Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

HTC going for broke now ?

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2009, 07:36 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HTC going for broke now ?

Launching their iPhone AND BB competition.

Compare phones - GSMArena.com

Both look rather interesting. Will the brand with the more open mind be triumphant.
Old 26 May 2009, 07:45 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Just bought myself a Touch HD. Rated at 8.5 on that site so can't wait to get it
My HTC Touch Diamond was just too small but an excellent phone.

Like the iphone but just can't bring myself to have a 2mb camera with no flash and having to use a full qwerty for texting.
Old 26 May 2009, 07:52 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I had the diamond too, I agreed with almost everything the GSM Arena said. Loved the phone and how it worked, hated the stupid back on it lol.
Was a great phone, thats from someone who hates touch phones.
The HD is highly rated by most I know with it.
Its not an iPhone no, but to many its an iPhone without the frills and gimmicks.

If touch is the future, I think HTC are leading the way.

As a Blackberry lover, im curious to see how their version will be. Win Mobile 6.1 Good start to some, poor to others. Either way, im with the BB for the long haul.
Old 26 May 2009, 09:01 PM
shaggy6
Scooby Regular

What about the Pro2 full offset qwerty.. high res full touch screen!!
Old 26 May 2009, 09:46 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

I've recently got the Touch diamond 2 and its a brilliant phone, from what i read on the net i think they listened to what people didn't like about the first and made a fair few changes. I had it next to my friends Touch HD and his was a lot bigger (phone that is). It has Win 6.1 but you can upgrade to 6.5 when available and the camera is pretty good (5mgp) still no flash though.

Aaron
Old 27 May 2009, 08:47 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fantom
Just bought myself a Touch HD. Rated at 8.5 on that site so can't wait to get it
My HTC Touch Diamond was just too small but an excellent phone.

Like the iphone but just can't bring myself to have a 2mb camera with no flash and having to use a full qwerty for texting.
Just had one ordered for me at work to replace my original HTC Touch, which I've never had any complaints about.

First application to be downloaded will be this lightsabre programme I keep hearing so much about!
Old 27 May 2009, 09:43 AM
shaggy6
Scooby Regular

whats lightsabre?
Old 27 May 2009, 10:30 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy6
whats lightsabre?
See this - someone at work has it on their HTC diamond and it's excellent!

Diamond Light Saber freeware for Windows Mobile Pocket PC.
Old 27 May 2009, 11:04 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Lightsabre was out for the N95 too.
Uses the accelerometer on the phone. Great mess about fun, but not really useful in anyway lol.
Old 27 May 2009, 11:07 AM
shaggy6
Scooby Regular

ooooo... sounds soo cool!!! i want one
Old 27 May 2009, 12:31 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

ooooo... sounds soo cool!!! i want one
What phone you got Shaggy?
Its fun to install and mess about with but the novelty wears off, til a drunken night out with mates, especially if another friend also has it lol.

Space invaders is also cool. Tipping the phone side to side to move lol.
Old 27 May 2009, 06:41 PM
shaggy6
Scooby Regular

ive got a n95.. but had a i-phone.. didnt last long lol truee about the novelty side of things though but i loveeee gadget so im after the best phone i can get and im stuck between the n97 and htc touch pro2.. decisions decisions..what have you got?
Old 27 May 2009, 10:39 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

I had a look at the Magic this morning, the demo one in the shop was full of bugs, nothing worked. I didn't get one
Old 27 May 2009, 11:24 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

ive got a n95.. but had a i-phone.. didnt last long lol truee about the novelty side of things though but i loveeee gadget so im after the best phone i can get and im stuck between the n97 and htc touch pro2.. decisions decisions..what have you got?
lol someone else that gets over gadgets too quick, same as me.
N97 looks a nice piece of kit I have to say. Not a touch fan, but the Pro gets good ratings.
Me, im a Blackberry convert now im afraid, but no going back.
Get one, you know you want to really

Flaps, thats a shame really, maybe they have launched too soon Im sure it will all work out though
Old 28 May 2009, 08:34 AM
shaggy6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
lol someone else that gets over gadgets too quick, same as me.
N97 looks a nice piece of kit I have to say. Not a touch fan, but the Pro gets good ratings.
Me, im a Blackberry convert now im afraid, but no going back.
Get one, you know you want to really
Yup and its an expensive habbit lol!
Ive never been a huge fan of touch phones eather but the with hugee hard drive and fast processor along with the qwerty keyboard it seems just up my street! however the pro2 seems really goood and the screen contrast is silly high compared to other phones!!
Ive never been able to get to grips with blackberrys.. my mate has got the storm and it is smart but its abit slow for mee.. but i cant knock it til ive tried it i suppose
Old 28 May 2009, 09:45 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

I also tried the Blackberry Storm, I really liked that phone but couldn't get on with the on screen keys, my fingers are too stubby, I kept pressing the wrong ones.

