Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Road tyres on a mountain bike ?

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2009, 10:21 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road tyres on a mountain bike ?

I am doing the London to Brighton bike in two weeks and I want to change my off road tyres to road tyres anyone got any ideas of what type or brand , can I use slicks
Old 05 June 2009, 10:32 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

I have these on my MTB for the same reason. No problems what so ever.
Decathlon - cycling tyre VITTORIA - Randonneur 26 x 1.50 VITTORIA - city riding and cycling on paths in all weather conditions. Reflective sidewalls for extra safety.
Old 05 June 2009, 10:33 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

Continental City Ride | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
Old 05 June 2009, 10:44 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I used Maxxis High Roller Semi Slick for my road rides on my MB. Nice rolling surface but can still handle a bit of grit and dirt.
They clear small amounts of sludge well and grip to the road pretty well.
Old 05 June 2009, 10:56 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

These discussions make me laugh becuase for some reason everybody always thinks their tyre is the best one.

Personally I know that specialized nimbus armadillos are the best, and I will continue to laugh at everyone else's feeble attempts hahahahhahaha

Old 05 June 2009, 11:22 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

hire a road bike lol
Old 05 June 2009, 11:24 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I use these:

Schwalbe UK

And, as they say, I may not know about tyres, but I do know what I like
Old 05 June 2009, 11:29 PM
skid11
Scooby Regular

Get a road bike mate loads easier.Designed for the job
Old 06 June 2009, 12:03 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I have these

Continental Sport Contact | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

The difference, as with any slick I'm sure, is incredible! You can feel every pedal stroke ripping into the tarmac! I got sick of switching between those and the nobblys though...so I bought a new bike!
Old 06 June 2009, 09:07 AM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skid11
Get a road bike mate loads easier.Designed for the job
Where I live is mainly off road so its not really the right thing to do (get a road bike) probably cheaper and easer to change the tyres now and again
Old 06 June 2009, 09:09 AM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the suggestions I will now look at all the options and make a decision !
Cheers Gonzo!
Old 08 June 2009, 04:44 PM
wrx-ian
Scooby Regular

Whilst we are on the subject of bikes.
Anyone use clipless shoes and pedals??? What ae the like to use?? How easy is it to get you foot in and out???

As for a bikes anyone use a cyclo-cross bike??? Thinking about getting on as it should be good on road and could handle a bit of rough stuff.
Old 08 June 2009, 05:03 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Ian - clipless pedals (SPDs) are a bit like Marmite.
I'm not a fan but they do have power benefits - but aren't good when it gets really technical.
They take some getting used to (Mrs Matt has just started using them on her MTB) and you need the right shoes but they are useful in the ride isn't too "gnarley" - I found (used them for 2 years then gave up) that they turn a minor off into a major crash!
You unclip by twisting your foot outwards. It's pretty easy and the pedals help with rear end (of the bike) control too.

Cyclo cross bikes are getting really popular - Specialized Tricross is getting rave reviews all over the place. I was very tempted to get one but reckon my MTB does all I need it to for now.

I'd use SPDs on a road or cyclo cross bike without question.

As for tyres - there is no definite answer EVER. But Continental make good slicks as do Schwalbe.
Old 08 June 2009, 05:18 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I use shimano SPD's with DX shoes, Love em. I use for the downhill, free ride and normal town rides.
Most modern ones (crank bros, shimano etc) have a fail safe, When you go down any movement of your heel will disconnect you from the bike.

After I used spd's for a couple of weeks I didnt even think about it anymore, Its just something you do when your riding. I feel safer, I have more bike control, I have cleaner shins, I can hop the bike around plus its made me a better rider as I have to commit to things, No "if it looks bad I will kick the bike away".

I couldnt ride with flats anymore, It feels like its me v's the bike with flats. When im clipped in it feels like (excuse the hippy talk) I am one piece with the bike.

I have my Alpine trail for sale in the general section at the minute just thought I would say.
Old 08 June 2009, 05:23 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Tim - well I do mostly XC riding and favour flats - but the lightest flats you can buy.
Having raced and done well, I can't say flats are any worse than SPDs and I think they can encourage bad discipline - bunny hopping with SPDs for example is usually done "wrongly" but a good bunny hop with flats has to be done right and with proper form and control.

But each to their own - many do prefer SPDs. I might try Mrs Matt's (Shimano 540s) at some stage - I ride SPD shoes (Spesh Tahos) but without cleats at the moment.
Old 08 June 2009, 05:29 PM
ChrisB

I've got SPDs on all my bikes (road and MTB). I don't like the feeling of not being clipped in on technical stuff. As Tim says, I feel happier feeling the bike is coming with me.

You can even unclip mid-air as you go over the bars when you **** things up big-time - ask SJ_Skyline as he had a grandstand view of me doing just that in the Brecon Beacons last weekend
Old 08 June 2009, 05:39 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Chris - I once didn't manage to unclip in mid air (a while back - SPDs have got better now) - I landed upside down in a nettle filled ditch and could NOT get out - I was hanging from my bike (above me) wriggling around trying to get free but all I did was just get more and more stung. That was one of many crashes that put me off them for life!

I prefer stuff to be thrown clear - I've had my surfboard slice me up/bust my nose/ribs, I've had wakeboards almost break my legs, snowboards twist my hips, etc yet stuff that can be thrown clear (skis, waterskis, non SPD bikes) never seems to hurt me!

Each to their own though - there is no right or wrong.
Old 08 June 2009, 10:52 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're using a mtb to do road, even if you put road tyres on, you may find your bike undergeared - ie lots of pedaling and little forward motion!

As for spds - loads of embarrasing moments but find them better for pushing on...
Old 08 June 2009, 11:10 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Slighlty off topic.

But can you recommend me some shoes, clips, and an indoor trainer?

I only use toe strap things which have been fine, but I fancy stepping things up a little and getting a proper racing bike. Probably a Giant Defy 4. Currently riding a Giant FCR.
Old 09 June 2009, 07:39 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

I did have a comedy moment when wearing spds'.

Had them for about a day. . .

A woman pulls out turning right without looking / seeing me. I scream to a halt. . . . slowly & gracefully topple over to the left.

You can get some spd pedals which work with & without spd shoes - so rather than being a little stump, they are more like a traditional pedal with the SPD centre.
Old 09 June 2009, 09:04 AM
Scoobydiid
Scooby Regular

I've had SPD's for about 5 years now and hate riding without, gives you more control, I have only had one off, in the pub car park, came out, swung right leg over bike, clipped in and straight over. I have had quite a few off's where I have gone over the bars, or flipped off sideways and managed to land on my feet and run it out.
It's a bit like when you drive with a 4 point harness, you become part of the bike an can feel what is going on beneath you.