Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Victorian workhouses and asylums, would they work these days?

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2009, 12:24 AM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Victorian workhouses and asylums, would they work these days?

As above, would they?

As there are so many work-shy gets riding the gravy train for all it's worth, would it be a good idea to bring such places back, so the beggars could put something back in to the country/community, personally I think yes they should be brought back as too many folk feel it's ok to just sit on their **** whilst we workers pay for their house and lifestyle, paying for their alcohol and crack whilst they do **** all!

Asylums, do you think they should be re-opened to house the serious amount of care in the community fruits we have strolling about?

Discuss please
Old 28 May 2009, 12:44 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Human rights would stop this happening, oh and the fact the government seems happy to support the 'I don't want to work, I don't have to work'.

Personally, unless someone has got good reason to not be able to work, people should be made to, or made to work for benefits. Not straight away (if made unemployed etc), but there should be a cap on how long an able person should be allowed to be out of work, before some action is taken.

There is certainly an increasing culture of people playing the system one way or another and imo it needs shook up. I know myself there are people who have been in times of need and had no help at all, while others use the system as a permanent pay packet. A shake up needs to come, in what exact form, I'm no sure.
Old 28 May 2009, 01:03 AM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
Human rights would stop this happening, oh and the fact the government seems happy to support the 'I don't want to work, I don't have to work'.

Personally, unless someone has got good reason to not be able to work, people should be made to, or made to work for benefits. Not straight away (if made unemployed etc), but there should be a cap on how long an able person should be allowed to be out of work, before some action is taken.

There is certainly an increasing culture of people playing the system one way or another and imo it needs shook up. I know myself there are people who have been in times of need and had no help at all, while others use the system as a permanent pay packet. A shake up needs to come, in what exact form, I'm no sure.
The human rights crap should be abolished in this case IMHO, but I agree with what you say, there are far too many spongers sitting pissing their selves laughing at us workers, whilst getting their rent, bills, alcohol and drugs paid by us mugs! I truly think those scum should be put in workhouses and made to give something back to those who are paying for the shysters! Better still burn the freeloaders in a powerstation, electricity for the workers and death to the scroungers of society! win win!
Old 28 May 2009, 01:11 AM
Lisawrx

And I thought I was pissed off.

Truthfully, I see this crap each day, people laughing at us workers. Whether it be at work, or even closer to home, and it annoys the hell out of me.

I have made my share of mistakes in life, not going into detail, but I still go out each day, and graft my **** off to pay my way. I had (and have) medical stuff going on that has threatened my job, but other than a period off, I soldier on. I'm not perfect, and I don't judge people, but I do have a huge dislike of those who just simply won't work, and it's allowed to happen.
Old 28 May 2009, 10:12 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Been saying this for ages Tam.

No free housing and no actual benefits for those out of work long term.

Workhouses and meal centres so no money to spend on tabs and booze.

Govt issue furniture and a TV plus some sort of PC terminal that allows you to look at news and job sites nothing more.

Don't like it? Get a job!

Would also allow people to avoid this by doing government issue work for 3 days a week so they have 2 days to job hunt.

Problem with all the "we'll cut your benefit" chat is that they can't actually take it away from them or make anyone homeless and the spongers know it.

Too many rights and no responsibilities.

5t.
Old 28 May 2009, 10:40 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Yep Jello Biafra got it right ...

Efficiency and progress is ours once more
Now that we have the neutron bomb
Its nice and quick and clean and gets things done
Away with excess enemy
But no less value to property
No sense in war but perfect sense at home

The sun beams down on a brand new day
No more welfare tax to pay
Unsightly slums gone up in flashing light
Jobless millions whisked away
At last we have more room to play
All systems go to kill the poor tonight

Gonna
Kill kill kill kill kill the poor - tonight
Old 28 May 2009, 11:04 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I was very lucky and thoroughly enjoyed my job. I could never have thought of going on the social services anyway. I think the human race needs some kind of a real challenge in life to feel fulfilled and not only that, to improve your own lifestyle. Only way to do that if you are on benefits of course is to join the black economy. That must be rife and they are all taking the **** out of those who do it honestly.

We need a strong person to lead this country and who has got the right ideas and the will to support our culture and traditions. Been a long time since we had one of those and it really shows!

Les
Old 28 May 2009, 02:58 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

I know a guy who is umemployed, he is living with his girlfirend who has 3 kids from different fathers (none of them are his), she refuses to pay any gas, water or electricity because she knows they are not allowed to cut her off. WTF!!

He texts me regularly and says things like 'my missus has just bought me tickets for the PDC darts final' and I think but she's unemployed with the 3 kids...how the **** can she do that
Old 28 May 2009, 04:05 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

I think it's an excellent idea Tam.

Let them know what real hardship is without their home comforts supplied by us (but that's enough about MPs ). And another thing........anyone caught doing graffiti should be made to clean it off.
Old 28 May 2009, 04:32 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Agree Tam!

