Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Who else misses their dogs ?

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2009, 04:26 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who else misses their dogs ?

Daft question I guess, but whenever I take them to kennels I always have an empty feeling when I get back to the house

Not gonna see the lil woofers for almost 3 weeks now eeek!

Did make me smile watching the kennel owner trying to control them

******* Tuvaaq always seems to be so pleased just to go. He sees the gate and he is off, no hugs or kisses for me, just seeeeeeeeeeeya!
Old 26 June 2009, 04:29 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its you having to separate from the Wolf pack, it's stressful they raised you or something, Awooooooooo.
Old 26 June 2009, 04:58 PM
rob 666
Scooby Regular

had to plan our holiday around the mutt..........he came with us!,only went devon so was'nt really a problem,dont think i could do the kennel thing tho
Old 26 June 2009, 05:00 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Its you having to separate from the Wolf pack, it's stressful they raised you or something, Awooooooooo.
lol hang on, I think I can hear them calling....
Oh no, thats right, they are 50 miles away, just incase lol

Originally Posted by rob 666
had to plan our holiday around the mutt..........he came with us!,only went devon so was'nt really a problem,dont think i could do the kennel thing tho
Kennels are not so bad, its just the getting used to them not being around that gets me lol.
No being attacked, no fights, no feeding or walking them etc.
Old 26 June 2009, 05:04 PM
hannogo
Scooby Regular

Think they need a break from us mere humans,perhaps they see it as jollies too
Old 26 June 2009, 05:09 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

It's been six months since Scooby moved out, she wasn't even my dog but I still miss her

I'm on hols now and I'm missing my car!!
Old 26 June 2009, 05:09 PM
falkster
Scooby Regular

We've not been away since having our dog (last 2 years).....we take her everywhere with us and hate to leave her when we go to work....she's only on her own for a couple of hours a day.
Old 26 June 2009, 05:16 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I couldn't put them in a kennel !

Rather go camping and let them chase hares and foxes for a fortnight....

dunx

P.S. They come to work too ! Last night they came to the WYIOC EOM and I found that Dylan doesn't like anti-lag......

Last edited by dunx; 26 June 2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 26 June 2009, 05:16 PM
rob 666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
lol hang on, I think I can hear them calling....
Oh no, thats right, they are 50 miles away, just incase lol

Kennels are not so bad, its just the getting used to them not being around that gets me lol.
No being attacked, no fights, no feeding or walking them etc.
think it depends alot on the dog to be honest,mine is a bigger whinger than any of the kids,lol,dont think kennels would do mine any good at all,also he can be a bit of a sod around other dogs
Old 26 June 2009, 05:47 PM
necro
BANNED

Originally Posted by rob 666
I quite agree. A dog is a member of the family, not a convenience to shove in a metal cage while you swan about for three weeks pleasing yourself
Old 26 June 2009, 05:51 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol fair replies there

I like to think of them having a holiday too. Country air, walks in the fields and low paid people being dragged all over the place by my hounds
Old 26 June 2009, 05:53 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by necro
I quite agree. A dog is a member of the family, not a convenience to shove in a metal cage while you swan about for three weeks pleasing yourself

lol I think you misunderstand the use of the word kennels
A dog is an animal. One I love very much, but lets not get over emotional about an animal now
Old 26 June 2009, 05:53 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Spent ages looking for good kennels and found the best I know of - cheapish too.

Not left ours for a while but she loves it here:

Wetherham Heights Boarding Kennels

Set in a huge farm, tonnes of exercise, they remember her name and they are great. Some we checked out were literally dog prisons.

Let's not get silly about dogs now - if we have to leave ours, we will. Safe in the knowledge that she's very well looked after. Guilt trips about dogs are wrong. Dogs are dogs, not babies. The ones I know who spoil their dogs too much have ended up with total PITA hounds.

Last edited by Matteeboy; 26 June 2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 26 June 2009, 05:55 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Spent ages looking for good kennels and found the best I know of - cheapish too.

Not left ours for a while but she loves it here:

Wetherham Heights Boarding Kennels

Tonnes of exercise, they remember her name and they are great. Some we checked out were literally dog prisons.
Agreed mate, some are shocking places, and badly run.
They remember our doggies too. Mainly because everyone likes walking Tuvaaq so he gets lots of walks.

