Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rather insulting but hey
Old 28 May 2009, 06:27 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you not remember GB going on strike for the years of 39-45, not our war was it that Churchill said:

You forgot the 'cheese eating' out of that sentence
Old 28 May 2009, 09:56 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

And snail munching !

I believe Bob Geldof summed it up in the visitors book of a hotel in France,

Q. Why are the streets of Paris lined with trees ?
A. So that the German army can march in the shade !
Old 28 May 2009, 09:59 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Come on guys n girls, it was the Americans that won the war anyway
Old 28 May 2009, 10:03 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marx Mcrae
What war was that?
Old 28 May 2009, 10:06 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Marx Mcrae
No they didn't. The Russians did!
And it was the RAF and Royal Navy that saved our bacon. If it was left to the (not Royal!) Army, we'd be speaking German.

Last edited by nixxon; 28 May 2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 28 May 2009, 10:23 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

love this little exchange between the America and France over the withdrawal of France from NATO, just shows the French arrogance

After President of France Charles de Gaulle withdrew France from the common NATO military command in February 1966 and ordered all American military forces to leave France, President Johnson asked Rusk to seek further clarification from President de Gaulle by asking whether the bodies of buried American soldiers must leave France as well. Rusk recorded in his autobiography that de Gaulle did not respond when asked, "Does your order include the bodies of American soldiers in France's cemeteries?
Old 28 May 2009, 10:51 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TheVoices
And snail munching !

I believe Bob Geldof summed it up in the visitors book of a hotel in France,

Q. Why are the streets of Paris lined with trees ?
A. So that the German army can march in the shade !
Bonnaparte linned the streets with trees so his troops could march in the shade as i understand it ..!
Old 29 May 2009, 10:41 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

******* surrender monkeys the lot of 'em. cvnts
Old 29 May 2009, 10:51 AM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Personally I think Gordon Brown should refuse his invitation in protest, if GB had not held out against **** Germany, there would not have been a war in Europe for the Americans to have (eventually) got involved with. Let us also not forget that we paid heavily for the so called 'Lend Lease' arrangement, unlike other countries one could mention.

My father (aged 92) is disgusted both by the way the French are behaving and in our spineless government for not standing up to them over it.
Old 29 May 2009, 11:41 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I suppose they are doing this to get back at us for beating them in Eurovision
Old 29 May 2009, 03:08 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

How dare they say it was primarily a French/American event. They should be shamed for that, but our leaders are as weak as water so no hope there.

They shoud be reminded that the Queen and Prince Philip did their bit during WW2 in the Services which is a lot more than most of them did!

Les
Old 29 May 2009, 03:13 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was across in Normandy last year touring the battlefields. My father-in-laws dad was killed about 6 days after D-Day after he parachuted in on D-Day. It is a very humbling experience, but there is no way on this earth that D-Day was an Franco-American event. If anything, looking at the forces used it was an Anglo-Canadian-American attack with support from the French resistance.
Old 29 May 2009, 08:57 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Let it go, guys, the French have been rewriting history, aided by the Yanks, for years now.

I remember my father getting into a real ding-dong, almost coming to blows with a Frenchman in a bar in the 70's: the French guy told him that England had to remember it was just an insignificant island off the coast of Europe.

My father responded that, "that insignificant island has saved the *rsehole of France TWICE in my lifetime"!

They are NOT proud of the part most of them played, so their government and media are changing it............
Old 29 May 2009, 09:39 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
I was across in Normandy last year touring the battlefields. My father-in-laws dad was killed about 6 days after D-Day after he parachuted in on D-Day. It is a very humbling experience, but there is no way on this earth that D-Day was an Franco-American event. If anything, looking at the forces used it was an Anglo-Canadian-American attack with support from the French resistance.
the Americans lost far more on D-Day, the British and Canadian landed mostly unapposed

The Americans suffered appalling casualties at Omaha beach

lets face it its not a competition everyone who took part was a hero -- and the French resistance played an important part too
Old 29 May 2009, 10:26 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by dpb
Bonnaparte linned the streets with trees so his troops could march in the shade as i understand it ..!
I'm guessing that Bob was having a subtle dig ?
Old 30 May 2009, 12:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
the Americans lost far more on D-Day, the British and Canadian landed mostly unapposed

The Americans suffered appalling casualties at Omaha beach

lets face it its not a competition everyone who took part was a hero -- and the French resistance played an important part too
They also suffered appalling casualties at Slapton Sands during rehearsals when their landing craft were attacked by German E Boats and they had all the wrong radio freqencies so no communications, and when they used live ammunition on their own men on the beach "to make it more realistic!" Over 770 men were killed.

Les
Old 30 May 2009, 10:43 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
They also suffered appalling casualties at Slapton Sands during rehearsals when their landing craft were attacked by German E Boats and they had all the wrong radio freqencies so no communications, and when they used live ammunition on their own men on the beach "to make it more realistic!" Over 770 men were killed.

Les
I think it took 3 weeks of fighting in France for battle casualties to outweigh casualties in the training for the runup to the invasion (slaptons sand tragedy included)

in fact I read a piece pre first gulf war by the military historian John Keegan who righly predicted that the allies would loose more to "friendly fire" and pre invasion training accidents than in battle -- and so it turned out
Old 31 May 2009, 10:09 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Flash was invited because he asked to be invited, He wasn't the slightest bit interested until he learnt that the saviour of mankind (Obama) was going to be there and saw it as a chance to brown-nose. Which is exactly why Sarkozy hasn't invited the Royals. Flash and his cronies have absolutely NO interest in history at all, they would rather we knew nothing about our past, as can be witnessed with school history lessons becoming all 'touchy-feely'. And don't mention the war - I did once but think I got away with it ....