I've said this for years! make them join the army or set up work schemes for them to make goods for export and pay them half of minimum wage. That way they can get a proper job if they don't like it and the UK can profit from the cheap labour. The work schemes should be state owned only and all proceeds go into paying off all this countries debt and getting us back on track and get some savings in the bank (like Australia)

This would also help weed out all the illegal immigrants (1million + as fugures suggest), it may seem extreme but I would deploy the Army to the streets of the UK to round up any immigrant here illegally or without 2 generations of family here legally and send them home. **** their human rights, this country is a mess and we can't support them. Once we ease ourselves of 1 million illegals and people that have no right to come and sponge of us Brit and shut the borders we should be in a much better position.

Yes, my method might seem extreme but our situation needs extreme action before this once great kingdom go's to ****!

I'm sick of being bent over for tax to pay for spongers, its about time it was sorted.
Old 28 May 2009, 04:37 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Everywhere I look these days there is rubbish and abandoned supermarket trolleys. Get the layabouts to pick up litter 3 days a week to earn their benefits
Old 29 May 2009, 03:44 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its money for old rope-or do I mean votes?

Les
Old 29 May 2009, 04:06 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Currently being unemployed I would welcome the idea of a workhouse etc as my bills need paid and i'm not unemployed because i didn't want to work but due to my hand being forced into the situation i'm at.

Slightly off topic but fair enough there are people who don't work and don't want too. I have worked since i was 15, I have never claimed for any sort of benefit in my working life yet i fall on hards times and I can't get support as i left my job rather than got sacked, all the payment protection i have paid extra for on my credit/loan means **** all as they wont pay either so really i am stranded. Even if i get a job in the next few weeks, it will take me at least 3months to get on the straight and narrow and my credit record is now in tatters for the next 6years. So because i left rather than got sacked, I have a partner but don't have sprogs and as i don't live in a council house and have always paid my way I get nothing....Oh and the less i say about the Citizens Advice Bureau the better.

Excellent.
Old 29 May 2009, 04:28 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tam the bam
As above, would they?

Asylums, do you think they should be re-opened to house the serious amount of care in the community fruits we have strolling about?

Discuss please
Why, do people with mental health problems and disabled people offend you? It does happen, but it's usually 60 year old women I have to do battle with.
Or do you read the red-tops and think there's millions of psychos
walking the streets waiting to kill peope?
Old 29 May 2009, 04:39 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Got a better suggestion for the work shy.

National service, put em in Afganistan or Iraq and then see how many of them want to work instead of having hot lead thrown at them.
Old 29 May 2009, 05:05 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Currently being unemployed I would welcome the idea of a workhouse etc as my bills need paid and i'm not unemployed because i didn't want to work but due to my hand being forced into the situation i'm at.

Slightly off topic but fair enough there are people who don't work and don't want too. I have worked since i was 15, I have never claimed for any sort of benefit in my working life yet i fall on hards times and I can't get support as i left my job rather than got sacked, all the payment protection i have paid extra for on my credit/loan means **** all as they wont pay either so really i am stranded. Even if i get a job in the next few weeks, it will take me at least 3months to get on the straight and narrow and my credit record is now in tatters for the next 6years. So because i left rather than got sacked, I have a partner but don't have sprogs and as i don't live in a council house and have always paid my way I get nothing....Oh and the less i say about the Citizens Advice Bureau the better.

Excellent.
You won't find a job surfing on here all day..........
Old 29 May 2009, 05:09 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

because i left rather than got sacked....
You be able to stick in a claim for JSA and submit a form which states that your reasons for leaving, which they have to consider.
Old 29 May 2009, 05:11 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
You be able to stick in a claim for JSA and submit a form which states that your reasons for leaving, which they have to consider.
Anyone "walking" from a job doesn't deserve assistance.... keep it for people that are made redundant, not those that walk......
Old 29 May 2009, 05:18 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Anyone "walking" from a job doesn't deserve assistance.... keep it for people that are made redundant, not those that walk......
DCI it is clear that you are trying to get a rise but unfortunately i wont bite as i know what you and your croonies are like
Old 29 May 2009, 05:23 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Have tried that going down the route that I wasn't being paid for the hours I worked and the whole contructive dismissal thing well. I've been told to seek legal advice but i feel that if anything this will just bog me down rather than just getting on with things. Just have to wait and see. Luckily I have a job interview on Tuesday and another few lined up as i've gathered a good reputation in retail so at the minute i'm just trying to cover my back. To be entirely honest I am looking forward to doing a non-sales job, so fingers crossed this one of Tuesday works out.
Old 29 May 2009, 05:23 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

DCI it is clear that you are trying to get a rise but unfortunately i wont bite as i know what you and your croonies are like
Absolutely not the case; do you think for one second that most people "like" their jobs?.... well do you?

The answers an emphatic "no"........ and people that just decide that they don't like how they're treated or being spoken too and feel they can just get up and walk out (signing on the dole as they go) make me feckin sick.....

So I couldn't care if you "get a rise" or not..... as I'm sure if you don't like the way this threads going you'll probably just walk (again).
Old 29 May 2009, 05:25 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

"croonies" PMSL................