Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

really need a job now

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2009, 06:14 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default really need a job now

hi all, does anyone know of any jobs in the tameside/manchester area.. as ive said before my trade is in print finishing but ive got to the point of anything will do.. funds are at a low and stuff will have to be sold soon

can anyone help
Old 27 May 2009, 06:25 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i understand your situation mate, for the past 3/4months i've been working on a 1/3 wage and on Monday and flipped out during a meeting with my Area Manager after he threatened me and brought my family situation into the discussion.

I have £70 on me and will recieve 2weeks basic wage of £390. My car needs taxed, fixed and MOT'd ASAP. I also defaulted on my credit card payments today which i am told will effect my credit score for the next 6years and the payment protection of my personal loan is useless because i quit rather than got sacked. Checked out the local Job Centre yesterday and there is literally nothing going.

Just keeping my chin up at the mo, as going into work everyday made me feel ill.

Hope all works out for you mate!
Old 27 May 2009, 06:30 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

thanks for that mate, luckily my mortgage and loan protection are in place but that doesnt help the fact that nothing is coming in the house from my side.. ok the wife works but that wont pay even half of what needs to be paid.. im just hopeing that something will turn up and soon.
Old 27 May 2009, 06:34 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fingers crossed for you fella, James too.

April 15th 2008 since I last worked, and August 5th 2008 since I had a job. It ain't as easy as some tossers on here would have you think
Old 27 May 2009, 06:38 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just look through the tameside advertiser, may have some jobs in there, or just try googling on line, its just that some area's are really hard hit at the moment, there is a print place in Denton, on manchester road? dunno what they do, worth a try though

Tony
Old 27 May 2009, 06:42 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

thanks choco-brian..

thanks for that too tony..ill take alook through the paper when it arrives,as for the place in denton...i dont know of it but ill find it.
Old 27 May 2009, 06:44 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Fingers crossed for you fella, James too.

April 15th 2008 since I last worked, and August 5th 2008 since I had a job. It ain't as easy as some tossers on here would have you think
Too true, when i visited the Job Centre (first time in my life) i thought they were shooting a new scene for Shameless

Got my car keyed again too.....I love how society kicked you when your down

I'm not too proud to take a medial job so i've applied for everything from Cleaners to Sutan of Arabia, got my suit dry cleaned and my shoes polished and i'm ready to show someone what i'm worth. The way i see it in my previous job i made it from Runner(lifting boxes) to Assistant Manager in less than 3years and within 1year of being AM i was offered the Managers job so i must have something going for me. and COB, Powerwrx you's need to think in the same light as its too easy to be ground down. I have had six months of being belittled at my job and when i was offered other sales jobs i actually doubted my ability to do them but i realised that i was being punished not for my own inabilities but because of those around/in charge of me.

Lets the games begin lads!

Last edited by Jamz3k; 27 May 2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 27 May 2009, 06:45 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck guys ... supermarket nights is a ****ty job but pays £8+ an hour ... or even call centre work .. sucks but might help you through a ****ty spot..
Old 27 May 2009, 06:54 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Good luck guys ... supermarket nights is a ****ty job but pays £8+ an hour ... or even call centre work .. sucks but might help you through a ****ty spot..
Aye Tesco/Asda etc isn't too bad really. I can't do it for my physical restrictions, well saying that I'd have a job still if it weren't for them

Only downer about call centre work is its usually fiancially related. I went to two jobs at a Lloyds TSB call centre. Soon as they found out about my defaulted credit history (due to lack of ££), they said I had no chance. Thats a kick in the bollocks.

For the record, if you write I AM NOT ENGLISH round here, you're guaranteed work. Andy isn't a foreign name though so I is buggered.
Old 27 May 2009, 06:58 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

by next week i can see me standing outside supermarkets with a pink tutu on singing "my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard" if i'm honest
Old 27 May 2009, 07:06 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
by next week i can see me standing outside supermarkets with a pink tutu on singing "my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard" if i'm honest
YouTube - peter griffin sings milkshake

Old 27 May 2009, 07:49 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Have you tried fish4 jobs - Job search and recruitment

