Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anybody willing to help me with a bit of market reseach on buying Bouquets of Flowers

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2009, 04:52 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Anybody willing to help me with a bit of market reseach on buying Bouquets of Flowers

My wife and I are in the process of hoping to buy a florist shop, my wife has beenworking from home up till now, and we are doing some market reseach and was wondering what you guys would spend on average from a flower shop, or would you simply buy from a supermarket, all replys gratefully received.
Cheers
Colin

Last edited by Scoob99; 28 May 2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 28 May 2009, 04:54 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Depends if the flowers are for the wife or Girlfried

£30 sounds about right for a bouquet - more if special occaison (like annual blow job etc)
Old 28 May 2009, 05:02 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that
Old 28 May 2009, 05:03 PM
Wilky_Boy
Scooby Regular

Hi mate. My ex-in-laws have a florist and up until recently ( the last five years or so ) they were doing really well. Then the supermarkets ( Aldi, Tesco, etc.. ) started knocking out cheap bouquets. Most blokes don't know recognise the hard work, prep and care that florists take with their flowers and are happy to buy the crap from the supermarket. Let's face it, their Mrs is still getting a bunch of flowers and they get the same brownie points for spending less cash !!!! They aren't bothered that they start to go off within a very short time frame. Personally, on principal I would only ever buy flowers from a florist. Plus ( not being sexest ) I think women can tell the difference between flowers from a supermarket that just look good ( for a short time !! ), and flowers that have been thought about, well presented and last. I would always spend between £10 and £20 on a bouquet and for that I would expect to be able to give the florist an idea of what I want ( e.g. colours, occassion,etc... ) and then let them work their magic.

Anyway, sorry for ranting mate it just p1sses me off when big chains of supermarkets affect small businesses by selling inferior products for less. Best of luck with the shop mate. You've always got weddings, funerals, Valentines day and mother's day too !!!
Old 28 May 2009, 05:15 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

I work at an 'upmarket' supermarket and sometimes I buy from there (if they're for the churchyard or just for me). Otherwise I like to support our local florist in the high street (we've got 2, but I always use the same one). Speaking as a girly, I would prefer a bunch from a proper florist shop anyday. They know their stuff, and it's far more personal and it means an effort has been made to buy something I would really love (not that Mr OS EVER buys me flowers! .

If I buy for other people, it's the local girls every time.
Old 28 May 2009, 05:21 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

£30-40 from a trusted florist and have them delivered too. Will spend a little more for special occasions. Never bought flowers from a supermarket or a garage forecourt.
Old 28 May 2009, 05:27 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

£30 - £35 usually for a good bunch from a florists. Have spent £50, but was younger and more stupid back then
Old 28 May 2009, 05:27 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Thank you Guys and girls, please keep them coming
Cheers
Colin
Old 28 May 2009, 05:37 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

For convenience and not too special occasions the supermarket. otherwise a trusted florist or interflora if for a long distance.

If i may a few things to think about and you may have already;
I take it you are doing due diligence on the florists as a matter of course.
Has the florist/shop got a good reputation?
Are you renting/buying the property and the name or are you re branding?
Location, location, location is vital as is parking, real close by if not outside.
who and what is your nearest competition?
Website/presence on the net.
Look for common services such as venues, hotels, photographers, dress makers/hire &caterers who you can advertise their services and vise verse.

Ta

Paul

Last edited by The Zohan; 28 May 2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 28 May 2009, 05:49 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I get a grogeous bouquet from my local florists, delivered for £25. I would be prepared to go to £30.
Same florists, make me a lovely little posy, every Christmas to put on my friends baby's grave. £15.
Old 28 May 2009, 06:48 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

If it's an impulse buy then usually I would get them from a supermarket- I'm there doing the weekly shopping and go past the flower display and just pick a bunch up. For any sort of occasion I would go to a florist especially for something like a funeral, normally paying £20-£25.
I would pay extra for artistic arrangements rather than the traditional bouquet, ie modern hand-tied or Jane Packer style.
Location would be a big priority too, must have parking nearby, and if it was near gift/ homeware type shops I would probably go for a browse. Near us there is a really nice florist that has gorgeous arrangements done up with the vase included and they also sell fancy small gifts and handmade cards, bath bombs etc.
Old 28 May 2009, 07:04 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
For convenience and not too special occasions the supermarket. otherwise a trusted florist or interflora if for a long distance.

