Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

So you think you have problems with UK phone/internet providers?

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2009, 09:02 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So you think you have problems with UK phone/internet providers?

If you do, you should try France Telecom/Orange

There is a scheme, in France, mainly for foreigners, that allows you to declare your property as a second home, (if it is), and NOT pay the standing charges while not in residence. This is NOT widely advertised, (surprise!), and I only found out about it by accident.

Anyway, I duly apply. The guy I speak to tells me to send them a copy of an electricity/gas/water bill for the house here in the UK, plus a copy of my insurance for my house in France, which I do.

Later that week I ring them again to ask for internet to be set up at my property over there, and, while talking to the new guy, tell him what I've done.

His response is that I've been misinformed, and that they ACTUALLY want copies of the insurance on THIS house, plus a copy of my council tax for this house

So I send those two.

In the meantime, out we go to the house, and the internet isn't working, ring them, why not?

Well, apparently, when I was told it takes 10 days, that meant 10 WORKING days, so I get internet acess forr ONE day before I'm due to come home.

Before I come home, I ring and ask for my line to be switched off, and am told OK, no probs.

However, when I GET home, there is a letter waiting for me from the top woman in my area, telling me I CAN'T declare the house a second home unless I send here some FRENCH certificates I don't have, since my primary residence is in the UK

I write back, explaining, then yesterday, receive ANOTHER letter from her responding to MY second letter, but EXACTLY the same as her first response.

AND it's taking her 6 weeks to respond!!!!!!!!

So, this morning I ring them, only to be told that they have my letters, and even the first one should have been enough to have the line suspended when I want, so shall he do it today? Meanwhile, I've paid ANOTHER month's standing charge

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I'll never complain about British companies' customer care again.............well, maybe not
Old 05 June 2009, 09:16 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

My mum and dad have a house in France, where can they get info on this?

And is it worth the faff?
Old 05 June 2009, 09:28 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
My mum and dad have a house in France, where can they get info on this?
Tell them to ring 0800 36 47 75 from France, or 00 33 800 36 47 75 from the UK, English speaking line, and ask them for details. They will ask your name, your French number and address, and will explain what to do, including the address of where to send the stuff.

It's actually the number of a brand new English-speaking internet/phone technical helpline too

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
And is it worth the faff?
Depends on your outlook: every month you AREN'T there saves you €16 plus whatever the monthly abonnement is on your internet.

And with Gordon's puny pound, every € you can save is worth it IMHO
Old 05 June 2009, 08:36 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Might be of interest to them, they don't have any broadband at the moment over there and I know my mum was asking about deals over there with a stick thingy... (I'm so technical!)

Thanks for the info
Old 05 June 2009, 09:03 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

My braodband over there is ADSL via the phone line, there is a splitter plugged into the phone socket, and an ADSL line goes to a Livebox, which is connected to our desktop by ethernet, and my wife's laptop wirelessly. The ordinary phone works even when I'm online.

Orange were also flogging dongles to allow me to use the computer wirelessly, but I don't have one.

My Livebox also allows me FREE phone calls to mainland France numbers, all day, every day, and international calls INCLUDING to mobiles, at €0.11 per minute all day, every day.

Most areas can also have TV off the same line, hundreds of channels, but we can't, we are too far out in the sticks. They can tell you what you can have, and how much, with one phone call.
Old 05 June 2009, 09:14 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

My parents won't want telly. They go there to get away from it all!
Old 05 June 2009, 10:07 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Aye, so do we, but when it's rainy, the three channels I can get through may aeriel are PRETTY poor
Old 05 June 2009, 10:15 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I gave up on getting ADSL in Spain.

Oh it exists ok. But getting telefonica to admit that we're too far from the exchange to get a connection is another matter; nope the nice lady in the call centre is adament that its our computer thats faulty (USB modem), nowt wrong with the line. Of course it was only until I collered a telephone engineer working on the estate and asked, he laughed saying ADSL? Here? Not a chance!

Thank goodness Vodafone's 3G coverage is second to none (and pay as you go )
Old 06 June 2009, 01:19 PM
miff13
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I gave up on getting ADSL in Spain.

Oh it exists ok. But getting telefonica to admit that we're too far from the exchange to get a connection is another matter; nope the nice lady in the call centre is adament that its our computer thats faulty (USB modem), nowt wrong with the line. Of course it was only until I collered a telephone engineer working on the estate and asked, he laughed saying ADSL? Here? Not a chance!

Thank goodness Vodafone's 3G coverage is second to none (and pay as you go )
Telefonica's customer care is legendary, my father lives in Spain and knows someone who complained about being overcharged 3 euros a month, telephonica cut his line off because he had the audacity to complain about being conned.

He also heard a story on the local radio about a non spanish resident who called the customer care line and was told to "**** off and learn some Spanish"
Old 06 June 2009, 03:21 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by miff13
Telefonica's customer care is legendary, my father lives in Spain and knows someone who complained about being overcharged 3 euros a month, telephonica cut his line off because he had the audacity to complain about being conned.

He also heard a story on the local radio about a non spanish resident who called the customer care line and was told to "**** off and learn some Spanish"
LOL at those two..............even worse than under the Generalissimo