Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Is there a dentist in the house?

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2009, 12:13 AM
Carl2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a dentist in the house?

I'm just wondering what determines when a tooth has to be extracted instead of being refilled.

I lost a small part of a filling and the filling is now slightly loose (allegedly) the dentist says the tooth has to be extracted. Why can't they remove the old filling and refill it? The tooth is exactly the same as it was when this filling was put in.

I'm just abit dubious having read in the paper last year that too many dentists were too keen to extract rather than do complicated repair work.
Old 06 June 2009, 08:27 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

I'm surprised, thought it would be the other way round as it costs more.
Unless it's NHS and they don't recoup as much for more complex work?
NHS fee for extraction might be close to what they'd charge privately but more complex hits them in the wallet maybe...?

Mine has done a lot of repair/restructure and uses extraction as a last resort but he's private and has been paid handsomely for it.
Old 06 June 2009, 09:31 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i think one will be back at 2.30
Old 06 June 2009, 10:44 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Teeth are generally extracted for pathology (disease) which cannot be controlled and if left in place would give potential for continued pain / swelling etc.

If fillings get too big then there might not be enough tooth left to Hold a new one in. However if there's something still in place then this might not be the case. It might need root canal treatment and a post / core / crown.

For consent to extraction the dentist has to say why the tooth needs to be removed, "because it needs to come out" is not a valid reason for consent purposes.

He also needs to talk about alternativess to extraction,again for consent and also for medico-legal purposes.

Just ask why the tooth needs to come out.

Root canal treatment loses an NHS dentist money by the way.

Shaun

Is it a front or a back tooth.
Old 06 June 2009, 11:19 AM
Jer
Scooby Regular

As Shaun said, ask them why they can't RCT it instead. Dentists have to use single use endo files now so they are not to keen on saving teeth anymore. The fee you get for RCT on the NHS does not really cover the costs of endo files and the surgery time.
Old 06 June 2009, 11:41 AM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

No work loses a Dentist money .... they just don't make as much as they would like on it, that's all.

I was told a couple of years ago I should have a bridge done on the NHS - last month I decided to have it done .... the Dentist now wants to give me a denture!! He will do a Bridge under a Private agreement, but not under the NHS!

The whole thing stinks to high heaven .... costs are thought of before clinical need, which is a disgrace! The same Dentist recommends a Bridge under one set of NHS charges and then a denture under another.

Profiteering plain and simple and should be outlawed.
Old 06 June 2009, 12:38 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
No work loses a Dentist money .... they just don't make as much as they would like on it, that's all.

I was told a couple of years ago I should have a bridge done on the NHS - last month I decided to have it done .... the Dentist now wants to give me a denture!! He will do a Bridge under a Private agreement, but not under the NHS!

The whole thing stinks to high heaven .... costs are thought of before clinical need, which is a disgrace! The same Dentist recommends a Bridge under one set of NHS charges and then a denture under another.
Hmmmmm, now who was it who promised an affordable dentist for all under the NHS? Billy Liar, that's who

Profiteering plain and simple and should be outlawed.
Under Nu Labia? You jest, of course?
Old 06 June 2009, 12:45 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Under the Tories there would be no NHS ....

Under Labour there is an affordable Dentist for everyone ....

Your point is what, exactly?
Old 06 June 2009, 12:50 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Errr.... How many dental practices do you own and when was the last time you bought a set of single use endo files?
Old 06 June 2009, 01:58 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

You never see a poor Dentist ... should be made to work in the NHS after training - for 5 years - after all, we (the public) pay for the training that allows them to earn vast amounts.
Old 06 June 2009, 02:14 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This statement is incorrect.
When you don't know what you are talking about, it would be better if you were to preface your comments in such a way as to indicate your ignorance.
You may wish to try "IMO" for example.
Old 06 June 2009, 02:36 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Just to provide another side of the tooth filling situation I had allot of work done on 2 of my front teeth including root canal work and so one & had 2 crowns put on all under the NHS the dentist only charged me the money that the NHS fees were at the time and to date I have had no problems with them.
I am assuming they may have saved them rather than remove because they were front ones nut I am only guessing at that.

Eitherway you should talk to the dentist and see why he thinks it needs removing after all anyone can only guess without seeing it ;-)
Old 06 June 2009, 02:36 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

You never see a poor Dentist ... should be made to work in the NHS after training - for 5 years - after all, we (the public) pay for the training that allows them to earn vast amounts.
Most do. Dentists don't just jump into a private job as soon as they leave dental school. They have to do two years VT now, most won't get a private job after that (in Scotland anyway).
You've have not answered my original question..
Old 06 June 2009, 02:55 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Under the Tories there would be no NHS ....

