Road repair laws?

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2002, 04:24 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

weird title I know.

As some may be aware (see here) I have had some bother due to council not clearing up after themselves.

I'm told that there are guidelines and rules laid down for the clearing of waste from a work site, especially on roads. Just wondering if anyone knows a website from where i can obtain this information?

What to try and get the exact laws/regulations down on paper to strengthen my claim for compensation, as I believe (rightly or wrongly) that the council was at fault.
Old 05 March 2002, 06:36 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Markus,
I'm sure there was a thread a few weeks ago relating to this. I went over a pothole that the council had left 200 yards from where I work roughly the same time of that thread, & put a flat spot on my rear rim ( 17 supperleggeras[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] ) & I was going to put a claim in.
Judging by the various replies the overall outcome appeared to be mixed, some had got money others received nothing after 6 months of chasing the council.

shunty
Old 06 March 2002, 12:08 AM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

If it was road repairs I doubt the council will be interested - they contract out to private companies. I believe some councils do have their own works unit but Im not entirely sure. Likwise, if it was a utilities company you would have to deal with that particular company I should imagine.

This is the trade my dad is in(mmmm, S. London too.... ) so I will see what he has to say about it (but hes not around at the moment, sorry...).

There are loads of health and safety issues, so Im sure this would come under one of those....

John
Old 06 March 2002, 01:03 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Wink

bloody council here left some concrete oblongs, neatly lined up between the road and the pavement, made a right mess of mi wheel and mi wishbone[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Bob
Old 06 March 2002, 09:14 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

John,
Pretty sure the work was contracred out, so maybe no joy, but still giving it a go. The waste was not properly signposted, and it was not a utilities company, was general road repairs. I have a book at home the has stuff about the streetworks act and health and safety type stuff, so I'm reading that to get clued up on the applicable laws and regs, but I'm sure they must have to clear away wast as soon as the job is complete, if not as an on going thing whilst the job is continuing.
Old 06 March 2002, 11:37 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Markus,

It will be contracted out if its road repairs.

I had an incident in Woking where they had taken the top off the road and had left a huge pothole over a crest in the road - I hit it and it knackered my tyre - had a huge bulge in it. Went back to photo the hole and it was not there, they'd already resurfaced it . Wrote to Woking council and complained and they said that all work done is contract and those contractors have to have liability insurance. The council sent my letter to the contractors and I got the cost of the new tyre refunded.
Its well worth making the effort to complain.

Cheers
Neil
Old 06 March 2002, 11:46 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Neil,
I'm certainly complaining, gotta be worth a shot, if I get joy, cool, if not, well I did try.
Old 06 March 2002, 12:30 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Fingers crossed
Old 06 March 2002, 12:58 PM
Luke
BANNED

Enfield council had to pay for a new rim.
They are allowed 14 days I think to reapair a reported problem. After that they are responsible. The idea of passing the buck to the subcontractors is crazy!!!! The council employed them.

They will always pay if you threaten court action.