Probably a waste of time, but worth a look. Hope you get something soon
Old 27 May 2009, 08:03 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We are on what is essentially a 3 day week at the minute I would be around £60 a week better off sat at home on housing/council tax benefits, if it were not for my little window cleaning job on the side. And it's the kind of work where Gordon Brown doesn't get his greasy hands on any of it
Old 27 May 2009, 08:37 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
We are on what is essentially a 3 day week at the minute I would be around £60 a week better off sat at home on housing/council tax benefits, if it were not for my little window cleaning job on the side. And it's the kind of work where Gordon Brown doesn't get his greasy hands on any of it
Can you pm me some details. Your circumstances must be severely different to mine, as I am entitled to 6 months JSA then I get nothing. The Government figures state you should be able to live on £95 a week, and as my beautiful fiancee earns min wage 40 hours a week, we get **** all.

I presume you are over 25, and have children? This post isn't a dig, but it states whats wrong with the system currently.

You get the usual dicks on other threads going on about the easy benefits system, and then theres me... I currently (for the next 6 weeks anyway) get £47.95 a week JSA, thats it. I'll go out and buy plenty a Nintendo Wii/Plasma tv with that. I wanna know these dudes with loadsa money from benefits, sod you lot; I want some of that
Old 27 May 2009, 08:57 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

27 with 1 child. I was speaking hypothetically if I was made redundant. if I walked away I would get sod all.
Old 27 May 2009, 10:14 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

choco-brian im married with a daughter an my jsa is £60.50pw..how come yours is lower? i thought it would all be the same.
Old 27 May 2009, 10:16 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
27 with 1 child. I was speaking hypothetically if I was made redundant. if I walked away I would get sod all.
Well I was dismissed on capability (medical) grounds. 6 months regardless and I get f*ck all. And to those cvnts who say you should have a job in 6 months, try living in my area with my restrictions before you open you mouth.
Old 27 May 2009, 10:24 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by powerwrx
choco-brian im married with a daughter an my jsa is £60.50pw..how come yours is lower? i thought it would all be the same.
Erm, because I whine and moan alot about having no job and folk send me abusive pm's

I think as I'm 24 maybe? And actually wanna find work like yourself. As said I dunno how the **** these shameless wannabes do it, but without kids, you get **** all. If to fit the sterotype, I may as well get the Mrs pregnant otherwise I'll be letting NSR down.
Old 27 May 2009, 10:49 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

There are still plenty jobs out there for you if you're willing to work, too many people use the 'there are no jobs to be had' line as an excuse to scrounge off the state! I was made redundant earlier this year, and got work again easier than I thought! However if you're toiling to get a job, why not go back to College etc. and learn a new job, I know a lot of folk who have done exactly that and are now enjoying doing new jobs! It has to be better than being a doley living on other working peoples tax money like many people do. Hope all works out for you
Old 27 May 2009, 11:16 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I get **** all JSA cus i walked out of my job COB it sucks *****. oh how i wish i'd saved some of the money i earnt last year instead of wiping my **** with fivers, drinking starbucks because its cool, buying stupid fish tanks and thinkin how great it would be to say my first car was an Alfa
Old 27 May 2009, 11:49 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been made redundant twice in my career, once in a bad economic climate. Get yourself onto as many decent recruiters books as possible. Always works for me and they seem to want to help you out, as it is in their interest to get you work asap. They might not always find the exact job you are looking for and you may have to do some part time consultancy/temp work, but at least you get a foot in the door. If you can prove your worth then it can usually end up with a perm position. This is how it happened for me on both occasions and I'm actually doing a job I like now, with decent career prospects.
Old 27 May 2009, 11:56 PM
Lisawrx

To be honest, if times are so desperate, you need money to survive, then get looking for a 'menial' job as people put it. Shop work, cleaning, delivery driving etc. the list goes on. All of these are jobs that need done, however much they are looked down on, there will always be a need for workers in this field (hopefully), so even as a short term measure it keeps some money coming in, and may keep you out of real trouble.

Also, while doing the 'crappy' job, you could also look into retraining in your free time to go into a totally different line of work. If not, it buys some time, until things might pick up in your trade, and it may look good in the long term if you have kept yourself in work until something more applicable comes up.