In the end I went for a 5800. It flew on the Internet which is what I wanted one for.
Old 28 May 2009, 10:30 AM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flaps
I had a look at the Magic this morning, the demo one in the shop was full of bugs, nothing worked. I didn't get one
I've had one for a few weeks now, and not had any problems with mine, although i've probably just cursed it now
Old 28 May 2009, 05:55 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Ive never been able to get to grips with blackberrys.. my mate has got the storm and it is smart but its abit slow for mee.. but i cant knock it til ive tried it i suppose
The Storm, being a touch is pointless to me. The new range are lovely. Just nice having a full keyboard, with good display, PUSH email and the always on connection. Looking forward to getting a new one with more memory.

Originally Posted by Flaps
I also tried the Blackberry Storm, I really liked that phone but couldn't get on with the on screen keys, my fingers are too stubby, I kept pressing the wrong ones.

In the end I went for a 5800. It flew on the Internet which is what I wanted one for.
I was tempted to have a punt with the 5800. Was half expecting an N series version but seems the closest one to the 5800 will be the N97 for now.
Again, the Storm to me is pointless as a BB, seeing as their angle has always been a full keyboard (except the Pearl)

Originally Posted by shaunywrx
I've had one for a few weeks now, and not had any problems with mine, although i've probably just cursed it now
lol probably. What would you say its strengths were? Is is on par with the iPhone or trying to be something different ?
Old 28 May 2009, 11:23 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

What gets my goat is the number of models that HTC have released in the space of one or two years. I feel bad for all the people who buy the latest iPhone killer only to find it's out of date in weeks.
Old 29 May 2009, 12:00 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Lol catch 22 really, they seem to keep technology moving along slowly and steady, where other brands love the next LEAP forward.
The latest HTC rarely makes the last one seem completely lame.if that makes sense.

I prefer small frequent steps myself. And phones with usable technology.
Old 29 May 2009, 10:25 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Small frequent steps cost money and leave you with an outdated phone as soon as you put it in your pocket. I'm hoping for another leap from Apple that'll keep me happy for another two years.
Old 29 May 2009, 10:27 AM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
lol probably. What would you say its strengths were? Is is on par with the iPhone or trying to be something different ?
Er, not sure really, my mate reckons it's an iphone, without being an iphone, if you understand what i mean, it is good fun playing with all the free stuff on android market though, there is some good stuff on there that works really well, i can't find the one that calculates the 0 - 60 times using gps though if anyone can remember what it's called?
Old 29 May 2009, 12:37 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Small frequent steps cost money and leave you with an outdated phone as soon as you put it in your pocket. I'm hoping for another leap from Apple that'll keep me happy for another two years.
See thats where the catch lays....
waiting 2 years for Apple to catch up or leap ahead again... While others around continue moving forwards. Or not as the case may be.

Personally I like to be able to upgrade at any time, and not just upgrade with the masses, and be on the same step as everyone else lol.

Just a personal feeling. I tend to upgrade whenever something comes out that takes my fancy anyway, so prob explains me liking small steps.

Shaun, sounds cool mate Nice to know the other companies are making a positive mark on the market.
Old 29 May 2009, 01:30 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I see where you're coming from, you're old school, update the hardware rather than the software. Unfortunately I don't have as much money as you so will stick with my free software upgrades and hardware that's right the first time. I can't wait to see what Apple comes out with this year and the resultant monthly hardware updates from other vendors.
Old 29 May 2009, 03:59 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
I see where you're coming from, you're old school, update the hardware rather than the software. Unfortunately I don't have as much money as you so will stick with my free software upgrades and hardware that's right the first time. I can't wait to see what Apple comes out with this year and the resultant monthly hardware updates from other vendors.
lol not really like that at all tbh. I use a Blackberry and am constantly upgrading the OS and apps on it.
As for the hardware being right the first time, it might be right when it comes out but we all know that processors etc are doubling in speed each week. So sometimes it pays to upgrade the hardware a bit more frequently.

Money has nothing to do with it really, I rarely pay for my phones and they are done as upgrades. So its not so much about flaunting cash and just getting the newest thing on the market.

Whatever Apple come out with this year, harware wise will be out of date within 3-6 months regardless of how good it is.

Still great devices, and I can see the appeal, but just aint my thing. I like constant progress, not "one small leap for man...one giant leap...." and all that.

I guess the summary of the point is..
If a company launch an "iPhone killer" that is on par spec wise to an iPhone, then launch another 6 months later, the later one will be better hardware spec than the iPhone. Meanwhile Apple wont launch another one too soon because they need that frenzy to make EVERYONE replace their phone that was amazing yesterday, but for some reason obselete today.

Apple have really changed the way people use mobile devices, and have kept the movement going. Hats off to them.

Last edited by Snazy; 29 May 2009 at 04:04 PM.