Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

If you come down to the woods today your sure of a big suprise - home to eco-migrants

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2009, 12:29 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question If you come down to the park today your sure of a big suprise - home to eco-migrants

Desperate jobless camp at Delapre - Northampton Chronicle and Echo

You have to feel sorry for them and their predicament - so, why not go home, how else are you going to support yourself in a foreign country without a roof over your head, without work, benefits, etc.

What's left, crime???

Surely they should be removed back in their country of origin or are they the UK and UK taxpayers problem now???

from the article
"We have been here for five years and we worked in Peterborough and Skegness but there are too many problems. Back home in Slovakia, it's no good so we will stay in England until we are dead."

Mr Strmen said the group visited the Hope Centre in Ash Street, Northampton and the Jesus Centre in Abington Square to get food but the men also suffer health problems and are unable to access treatment.

Their basic settlement offers meagre shelter with a small camp fire in the middle of the tents.

Earlier this year, the Chron discovered a makeshift campsite on the other side of the lake where a group of friends – many of whom were from Northampton – had been living for several weeks before moving on to the grounds of Delapre Abbey and then Hardingstone village.

Discuss...

Last edited by The Zohan; 27 May 2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 27 May 2009, 12:40 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

To me it is this quote that makes the big difference

We go every day to the agency and the job centre but there are no jobs so we have no house and no money.
Unlike the lazy scumbags who were born and bred in this country who are more than happy to claim dole and every other benefit they can lay their grubby little mits on these people want to work and will do any old ****ty job that is put their way and for less than minimum wage. In some respects it's thanks to them that stuff like spuds, carrots, etc. gets to our supermarkets as you don't get many Brits prepared to work twelve hour days in a field getting grubby.

I genuinely feel sorry for them
Old 27 May 2009, 12:47 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
To me it is this quote that makes the big difference

Unlike the lazy scumbags who were born and bred in this country who are more than happy to claim dole and every other benefit they can lay their grubby little mits on these people want to work and will do any old ****ty job that is put their way and for less than minimum wage. In some respects it's thanks to them that stuff like spuds, carrots, etc. gets to our supermarkets as you don't get many Brits prepared to work twelve hour days in a field getting grubby.

I genuinely feel sorry for them
I agree, i to feel some sympathy for them.

However, surely the benefits culture in the UK is a separate matter, and it also desperately needs addressing and long term unemployed need to be off of benefits and made to work instead of a free home, and free money to sit of their asses all day each day.

So are you saying just because we have a benefit culture and the people in Delapre Park come her to work, work dries up and no work they should be allowed to stay or even claim benefits and housing???

Are you saying it is better to have people to come in to do these jobs rather than get the long term lazy back to work - this makes little sense and will just perpetuate the problem...

However the issue of groups like this in Delapre park also needs addressing as well

The cold reality is;
should they be allowed to stay?
Who should pay?
if they stay, what happens when word gets around - the precedent is already set

Last edited by The Zohan; 27 May 2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 27 May 2009, 01:09 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

.... there are too many problems. Back home in Slovakia, it's no good so we will stay in England until we are dead.

wtf there is nothing wrong with Slovakia, obviously these guys are just after housing in the UK and this is there public attempt to jump others who are waiting .

They should be sent back asap.
Old 27 May 2009, 01:15 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

In fact, there are loads of jobs going in there homeland, I would put money on it they only come over here because they are thick, uneducated and lazy and they see the UK as a free money state, where as in Slovakia you have too work very hard for it.
Old 27 May 2009, 01:24 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've no sympathy whatsoever. They should **** off back home or hurry up at doing a better job of dying.
Old 27 May 2009, 02:13 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torquemada
I've no sympathy whatsoever. They should **** off back home or hurry up at doing a better job of dying.
Yeah and then all our problems will be solved....hurrah!!!
Old 27 May 2009, 02:14 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Nope, not all, but that one certainly would be solved
Old 27 May 2009, 02:24 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Question

Smartar$e sarcastic comments are not really going to help, "let them die comments" either

A solution is required, not tit for tat and the thread closed - please

I also find it a little odd that someone would state that they would rather stay here to die rather than return home (in some cases to their families), maybe it looses something in translation...perhaps they should try for work in other parts of the EU instead of just the UK.

By these guys own admission they cannot get work here, they are in bad health. They are living rough, no fixed address, no jobs. At what point do they stop being migrant workers. They have little chance of employment if they are ill and smelling like a camel due to living rough.
Should the UK government step in to help them and fund them?
Should the EU do so ?
Should they be repatriated?
De we have to take in everyone from the EU that wants to live here because it is better than where they are or where born?
At what point (if any) will the UK welfare benefits systems fail due to being overloaded and more going out then being paid in???

OK Martin et al, what do you think is the answer to this situation??? i do doubt this is the only instance of this happening

Last edited by The Zohan; 27 May 2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 27 May 2009, 02:32 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Personally, I think it would be good for native Britons to learn more about the country's in the EU and the fact that there are more jobs and in the case of Slovakia better standards of living than some have here in the UK and not give sympathy because some newspaper runs a story and automatically think they are seeking asylum from some draconian war torn state.

