Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Our unelected PM.......

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2009, 04:10 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Our unelected PM.......

Over and over on SN, we here about how poor it is we have an unelected PM, and how much better it will be when we get rid of him etc etc. SN is mainly Conservative, but no one ever mentions the fact that the last Conservative PM was also unelected.

Why does Gordon Brown garner such attacks for being exactly what his Conservative forbear was

Carrying on from that, you didn't elect David Cameron as party leader either (admittedly, you could turn away from voting Conserative if you didn't like the leader, but their leader is irrelevant now anyway).

Geezer
Old 02 June 2009, 04:13 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

That's why we should have a system like the American's. Vote for the leader, not the party.
Old 02 June 2009, 04:35 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you have a fair point: Major took over from Thatcher in November 1990, the subsequent general election was in April 1992 - 17 months after he took over. Whilst he was as charismatic as a piece of cucumber he did actually manage to win the 1992 general election.

Brown on the other hand took over from Blair in June 2007 and is still there by his fingernails, 24 months on and looks like nothing short of a few megatons will shift him until he absolutely has to go. Can they actually win a general election with him in charge?
Old 02 June 2009, 04:35 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

It's not just Brown though is it? They're all a bunch of crooks!

I don't know who I'll vote for, it won't be any of the big three though.
Old 02 June 2009, 04:41 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB.T
I don't know who I'll vote for, it won't be any of the big three though.
I know how you feel, but if quite a few do that it will lead to absolute chaos.

Steve
Old 02 June 2009, 04:46 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
Over and over on SN, we here about how poor it is we have an unelected PM, and how much better it will be when we get rid of him etc etc. SN is mainly Conservative, but no one ever mentions the fact that the last Conservative PM was also unelected.

Geezer
Just because one does it, the other can? Does that make it right?

I remember Major garnering the SAME criticism..........
Old 03 June 2009, 11:28 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles
Just because one does it, the other can? Does that make it right?

I remember Major garnering the SAME criticism..........
Indeed it doesn't, but it does show up double standards. I don't recall quite the same amount of criticism that he got.

Geezer
Old 03 June 2009, 11:29 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by stuart n
Yep, and then he went to on to win the '92 general election and therefore became our elected PM.
Don't forget that the Conservatives were hugely unpopular in '92, and Labour were expected to win easily, as the reverse is now, and look what happened. You never know, we could end up with Labour again

Geezer
Old 03 June 2009, 11:41 AM
stuart n
Scooby Regular

All Labour are doing now is trying to limit the damage. If they can restrict the Conservative majority at the next election they know there are some hugely unpopular decisions to make during the next term, i.e. tax rises and spending cuts.
Labour hope that this will sway the public against the tories and return them to power after just 1 term.
That's why we need a general election now, let the public decide who they want to run the country and let them get on with it.
Old 03 June 2009, 11:46 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

While I agree about Major he was at least eventually elected. There is no way Gordon Brown will be.
Old 03 June 2009, 12:43 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Why does Gordon Brown garner such attacks for being exactly what his Conservative forbear was

Carrying on from that, you didn't elect David Cameron as party leader either (admittedly, you could turn away from voting Conserative if you didn't like the leader, but their leader is irrelevant now anyway).

Geezer
I think you are forgetting that he was almost about to call an election, especially when it looked good for his chances at the time, but he chickened out with a specious excuse and that caused him to lose face pretty seriously before he continued to screw up as he has done.

Les
Old 03 June 2009, 12:55 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

whos evers at the top will be attacked, no mater who it is.

all polititions yell how bad the other side is but never come up with real solutions to problem. As well as a bunch of con men (and women for the pc lot) that is lol

i can't see any of the current crop of crooks doing any better even if flash is crap, at least flash has experiance of running the economic side of the situation which should be the biggest concern at the min.

all cameron does is bark, labour's crap, labour's crp, labour's crap at the top of his voice.
Old 03 June 2009, 12:58 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Leslie
I think you are forgetting that he was almost about to call an election, especially when it looked good for his chances at the time, but he chickened out with a specious excuse and that caused him to lose face pretty seriously before he continued to screw up as he has done.

Les
Oh absolutely Les. Dont think I am defending Brown at all, I just thought it interesting how people's opinions on the same situation can differ.

Geezer
Old 03 June 2009, 01:16 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

2 of the differences ..

1) when Major replaced Thatcher it was sudden and relatively unexpected. No explicit promises had been made that Thatcher would lead until the next election. We went into the last election with Labour making it clear that Blair would lead for that term with the inevitable handover to Brown towards the end.

2) There was a meaningful leadership contest within the conservative party that at least allowed a debate on the direction and the succession. Ok - extremely limited as it was only MPs that had a say but there was a contest. The lack of any contest or debate around Brown is still hurting him today.

I would be absolutely in favour of a rule that any replacement of PM by his party should force a General Election within say 12 months. Immediate would potentially destabilise the country - but the electorate should be given the guarantee they will be allowed their say.
Old 03 June 2009, 01:25 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Geezer is quite correct ....... we do not elect a leader in this country, we elect a party - and we elected Labour.

We have what we elected, end of.

Looks very much like our economy will be the first to emerge from the turmoil .... not something which would have happened under the Tories (who, you may remember, suggested that we do absolutely nothing!).

People are feeling rather well off at the moment, and outside of the Tory loving SN, people are intelligent enough to see who runs the economy best - that's Labour!