We took a while to decide on this place, but have never looked back
Have friends who live locally too who pop in (they have the same breed)

Its 50 odd miles away, but distance is no object when it comes to quality.
Old 26 June 2009, 05:56 PM
necro
BANNED

lol fair replies there

I like to think of them having a holiday too. Country air, walks in the fields and low paid people being dragged all over the place by my hounds
Well yes, you would

Old 26 June 2009, 06:57 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Well yes, you would

lol there is more than enough space in there! It can turn round without touching the sides... what more do they need!
Oh maybe some water
Old 26 June 2009, 07:03 PM
necro
BANNED

Perhaps a cat would have been more your 'thing'
Old 26 June 2009, 07:14 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

first time i put my dog in a kennel i searched high and low for what i thought would be the best available for her. found one highly recommended on a farm with promises of regular walks/stimulation etc. came home after 2 weeks to find her like a diffrent dog, she looked depressed, skinny and her colour had changed as well. tbh i thought she was not my dog. ever since that experience (it took her about a week to be the dog i left there) i would NEVER contemplate leaving my dog in ANY kennels WHATSOEVER. they just cant be trusted, they are a business after all!!!!!. i continue to have a couple of 2-3 week holidays each year and would recommend any owner of a pet to do what i do. kennels are about £20-£30 a day, get a friend that you trust to live in your house while you are gone and pay them what you would pay the kennels. the dogs have company throughout and exercise like you would expect, but your home is also secure. this works perfectly for us and our friend (who is unemployed currently) as he gets to live in our home, bill free, food in freezers and cupboards and a wedge of cash-tax free to spend on our return. try it and i promise you will never lock your dog in a cage alone again

Last edited by my06 ppp silver; 26 June 2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 26 June 2009, 07:20 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Perhaps a cat would have been more your 'thing'
Naaa, they cant carry my slippers in their mouth, or collect the paper from the shop. Whats the point in them!

my06, sounds like a nightmare mate.
When we get ours back they are always happy, healthy, and love going back. Well looked after etc. Usually have them washed and groomed before we collect too.

tbh I would hate the idea of a friend without experience with the breed to look after my dog, even for money. Feel much happier that they are in a place that I know looks after them, exercises them, and takes repsonsibility.

As for the price... 20-30 a day !! Are you kidding. We dont pay anywhere near that.

as for the "lock your dog in a cage" sounds like you went to a seriously bad place if thats how you feel the dog would perceive it.
The kennels have good sized runs, and my dogs share so they are not alone

PS, having someone living at my house while im away is not an option, so its a non starter.
Old 26 June 2009, 07:49 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

Naaa, they cant carry my slippers in their mouth, or collect the paper from the shop. Whats the point in them!

When we get ours back they are always happy, healthy, and love going back. Well looked after etc. Usually have them washed and groomed before we collect too.

tbh I would hate the idea of a friend without experience with the breed to look after my dog, even for money. Feel much happier that they are in a place that I know looks after them, exercises them, and takes repsonsibility.

As for the price... 20-30 a day !! Are you kidding. We dont pay anywhere near that.

as for the "lock your dog in a cage" sounds like you went to a seriously bad place if thats how you feel the dog would perceive it.

PS, having someone living at my house while im away is not an option, so its a non starter.
granted michael, i am a tad anti kennels cos of my bad experience and tbh it was 3 yrs ago so my estimation on the price of kennels may well be inflated but i am sure we paid £12 a day (we now have 2 dogs which i realise i never mentioned previously).but what i said does work great for us, and understandably would not suit everyone. anyway i am glad you have found yourself a good reputable place and hope you and your dog have many more happy days together,ps, mine are 2 irish blue staffs and i love them to bits, oh and dont watch marley and me if you think its a comedy like i did cried my fookin eyes out, felt a right tit
Old 26 June 2009, 07:57 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol I would prob cry at that too !

Naa no knocking you mate, like you say, different people/situations etc
Its hard finding anyone who would want a pair of dogs the size of mine around them. Unless you are confident they can be a handful. Even the missus struggles at times, and they have grown up with her.
Plus if it was a person looking after them I would insist they walk them like I do, and not too many people wanna walk 20km a day lol..

We pay £14 a day 5% off when its both of them.

Only questionable time when he has come back is when she was in season, and he lost weight, but it was expected.