All I can say, is no matter what happens, good luck, and I hope all turns out well.
Old 28 May 2009, 12:02 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
I get **** all JSA cus i walked out of my job COB it sucks *****. oh how i wish i'd saved some of the money i earnt last year instead of wiping my **** with fivers, drinking starbucks because its cool, buying stupid fish tanks and thinkin how great it would be to say my first car was an Alfa
£5er's, you light weight. This is NSR, only £20s and £50s exist here my good man.

Originally Posted by bioforger
I've been made redundant twice in my career, once in a bad economic climate. Get yourself onto as many decent recruiters books as possible. Always works for me and they seem to want to help you out, as it is in their interest to get you work asap. They might not always find the exact job you are looking for and you may have to do some part time consultancy/temp work, but at least you get a foot in the door. If you can prove your worth then it can usually end up with a perm position. This is how it happened for me on both occasions and I'm actually doing a job I like now, with decent career prospects.
Agree. Along with the terrible reputation recruitment consultants have, it is generally in their interests to find you work, as ultimately they get paid for this. Even if it's flower arranging for a rocket scientist

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
To be honest, if times are so desperate, you need money to survive, then get looking for a 'menial' job as people put it. Shop work, cleaning, delivery driving etc. the list goes on. All of these are jobs that need done, however much they are looked down on, there will always be a need for workers in this field (hopefully), so even as a short term measure it keeps some money coming in, and may keep you out of real trouble.

Also, while doing the 'crappy' job, you could also look into retraining in your free time to go into a totally different line of work. If not, it buys some time, until things might pick up in your trade, and it may look good in the long term if you have kept yourself in work until something more applicable comes up.

All I can say, is no matter what happens, good luck, and I hope all turns out well.
Sometimes the min wage jobs don't include stuff which plays on your kind such as is included in more prestige positions. This does leave you free to do night/afteroon courses at college. Again something I've looked into as for some reason even min wage employers want you to have ridiculous amounts of experience now. They are almost taking advantage of the situation re. people unemployed and thus being more picky.
Old 28 May 2009, 12:11 AM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

The Lady speaks sense, sometimes it's better to do a crap job and earn your worth rather than sit on your ****! like many do whilst taking every penny you can get by being a doley layabout, I believe if you can't get some kind of employment within a month of being paid off, you're just a sponger and lazy work shy scrounger, as said before, there is work if you want it or the dole if you can't be arsed

Personally I think the work shy spongers should be put in some kind of institution where they are forced to give back the working peoples tax they steal, I'd happily like to see a return of the Victorian style workhouses, 6 months should be the max you can claim/ receive free handouts, then it's time to move into a workhouse unless you can support yourself/family Time to stop the spongers IMHO!
Old 28 May 2009, 12:15 AM
Lisawrx

£5er's, you light weight. This is NSR, only £20s and £50s exist here my good man.

Agree. Along with the terrible reputation recruitment consultants have, it is generally in their interests to find you work, as ultimately they get paid for this. Even if it's flower arranging for a rocket scientist

Sometimes the min wage jobs don't include stuff which plays on your kind such as is included in more prestige positions. This does leave you free to do night/afteroon courses at college. Again something I've looked into as for some reason even min wage employers want you to have ridiculous amounts of experience now. They are almost taking advantage of the situation re. people unemployed and thus being more picky.
Even years back, min wage jobs often required stupid amounts of experience (for the role) on the surface. When I left school, all the jobs ideal for that time in my life wanted experience that was impossible for any school leave to have. However with a bit effort, I got a job after no time. Was only temporary, but it did for then, I then got another job, just from sending off a CV, before they were advertising.

It's not always easy, I know that for a fact, but a bit of effort goes a long way. Not only that, you don't always need experience specific to the role in such jobs, but ffs, if you need something, show at least enthusiasm, and willingness, however hard it may be to drum up.

Even in these roles, they are still businesses and don't just employ someone who doesn't gaf. Rightly there is more competition now, but things haven't changed that much. Most medial jobs will take on people who are keen, or even at times honest (we have), above having years of experience.
Old 28 May 2009, 12:20 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Even years back, min wage jobs often required stupid amounts of experience (for the role) on the surface. When I left school, all the jobs ideal for that time in my life wanted experience that was impossible for any school leave to have. However with a bit effort, I got a job after no time. Was only temporary, but it did for then, I then got another job, just from sending off a CV, before they were advertising.