If i may a few things to think about and you may have already;
I take it you are doing due diligence on the florists as a matter of course.
Has the florist/shop got a good reputation?
Are you renting/buying the property and the name or are you re branding?
Location, location, location is vital as is parking, real close by if not outside.
who and what is your nearest competition?
Website/presence on the net.
Look for common services such as venues, hotels, photographers, dress makers/hire &caterers who you can advertise their services and vise verse.

Ta

Paul

Hi Paul,
My wife has been wedding work from home for the last 3 years, and it has taken off big time this year at the moment she has 18 weddings this year, the property is on lease and their is ample parking as it is near our local bank, jewlllers, etc, it has been their 20 years, we have also got a lot of contacts in this buissness, and we can offer a more personel service, it has a website up and running too, we have friends who have a wedding cake buissness also a car hire company, a chair cover company ansd a photograper too
so we can offer an all in one package if need be
Cheers
Colin
Old 28 May 2009, 07:42 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Last time my O/H got flowers from me it was Daffodils which I picked in the park coming home from the pub 'twas worth it though as I got a ride!
Old 28 May 2009, 07:43 PM
zeuss
Scooby Regular

As a female I would like to say that any flowers my hubby gives me are special but from a florist id say it was more of a thought went into it which id appreciate a lot more - and cost I would say he would spend £20 + from a florist
Old 28 May 2009, 08:32 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Tam the bam
Last time my O/H got flowers from me it was Daffodils which I picked in the park coming home from the pub 'twas worth it though as I got a ride!

You tight Git!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 28 May 2009, 09:24 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

BTTT
Old 28 May 2009, 09:30 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

6-8 quid from a supermarket for brighten the house stuff.
40-50 for a mid sized hand tied or arrangement (football/basketball size) for special occasions or apologies
Tend to avoid bouquets as more hassle to trim and vase.
Old 28 May 2009, 09:56 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

offer what supermarkets cannot, free delivery on orders exceeding a certain amount, bespoke bouqets using flowers associated with special dates i.e. so called 'birth' flowers The Birth Flower Guide, offer a web ordering service. I personally would pay 20-50 on a bouquet depending on who or what it is for, but get people through your door with flowers advertised at supermarket prices, and offer cheap bouqets for the tight fisted out there, but salesmanship will usually win once people are in your shop.
Old 28 May 2009, 10:02 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

With a florist, more than most other businesses, location is everything. My next door neighbour has a florists shop just off a stockbroker belt High St, but just up a narrow St. No parking or passing trade. She's struggling. I know another, in a 10'x10'shop, but between offices and Hammesmith tube. She doesn't need to do weddings or commercial displays. Passing office workers keep her in a flat on the Thames and driving a Porsche.
Old 29 May 2009, 07:34 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoob99
Hi Paul,
My wife has been wedding work from home for the last 3 years, and it has taken off big time this year at the moment she has 18 weddings this year, the property is on lease and their is ample parking as it is near our local bank, jewlllers, etc, it has been their 20 years, we have also got a lot of contacts in this buissness, and we can offer a more personel service, it has a website up and running too, we have friends who have a wedding cake buissness also a car hire company, a chair cover company ansd a photograper too
so we can offer an all in one package if need be
Cheers
Colin
Hi there,

Sounds like you have it well covered, i am sure you have looked into this but; are there plans in the pipeline for a Teaso-a-like store (big or small) near you??? A;ways worth checking.
Old 29 May 2009, 08:24 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

The only store near us is a Tesco's but you can't get the type of service we are going to offer, we both feel it is the right time and the right thing to do.
Cheers
Colin
Old 29 May 2009, 12:47 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

BTTT
Old 29 May 2009, 12:49 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

For quickness I would normally buy from a Supermarket. If it is more planned, I would buy from the internet (like ValueFlora).

Florists seems to be stuck in the middle, good for things like weddings etc...

Steve
Old 29 May 2009, 05:53 PM
blue scooby
Scooby Regular

always get them delivered from a florists...if you get them yourself and give them it does not have the same affect.......around £35 to £45 for a nice size
Old 29 May 2009, 08:36 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Thank you guys for your help Will keep you informed about the shop.
Cheers
Colin