Hope you have plenty of good times with your guys too.
Dogs eh! Make you laugh, make you mad....... make you cry lol
Old 26 June 2009, 10:08 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I don't have any PITA dogs, but just prefer that they get to wander round, e.g. Keilder Forest, WITH me than stay somewhere else. Not a matter of dis-ing you if you are happy with the care provided.

IMHO

dunx
Old 26 June 2009, 10:17 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

We pay £14 a day for a kennels set in tens of acres of farmland. The dogs get three good walks a day and ours end her stay happy to see us but very happy.

If you can't leave your dog without hassling family/friends to look after it then you shouldn't really have one. I cannot abide over obsessive dog owners - they give us all a bad name. As I said before, a dog is a dog NOT a child. Mollycoddled dogs are almost always a handful and badly behaved. The best trained and most well behaved (and happy) dogs such as working collies, gundogs and the like know their place and are both happy and fulfilled.
Old 26 June 2009, 10:29 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

We pay £14 a day for a kennels set in tens of acres of farmland. The dogs get three good walks a day and ours end her stay happy to see us but very happy.

If you can't leave your dog without hassling family/friends to look after it then you shouldn't really have one. I cannot abide over obsessive dog owners - they give us all a bad name. As I said before, a dog is a dog NOT a child. Mollycoddled dogs are almost always a handful and badly behaved. The best trained and most well behaved (and happy) dogs such as working collies, gundogs and the like know their place and are both happy and fulfilled.
By leaving my dog I mean for 18 days. Leaving them with a 72 year old who is ill is a little selfish I find.
Im not sure I get the actual point though...
If you can't leave your dog without hassling family/friends to look after it then you shouldn't really have one.
Do you mean without it being a chore for them, or do you mean without fussing after the people looking after it with "foo-foo likes her eggs lightly scrambled" lol.
Was not sure who the comment was directed at, hence it not making sense
Old 27 June 2009, 05:11 AM
necro
BANNED

Well what a surprise. The best behaved dog in the world stays at the best kennels in the world... tbh, I don't think your opinion is valid

As for:

Originally Posted by Walter Mitty
If you can't leave your dog without hassling family/friends to look after it then you shouldn't really have one.
Old 27 June 2009, 05:23 AM
necro
BANNED

As for this, as for that...

Face it, your dog is a 'thing' to satisfy your whims.

I'd wager that you posted this thread to ease your guilt

Do yourself, and the 'object' of your desire, a favour... holiday in the UK / European destination and enjoy 'its' company

Last edited by necro; 27 June 2009 at 05:25 AM.
Old 27 June 2009, 06:23 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

As for this, as for that...

Face it, your dog is a 'thing' to satisfy your whims.

I'd wager that you posted this thread to ease your guilt

Do yourself, and the 'object' of your desire, a favour... holiday in the UK / European destination and enjoy 'its' company
Aaah you got me, I am so full of guilt I cant even take a crap without bursting into tears...

OK I lie.
When I say I miss them, I mean I went for a pee in the middle of the night, as I was enroute to the bathroom, I stepped over where I expected the dogs to be.... Not "I cant function without them"

As for holiday in the UK, I will leave that to you
Me............. flight leaves in 5 hours

PS, its "objects" and "their"
Dont miss me too much, I know the dogs wont
Old 27 June 2009, 06:58 AM
necro
BANNED

Aaah you got me, I am so full of guilt I cant even take a crap without bursting into tears...
That doesn't surprise me at all

OK I lie.
When I say I miss them, I mean I went for a pee in the middle of the night, as I was enroute to the bathroom, I stepped over where I expected the dogs to be.... Not "I cant function without them"

As for holiday in the UK, I will leave that to you
Me............. flight leaves in 5 hours
Good riddance, although I expect you will be logging in on a regular basis to check your security blanket

PS, its "objects" and "their"
Dont miss me too much, I know the dogs wont
Objects? So you have multiple animals all tucked up in metal cages? Nice

Their?

Happy holidays
Old 27 June 2009, 07:51 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Do you actually have a dog or are you just trolling again?

Thought so.
Old 27 June 2009, 07:53 AM
necro
BANNED

I have a number of dogs, as it happens

Not as good as yours, naturally

Quick Reply: Who else misses their dogs ?