Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Back to stupid prices for super then

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2009, 02:09 PM
JPF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Back to stupid prices for super then

OMGG!! £1.07.9 for super at Tesco WTF! That's a big rise in a short time, I thought the cost of oil was going back down? even then its 2p more than diesel, isn't it usually the same or a bit less?. Oh well, time to start driving me girls boingy little punto I guess....actualy its quite a fun little car when you rag it
Old 18 June 2009, 02:26 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know why diesel and petrol are now the same price? This was asked a while back but can't find the thread. Done some googling but no joy.
Old 18 June 2009, 02:28 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Guy was on BBC brerakfast this morning trying to explain it

Apparently, it's because petrol is a seperate commodity to oil, so is independent of the price of crude, (must remember that when crude goes back up), plus it's traded in dollars and the £ has lost 20% against the $, plus government duty on fuel is high and has gone up again.

Boil THAT lot down and it's the oil companies profiteering again.

And since Lying Labour are in their pockets AND get more VAT the higher it goes, THEY aren't going to say a fekkin word
Old 18 June 2009, 02:29 PM
Julio Jordio
Scooby Regular

I'm getting so sick of petrol increasing for seemingly no reason at all.

When it was 150 $ per barrel we were paying £1.28

Its currently around 71$ per barrel, why is it so expensive??

I understand peetrol stations/companies buy fuel in advance and in bulk, and there is a delay in between prices catching up, but come on....
Old 18 June 2009, 02:39 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I filled up with V-power the other day: £1.17
Old 18 June 2009, 02:41 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Chill, guys, the petrol companies "laboured", (pun intended), for YEARS to get prices above £1 a litre and make us accept it. They aren't going to let it go low now, are they?

Just bend over and take it, we have NO CHOICE!

And take into account the government's fuel duty escalator, 2p per year, sometimes TWICE a year, they have added a minimum of a whacking 36 pence per litre to fuel in their 12 years so far, before you even START on the VAT

At present levels, without that, fuel would be 70p or so per litre for super

Last edited by tanyatriangles; 18 June 2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 18 June 2009, 02:59 PM
Julio Jordio
Scooby Regular

Thats what is so frustrating!

Its hard to take that we are simply being shafted!
Old 18 June 2009, 03:01 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Interesting point made by the commentator on BBC news this morning; The price of fuel going up helps combat deflation since it has a knock on effect to all goods that require transports costs - food for example. Which is apparently one of the reasons why the duty on fuel wouldn't be lowered... - yeah right!
Old 18 June 2009, 03:11 PM
Azz230988
Scooby Regular

Angry

I remember hearing that production of petrol has been slowed down which is why the prices have gone up as there is less of it where as the diesel production rate has stayed the same meaning that there would be no change in price for diesel.
It's a constant rip off for petrol anyway, they said they wouldn't increase duty on it a few months back when they were planning to increase it by 2p a litre then they dropped VAT but increased the duty anyway to meet the drop in VAT, hey presto your 2p increase!!
Old 18 June 2009, 03:40 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles
Guy was on BBC brerakfast this morning trying to explain it

Apparently, it's because petrol is a seperate commodity to oil, so is independent of the price of crude, (must remember that when crude goes back up), plus it's traded in dollars and the £ has lost 20% against the $, plus government duty on fuel is high and has gone up again.

Boil THAT lot down and it's the oil companies profiteering again.

And since Lying Labour are in their pockets AND get more VAT the higher it goes, THEY aren't going to say a fekkin word
I can't see the Eton boys doing any better if they get into power.

Crude/Diesel/Petrol prices are linked but not utterly fixed. Oil price has been rising due to production volumes being cut, worries about national stability (not ours) and speculation (again!).

J.
Old 18 June 2009, 03:51 PM
Juice
Scooby Regular

prices are a real joke in the Uk . i have a friend in the Uae where they sit on oil. full tank in a 6 litre v8 pick up truck is circa £23.
Old 18 June 2009, 04:17 PM
JPF
Scooby Regular

Yep guess its the way of things now forgot abt the 2p rise and the low pound.
As mentioned not even a change of government will do anything for fuel prices as they're all on the save the world wagon, so if u think the Tories will lower the duty on fuel think again.

I put some fuel in my girlfriends punto today, man I was amazed! only put £10 in and the tank went from empty to nearly full! guess it has a smaller tank but if I put the same amount in my scooby the fuel gage would just sit there looking at me wondering why I was expecting it to change lol

I'm having worrying thoughts that I may swap my scoob for a a aaa...I cant believe I'm going to say this...an economical car....shudder.... actually I may just about get away with the compromise of using normal 95 ron....can subarus be converted to use chip fat? or is that just to sacrilegious to think about.
Old 18 June 2009, 05:57 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

This low pound thing is a red herring.

Oil is quoted in dollars, not neccessarily bought in dollars.

Also the pound is higher against the dollar than of recent times so I think we are being lied to again on that front.

Anyway leaving that aside if petrol and diesel prices have equalised then for petrol to rise that extra 10 percent there is only one variable as VAT, exchange rates etc. are the same for both hence I think that variable can only be the oil companies and of course a spineless government that does nothing about them stiffing us time after time.
Old 18 June 2009, 07:08 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I filled up with Ultimate at the weekend. Paid £1.11.9 (where the hell does the .9 come from)
Old 18 June 2009, 07:39 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Normal unleaded is £1.08.9 a litre down here at the moment, i have'nt even been near a shell garage, so not sure about VPower. As for the price a lot of it is an artificial increase because a lot of the oil traders bought tanker loads a few months ago when prices were low, and then just hung onto it, mooring there tankers of the south coast just waiting for demand (hence prices) to go up before of loading it to the refineries, there was articles about it on the news at the time.
Old 18 June 2009, 07:49 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 84of300
I filled up with Ultimate at the weekend. Paid £1.11.9 (where the hell does the .9 come from)
I can never work that out, if i go in a buy 1 litre, should i demand my .1 of a penny change, how the **** can they say it's blah blah point nine pence, when there's not a point nine of a pence coin in circulation,(perhaps i should ask for a credit note) i think a lot of it is supposed to be a phsycological thing, as in something being only £99.99, ie, ooh it's not even a hundred pounds, thats a bargain i'll buy that. Also it's never ever point one of a pence or anything other then point nine, THIEVING BARSTEWARDS. And breathe, rant over.