saying I'd never touch Sony Ericson after wasting a lot of money on a very un-functional P990. Nokia has been far better for me.

Really starting to like my N97 - at last. It really is a mini laptop so is saving me some time.

Its very buggy though throughout and the touch screen isn't in the same league as i phones. Battery life, 16:9 screen and keyboard make up for this though.

I'll stick with it (and guessing the functions and how things work - when I get stuck I contact 16year old kids on web fora as Nokia find this far more profitable than making proper manuals!)

D
The touch screen will never be in the same league as the i phone due to it being a capacitive type, as opposed to resistive.

Yes the ahem phone has many unique and clever features, and some shocking ones as well but as with all makes & models of phones to date, not one of them has delivered everything in one package

each phone has a selling point for each user, for me it was camera, memory & keyboard & headphone jack.. on the downside, no joystick

Mart
Old 11 July 2009, 11:47 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

N97 has a joypad. Very useful for when dragging the screen doesnt produce a scroll (Facebook app etc). So buggy, but as you say - arent they all! D
Old 11 July 2009, 12:25 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

You wouldn't have these problems with a iPhone
Old 11 July 2009, 12:43 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by antc
I know mate - you can even MMS with them now cant you? D
Old 11 July 2009, 01:09 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Fanboy..burn him
Old 11 July 2009, 05:29 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

And copy and paste . I've not used mms once lol
Old 12 July 2009, 09:24 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Got mine yesterday, parallel running with my N95 at the moment, but first impressions - love it
Old 12 July 2009, 10:05 AM
scooby(puppy power)
Scooby Regular

i was thinking of one of these after my iphone which has to be the crappest phone on the market even after the software update, do flash and java applications work on the n97 when your on the web ?
Old 12 July 2009, 10:51 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby(puppy power)
i was thinking of one of these after my iphone which has to be the crappest phone on the market even after the software update,
Oh you have said it now, all the Iphone lovers will be storming in with their stakes! lol
Old 12 July 2009, 10:52 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

And copy and paste . I've not used mms once lol
Its got a right click? Love it - take heed Nokia!

Scooby Pup: Re Flash and Java... Well You Tube works both with the app and straight via browser so Flash is good. Give me a URL and I'll try it for you.

Annoyingly it doesn't hyperlink URL's from e-mail (unless you use the GMail app - which is great) and copying and pasting URL's is a very difficult fiddly affair.

Ironically I hate the mobile Scoobynet site on it and so tend not to go there. The text is tiny, the 'reply' text box is smaller than a postage stamp and it looks like a basic boring basic text page. Bythe time I've zoomed in and scrolled around I've lost patience! The std HTML site would suit me better - but I cant see a button to get it to default to this.

Nokia are really winding me up with the abysmal lack of detailed info though - can you find an EXACT spec for what video it will play? And please dont say 'MP4' - the answer is a paragraph long of geeky MP4 encoding details! Trial and error is drawing a blank! There has to be a better way!!!

D
Old 12 July 2009, 11:10 AM
scooby(puppy power)
Scooby Regular

you tube works on the i phone as its got its own app which is good, my lad always trys to go on a site called funnygames which is all flash and java based and they never work, also other sites cant remember which ones now come up with a blue box when there should be moving pictures or a site intro etc
Old 12 July 2009, 11:43 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Fuunygames definitely works on it - just tried - but its a bit sticky and clunky. Its a meg per page too. D