I'm not going to vote Labour again .... and the Tories have not a chance in hell of attracting my vote. But, out of the two - Labour are the better choice.
Old 03 June 2009, 01:29 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
Looks very much like our economy will be the first to emerge from the turmoil .... not something which would have happened under the Tories (who, you may remember, suggested that we do absolutely nothing!).

The Aussie economy grew by 0.9% in Q1 so bollox to that Pete!
Old 03 June 2009, 01:44 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
The Aussie economy grew by 0.9% in Q1 so bollox to that Pete!
Pete in drivel posting shocker...

Surely not
Old 03 June 2009, 02:44 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Oh absolutely Les. Dont think I am defending Brown at all, I just thought it interesting how people's opinions on the same situation can differ.

Geezer
All understood Geezer.

Les
Old 03 June 2009, 02:49 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Geezer is quite correct ....... we do not elect a leader in this country, we elect a party - and we elected Labour.

We have what we elected, end of.

People are feeling rather well off at the moment, and outside of the Tory loving SN, people are intelligent enough to see who runs the economy best - that's Labour!

I'm not going to vote Labour again .... and the Tories have not a chance in hell of attracting my vote. But, out of the two - Labour are the better choice.
Do you think that Billy's undoubted skills at manipulation of the electorate had nothing to do with the election of his party in the first place? He even had you fooled Pete, he was your hero on a pedestal, and look what he did for the country!

Of course the party leader is one of the big factors in an election.

Les
Old 03 June 2009, 02:54 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by dsmith
2 of the differences ..

1) when Major replaced Thatcher it was sudden and relatively unexpected. No explicit promises had been made that Thatcher would lead until the next election. We went into the last election with Labour making it clear that Blair would lead for that term with the inevitable handover to Brown towards the end.
I'm not really sure what you're saying here. Are you saying that because we knew Brown would PM it's ok, and he effectively has our mandate?

2) There was a meaningful leadership contest within the conservative party that at least allowed a debate on the direction and the succession. Ok - extremely limited as it was only MPs that had a say but there was a contest. The lack of any contest or debate around Brown is still hurting him today.
But we didn't have any say in it, any more than we had a say in Brown succeeding Blair.

I would be absolutely in favour of a rule that any replacement of PM by his party should force a General Election within say 12 months. Immediate would potentially destabilise the country - but the electorate should be given the guarantee they will be allowed their say.
Agreed

Geezer
Old 03 June 2009, 07:38 PM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

Indeed it doesn't, but it does show up double standards. I don't recall quite the same amount of criticism that he got.

Geezer
Errr, Scoobynet wasn't around in 1992?

Personally I think I am centre left, rather than Conservative and still think that on principle we should not have an unelected PM. Cameron is not elected, but he would be if there was a General Election and he became PM.

In terms of politics though, I have no clue what Brown's politics are, I just think he is a buffoon.

Even worse - one of his key Cabinet appointments isn't even an MP!
Old 03 June 2009, 09:02 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spooky Mulder
Cameron is not elected, but he would be if there was a General Election and he became PM.
WRONG!!

Only those voting in his constituency would vote Cameron into Government ..... the rest of SN would be voting for the Tory Party - and whoever they choose as their Leader.
Old 03 June 2009, 09:19 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Some key facts:

John major: Came in to power in November 1990 During the Gulf war
Brown : Came in to power in June 2007, there was no war (apart from a total mess in the middle East).

Major: called an election in April 1992; After 15 months in power
Brown: Not yet called an election; Has been in power for nearly 24months

Major: Won the general election with 14,093,007 votes in 1992
Tony Blair won with 13,518,167 votes in 1997 ( "landslide" yeah right as a percentage, yes. But Major still had more votes in 1992 )

Repeat general election reults for Blair are: 10,724,953 in 2001 and 9,562,122 in 2005 ALL less than the number of votes Major had in 1992 .

Brown: Most likely not to win any election

I'm sure there is some more little factoids I can dig up (And FYI, I'm a right wing Marxist )

Last edited by ALi-B; 03 June 2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03 June 2009, 09:28 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Some key facts:

John major: Came in to power in November 1990 During the Gulf war
Brown : Came in to power in June 2007, there was no war (apart from a total mess in the middle East).
Except for Afganistan and still fighting in Iraq, you mean?
Old 03 June 2009, 10:09 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Ali-B, I think you're being more than a little unfair over your quoting of John Major's votes as you completely fail to mention he ran for elction alongside Neil Kinnock... even I voted for him beucase of that.... well maybe not, but I certainly didn't vote for Kinnock.
Old 03 June 2009, 10:11 PM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

WRONG!!

Only those voting in his constituency would vote Cameron into Government ..... the rest of SN would be voting for the Tory Party - and whoever they choose as their Leader.
Oh dear - you are being pedantic!

Tell me a voter who will not be aware that a vote for the Conservatives is vote for Cameron as PM.
Old 03 June 2009, 10:25 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spooky Mulder
Oh dear - you are being pedantic!

Tell me a voter who will not be aware that a vote for the Conservatives is vote for Cameron as PM.
The reality is this ........ you will get whatever Leader they have at any point of time in Government.

Let's assume that Cameron (god forbid) dies the day after the election - would you claim that another election needs to take place as we have now not the PM we thought we were going to get?

No, thought not ..... and it's the very same with Brown.
Old 03 June 2009, 10:45 PM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

I agree - I am not denying what actually happens however I do think that it would be appropriate for any mid-term new PM should go to the polls to get the mandate.
Old 04 June 2009, 11:46 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

That has indeed been done before.

Les

Quick Reply: Our unelected PM.......