Dave
Quite right,

How easily the French gov't forget that we put up their General Surrender Monkey De Galle and his cabinet during the war, that the Free French Air Force where trained and equipped with British aircraft whilst operating from Britain during the war.
We provided Air and sea support for the D-Day landings as well as soldiers to fight. And Why the landing where on we landed British Paratroopers, etc behind enemy lines to help secure strategic positions.
Normandy Landings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If the French gov't feel like this then fine. We can and should hold our heads up high and commemorate the battle back in the UK as this is where it all started and without our support or the British holding out though several years of hell that there would not have been a D-Day!
Old 31 May 2009, 03:22 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I would like to see Royalty attend the commemoration ceremonies at Slapton, the Americans pitch up there every year.

Les
Old 31 May 2009, 04:35 PM
BigAl024
Scooby Regular

Should have left the ****ers to speak German. So many lives wasted for a bunch of ungrateful, ignorant, chunts.
Old 31 May 2009, 05:40 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Hmmmmmmmmm

Not as many as were lost on WW1, on french soil, and THEY lost far more than we did.

The French people, for the most part, are NOT ignorant about to who they owe the debt, there are a few idiots, like here, and the rest are TOLD by their government and media.

A bit like us then...............
Old 31 May 2009, 07:08 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles
The French people, for the most part, are NOT ignorant about to who they owe the debt, there are a few idiots, like here, and the rest are TOLD by their government and media.

A bit like us then...............
Certainly the older French people appear to appreciate the British part in the war effort. I agree the politicians and media in all countries like to put spin on history to suit the occassion. Sarkozy seems to be less anti-Yank than previous French leaders.

I had the honour to meet a genuine, honest to god, hero of the French resistance. He was the grandfather of a school friend. He was quite proud of the fact that he rarely killed an enemy with a gun or grenade. He preferred to use his bare hands and a knife. His speciality was getting rid of sentries. He was quite aware of the effort the Brits put in to end the occupation, and quite scornful about the Yanks, and their attitude. Along the lines of "Over paid, over sexed and over here!" It's also not unusual, for bars and café's to not sell Coke or Pepsi, or other American products. Certainly in Brittany and Normandy.
Old 31 May 2009, 10:54 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChunkyDunky
It's also not unusual, for bars and café's to not sell Coke or Pepsi, or other American products. Certainly in Brittany and Normandy.
Really I haven’t found one that doesn’t yet
Old 01 June 2009, 10:42 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

I can think of one's in places like Vannes, Piriac sur Mer, Quimper. They tend to sell this stuff instead.

Breizh Cola : cola Breton et limonade Morgane, les sodas du Morbihan - Produit Bretagne

I'm not saying it's widespread. At least two of them have "Pas des produits Americaine" signs up, or words to that effect. I have been in a bar about 20 years ago, I think it was near Albi, right down the south west, that had no American products at all, no Bud, no JD, no Camel cigarettes, and it had a stars & stripes with a big black "X" on it, on the door to discourage Yanks from going in. Apparently the owner hated Yanks, because they were rude and thought they were the best thing since sliced bread. I have to say that a proportion of Yanks you see on holiday in Europe do fit the stereotypical image.

Two years ago in La Rochelle there were two American young "ladies", and I use the term reluctantly, that spent the whole hour they were in the restaurant at the table next to me and the wife, talking about sex, bodily functions and secretions in awful loud nasal voices, like the bird from Friends. They also complained non stop about the food and service not being up to scratch. I pointed out to them that there were people that spoke English that were privy to their charming conversation, including kids, and their response was that if we didn't like it we could leave! The people in the restaurant refused to serve them with dessert or coffee and asked them to leave in the end.
Old 02 June 2009, 11:46 AM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

My dad and I were talking about this last night and he said there were two major contributory factors as to why their casualties were much higher. They initially tried to land in the wrong place and against Churchill's specific request the decided to have a bombardment first. The result of both of these things was the Germans were alerted to their arrival and they were able to mount a bigger defence to the US Forces than would otherwise have been the case.

They also tended to suffer a higher mortality rate from their casualties as they were reluctant to learn from what we had already learnt during the war. When the Americans joined the war my father was one of the doctors asked to prepare a booklet on treating war casualties using the experience they had already gained and when the booklet was delivered he and a couple of the other doctors were asked to dinner at one of the major US bases. After dinner they were asked outside for a 'show' The 'show' was the Americans burning the booklets.........
Old 02 June 2009, 11:52 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

One word... Karma

Do bad things, bad things happen!
Old 02 June 2009, 02:16 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
I think it took 3 weeks of fighting in France for battle casualties to outweigh casualties in the training for the runup to the invasion (slaptons sand tragedy included)

in fact I read a piece pre first gulf war by the military historian John Keegan who righly predicted that the allies would loose more to "friendly fire" and pre invasion training accidents than in battle -- and so it turned out
Keeps on happening doesn't it?

Les

Quick Reply: France delcares D-Day memorial Franco-American event