Old 27 May 2009, 04:49 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Smartar$e sarcastic comments are not really going to help, "let them die comments" either

A solution is required, not tit for tat and the thread closed - please

I also find it a little odd that someone would state that they would rather stay here to die rather than return home (in some cases to their families), maybe it looses something in translation...perhaps they should try for work in other parts of the EU instead of just the UK.

By these guys own admission they cannot get work here, they are in bad health. They are living rough, no fixed address, no jobs. At what point do they stop being migrant workers. They have little chance of employment if they are ill and smelling like a camel due to living rough.
Should the UK government step in to help them and fund them?
Should the EU do so ?
Should they be repatriated?
De we have to take in everyone from the EU that wants to live here because it is better than where they are or where born?
At what point (if any) will the UK welfare benefits systems fail due to being overloaded and more going out then being paid in???

OK Martin et al, what do you think is the answer to this situation??? i do doubt this is the only instance of this happening
I've never really understood why anyone would want to end up in the UK if it was welfare they wanted; I mean let's face we are the sick man of Europe when it comes to benefits and health care.

I think that if people are here illegally then they should be made to leave, no argument from me on that.
Old 27 May 2009, 05:36 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I've never really understood why anyone would want to end up in the UK if it was welfare they wanted; I mean let's face we are the sick man of Europe when it comes to benefits and health care.

I think that if people are here illegally then they should be made to leave, no argument from me on that.
But you must admit that this does not add up, we are by far, distance wise a long way of and migrants travel through many EU countires such as Germany, France, Spain, etc and across the sea to get to the UK so they must come here for a reason.

Even If we are the 'sick man' of Europe then is must be easier to get the jobs, benefits, medical and housing otherwise why come here?

These are migrant workers, not illegals (apparently), they now have no work and little chance of work so should they stay and who should pay if so???
Old 27 May 2009, 07:01 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

EU caused the "problem" by allowing people to move around *****-nilly for work. So it should be a pan-EU responsibility to provide the funding and means to help EU nationals in other EU nations that fall into this situation.

Of course, that would mean the EU having to take collective responsibility and provide a solution for the stupid rules "they've" brought in that allow this situation to develop in the first place.. so that will never happen.
Old 27 May 2009, 07:22 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
These are migrant workers, not illegals (apparently), they now have no work and little chance of work so should they stay and who should pay if so???
Flip the coin. What would you think if I was camping in some nice park in Paris because I lost my job, then claimed
I have been here for five years and I have worked in Bagnolet and Vanves but there are too many problems. Back home in England, it's no good so I will stay in Paris until I am dead
You would think get a ****ing grip man, get some work else get back home, I doubt you would give me any sympathy or consider which options I would have to who ever is going to pay for my welfare.
Old 28 May 2009, 07:54 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Flip the coin. What would you think if I was camping in some nice park in Paris because I lost my job, then claimed

You would think get a ****ing grip man, get some work else get back home, I doubt you would give me any sympathy or consider which options I would have to who ever is going to pay for my welfare.
Are ypou saying they are doing it because they can and they belive that eventually they will be able to claim something from the UK?
I wonder why else you would do this???
Old 28 May 2009, 12:02 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by Prasius
EU caused the "problem" by allowing people to move around *****-nilly for work. So it should be a pan-EU responsibility to provide the funding and means to help EU nationals in other EU nations that fall into this situation.

Of course, that would mean the EU having to take collective responsibility and provide a solution for the stupid rules "they've" brought in that allow this situation to develop in the first place.. so that will never happen.

we should never have joined the EU.

we are an island with limited space, unlike france or spain or gemany we dont have loads of spare room.

And whats wrong with putting britons first, its OUR country, we should come first!

My grandad didnt fight in the war to allow waves of economic migrants to come here and be given 3 bedroom houses and full benefits while im stuck renting as i wont pay over the odds for a shoebox house in a crap area. I should have the 3 bedroom house and the migrants should be told to support themselves or **** off.

I and my family have paid taxes all our lives, but we get **** all from our own government, yet a migrant from latvia gets a house, benefits, free blockbuster rentals and all sorts of stuff i dont get, then he gets all his family and friends over here, and suddenly there are 10 people living in this 3 bed house, all trying to get benefits and a house, then they will invite their friends over and the cycle starts again!

My missus is polish and her mum and dad get leaflets explaining how to get the most out of benefits (they both work full time), WHY?

Labour have forced this upon us claiming it will help out the economy, but all it does is give migrants the idea britain will pay for them to live!

GET US OUT OF THE EU!
Old 28 May 2009, 12:04 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

People are bound to come here if they hear that they can get money from the government so easily as well as accommodation. I do feel sympathy for the people described by the OP and as was mentioned, they did come here to work.

I do feel that it devolves on those who are well off to give a helping hand to those who are destitute.

There is eventually a limit however and I feel that since the Eu commission is responsible for starting all this movement around the place in the first place, and expecting us to carry the greatest load of immigration, we always seem to be the "poor suckers" in the Eu, then I think it is about time they backed off on "losing" all those billions of euro's which disappear to no one knows where, and spent a great deal of it in reducing these problems. We have done far more than our share and it is time we stopped being taken for a ride!

Better than that would be to get out of the Eu constitution. The EEC was fine, but this is all wrong for us.

Les