Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

PLEASE BE SENSIBLE

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2009, 10:23 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PLEASE BE SENSIBLE

Recently lost a very good, well better than that. Friend of mine, Billy to skin cancer, only 42, with a wife a two young daughters. He was a bricklayer and as soon as the sun was out off would come his top, same as us all i suppose. Spoke to a mate on sunday who i used to play football with for a yugoslavian team, before the war broke out. He told me one of our friends Solly, (what a footballer he was) is dying of the same cancer as Billy. He will be leaving behind 3 kids and a wife. Same thing really playing footy practice, suns out and everyone wants to be skins, lol. Especially Solly the women used to flock to training to watch him. After all of this going on, like a **** i was fixing my next door neighbours garage door (mary). She's 90 and her family only see her on events, xmas etc... I was fixing her door as someone broke in and nicked pointless stuff out of her garage, she has no insurance, so i sorted her doors out for her. But being a hot day off came the top and now i'm lobstered, what a pratt, you know what, thats how easy it is. So FFS just be careful, it does and will kill. Has no discrepency and no morals.
Old 02 June 2009, 10:29 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The majority lives
Old 02 June 2009, 10:32 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I am so guilty of this, I surf all year round and as soon as a bit of sun comes out I am shirtless and in board shorts.
In this country we are terrible at paying attention to the dangers of the sun. I always make sure the Mrs has factor 50 on but I neglect to do myself.
I will make it a point to use sun cream this summer and from now on.
Old 02 June 2009, 11:02 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Its been a relief to work in my basement this last couple days - i sort of get a headache with the sun ,so that focuses attention - Belgium last weekend was hot hot tho, and forgot the suncream - fixed the next day
Old 03 June 2009, 03:25 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Slip Slap Slop

As they say over here

Slip on a shirt, Slop on sunscreen, and Slap on a hat.
Old 03 June 2009, 07:10 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

keep telling louise this, she never listens. id rather be lilly white and alive than orange and have skin cancer.

nice one for looking after your neighbour
Old 03 June 2009, 01:43 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
keep telling louise this, she never listens. id rather be lilly white and alive than orange and have skin cancer.

nice one for looking after your neighbour
Thats good thinking. Melanomas from sunburn can be very dangerous since they can spread very easily to other parts of the body and are pretty virulent too. They say that even high value sun block is not completely safe either.

In these times the UV rays are much stronger than they used to be and the chance of a melanoma is pretty high campared with earlier times.

The point is of course, its just not worth the risk!

Les
Old 03 June 2009, 01:48 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Mrs' father was recently (last couple months) diagnosed with skin cancer. Stemed from a mole that turned black, then split into 2 over the course of 6 years. The silly **** kept putting off going to the docs about it He'shad the operation where they drill a thin but deep section out and strecth the skin over to cover the wound. Hopefully he'll make a full recovery, but will be on check ups for many many years to come.

Me, after last year when I got sunstroke, always have at least factor 25 on, especially when washing the car or doing outdoorsy type things. That or I'm in the shade, it's not worth being called a wimp or whatever for the risks you put yourself under.
Old 03 June 2009, 05:47 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

I find it difficult being a roofer and covering up when the suns out......But dont really suffer from sunburn as such ...after many years of working in the sun.I never used to wear any suncream but always do now........I have tried telling my workforce over and over again about the dangers and most refuse to wear any sun protection claiming they dont need it.......

A bit like when i was there age....
Old 03 June 2009, 08:31 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Pfft. sun cream is for Gayers
Old 03 June 2009, 09:30 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

My mum had skin cancer about 8 years ago and for a few months we didnt know if she was going to live or not.
Luckily the mole was removed in time and she has made a full recovery.

I can tell you its not a nice feeling not knowing whether your mum will be alive in a couple of months time or not.

I work outside and I always make sure to have plenty of cream on as I have learnt a lesson through what my mum went through.
Old 03 June 2009, 09:30 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Mrs' father was recently (last couple months) diagnosed with skin cancer. Stemed from a mole that turned black, then split into 2 over the course of 6 years. The silly **** kept putting off going to the docs about it He'shad the operation where they drill a thin but deep section out and strecth the skin over to cover the wound. Hopefully he'll make a full recovery, but will be on check ups for many many years to come.

Me, after last year when I got sunstroke, always have at least factor 25 on, especially when washing the car or doing outdoorsy type things. That or I'm in the shade, it's not worth being called a wimp or whatever for the risks you put yourself under.
I hope he is ok in the future COB, Billy was good for 18 months and then became ill again. He was dead 4 months later, shocking really shocking. I hope your FIL makes a full recovery, just make sure he/you check him weekly. Really knocked me about this has, and i'd hate anyone else to have it.
Old 03 June 2009, 09:38 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Im completley uncertain how a mole can turn into a melonoma
Old 04 June 2009, 11:58 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Im completley uncertain how a mole can turn into a melonoma
Incipent melanomas often look like moles!

Les