It's not always easy, I know that for a fact, but a bit of effort goes a long way. Not only that, you don't always need experience specific to the role in such jobs, but ffs, if you need something, show at least enthusiasm, and willingness, however hard it may be to drum up.

Even in these roles, they are still businesses and don't just employ someone who doesn't gaf. Rightly there is more competition now, but things haven't changed that much. Most medial jobs will take on people who are keen, or even at times honest (we have), above having years of experience.
Agree with the enthusaism points, but round here I would disagree that honesty gets you work. It kinda almost pays to lie or stretch the truth to get work in this area. Besides the "usuals" you see down the dole office, you'd be currently suprised at the well spoken and dressed types who are looking for anything like the o.p. to pay bills. I wish I could walk into anything and say "yes I'll do that", but my circumstances depict I can't, which is what I get stick for by the ignorant

Lisa, I wanna work in your shop
Old 28 May 2009, 12:34 AM
Lisawrx

Agree with the enthusaism points, but round here I would disagree that honesty gets you work. It kinda almost pays to lie or stretch the truth to get work in this area. Besides the "usuals" you see down the dole office, you'd be currently suprised at the well spoken and dressed types who are looking for anything like the o.p. to pay bills. I wish I could walk into anything and say "yes I'll do that", but my circumstances depict I can't, which is what I get stick for by the ignorant

Lisa, I wanna work in your shop
Your case is different, as you have something hindering you, but not necessarily stopping you working. You may not walk into something as easily, but I would say there could be something out there. It depends what you are willing/able to do, and more importantly I don't know your area, so don't know the direction to point you in.

As for honesty, it all depends on the job/place/people, but in this climate, it has been known to work. We took on someone over Christmas, who had been sacked from his previous shop job, due to a theft issue. He was contesting it, and if what he said was true, he was not at fault. He was straight up and told us about this, he also said he just wanted anything to get him off the dole. We took him on. Not only that, but as it was only temporary he was let go, but as we have a new position available now, he is being brought back.

Now, I'm not saying this will always work, but it did for him. Not to mention how many people have been taken on, with little experience, but did ok in an interview, then proved themselves enough when taken on.

Sometimes, regardless of what you want to do, you have to fight for something you might not. It's not ideal, it's not nice, but if it pays the bills... Jeez, I don't want to be where I am, and I'm not going to justify why I'm still there, but you do what yo have to do.

Oh, and by the way, you really wouldn't want to work in my shop.
Old 28 May 2009, 07:07 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tam the bam
Oh can I sense a case of 'I'm disabled'??? Well shock horror, someone else giving the dole an excuse not to work, well done you, but the gov as stupid as they are, are actually closing down on fraudsters like you and it's about time too!
Tam I'm not gonna bite fella, let it go.

Lisa, again agree with you. I've always been honest and the interviews I have had I've tried to play down my issues. It's good to hear an employer taking on someone with an unclear history (as you said, he was contesting it) as a lot would run a mile.

One thing I have tried to clue myself up on inbetween odd jobs and my artwork etc, is employment law. Just to know rights and what sort of things to say and what sort of things employers should ask. Does sound quite dastardly the way I've put it I'm also quite into the whole Union thing and have offered my time voluntarily to my current Union I'm still in. I said I'm not bothered about getting paid for it as it's experience all the same. You never know things like this lead to other things.

A suggestion for Powerwrx... I'm not too clued up on it, but if you are struggling for work and have a young childwith a Mrs earning, can you not get said earnings topped up with family tax credits? Is it worth ringing up the Jobcentre or DWP to ask? As said earlier me being 24 I miss out on some stuff to help me as I don't have kiddlies yet, but you must be entitled to a little while your searching buddy? Just a thought

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 28 May 2009 at 07:13 AM.
Old 28 May 2009, 10:21 AM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

im claiming all i can at the moment, JSA..child tax credit.. ive tried to claim for my council tax too but they say that my wife earns too much to make any difference to the amount we pay on council tax. (very annoying)

as for taking any job to get by then trust me ive applied for alot, all the low paid jobs have gone too, theres that many out of work that even the mim wage jobs are taken. ive looked at cleaning, delivery driving ect but they've gone or they want experience.

going to college isnt an option for me im afraid, i cant afford to put my daughter into nursery at the moment so she is home with me. £35-£40 a day nursery fee's are a joke

Quick Reply: really need a job now