Under Labour there is an affordable Dentist for everyone ....

Your point is what, exactly?
Please can you justify that first statement. I am very interested to know where and when they said that.

The second statement is untrue. It is impossible to get on a local NHS dentist here, its dead man's shoes, and the nearest one is many miles away-if you can find one!

Les
Old 06 June 2009, 03:18 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Hang about, we've been here before: exactly HOW do we, the public, pay for their training, when they have to take out huge student loans for tuition and upkeep?

I have a lad at uni right now, so I know that for a FACT Pete.
Old 06 June 2009, 03:49 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Facts and Dogma, do not good bedfellows make.
Old 06 June 2009, 04:22 PM
Carl2
Scooby Regular

Looking at my tooth, rear lower 2nd from back molar, most of the rear half of the tooth is missing down to about gum level (I assume) but that's the same state it was in when it was filled about 2 yars ago.
Old 06 June 2009, 04:31 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Ok.... it's 2nd from the back but is it the first molar behind the smaller premolars ??

Shaun
Old 06 June 2009, 04:38 PM
Carl2
Scooby Regular

I had some teeth removed as a kid to make room for my adult teeth, (allegedly I have a small mouth) so I'm not sure which are missing, but I have 2 large molars at the back and it's the one closest to the front of my mouth of the two of them. The next one too it is about half the length.
Old 06 June 2009, 05:04 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

I guess then it's the fifth one from the front middle one......... I'll be back later as it's the kid's tea time LOL

Shaun
Old 07 June 2009, 06:30 PM
Carl2
Scooby Regular

I have 14 teeth on the bottom, so if I split them evenly it's no6 (counting front middle as 1) or 5 if I count front middle as 0.
Old 08 June 2009, 08:49 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Deviating slightly, i have just got an NHS dentist after a few years without. My previous one retired. One thing i have noticed is how quickly they do check ups. My old NHS one would have a good look around, do a bit of cleaning, a few scrapes, then talk to me a bit. Now its 5 minutes and out. Quite a few of my friends at work have noticed the same thing.
Are NHS dentists on a mission to clear waiting lists by making appointments shorter. I'm debating going private as i dont have 100 confidence in my two new dentists.

(i have two because when on the waiting list i got the choice of two, so went to them both. I'm still debating who to stay with, neither are as good as my old one)
Old 08 June 2009, 10:31 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

The check-up really isn't what it once was ..... no clean, no chat, no talking out loud the teeth number and state ...... I think that they now make more money by not doing any work!!

It's dictated by money .......
Old 08 June 2009, 11:19 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

carl2

sorry about the delay in the reply....I'll get typing lunchtime tomorrow

I'm full of "nasonex" from the Doc lol

Shaun

FAO PS Lewis.......from a clinical and a political standpoint you have lost this one, give up now
Old 08 June 2009, 11:25 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

I'm on Nasonex too .... use it each morning and evening.
Old 08 June 2009, 11:35 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

How to Use NASONEX Allergy Nasal Spray

usually a once a day treatemt........you must be special LOL

Shaun
Old 08 June 2009, 11:46 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

OH, I think you know I am special
Old 09 June 2009, 05:49 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

OH, I think you know I am special
Needs?
Old 09 June 2009, 05:58 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
Deviating slightly, i have just got an NHS dentist after a few years without. My previous one retired. One thing i have noticed is how quickly they do check ups. My old NHS one would have a good look around, do a bit of cleaning, a few scrapes, then talk to me a bit. Now its 5 minutes and out. Quite a few of my friends at work have noticed the same thing.
Are NHS dentists on a mission to clear waiting lists by making appointments shorter. I'm debating going private as i dont have 100 confidence in my two new dentists.

(i have two because when on the waiting list i got the choice of two, so went to them both. I'm still debating who to stay with, neither are as good as my old one)
The clue here is in your second sentence.
People who are about to retire do tend to things differently.
TBH your new dentist is probably spending the time he would have spent chatting doing other things.
eg. filling in paperwork and generally performing pointless "box ticking" exercises as demanded by governance policy and the desire not to get sued.

Last edited by cster; 09 June 2009 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09 June 2009, 09:52 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

The check-up really isn't what it once was ..... no clean, no chat, no talking out loud the teeth number and state ...... I think that they now make more money by not doing any work!!

It's dictated by money .......
Is going private any better.