Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The way Britain was...

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2009, 07:16 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The way Britain was...

Don't worry, not some left wing rant by a racially challenged induvidual.

I want to talk about the UK and how it was just a few years ago... I am a young asian guy and have lived all my life in the UK so I feel very british and related to the same things white english people do (well most).

So seeing our country get raped repeatedly recently has got me thinking:

"When was the last time I stood in my garden and thought, yeah been a good year, gonna be a great one next!"

You know that feeling you get that most of the things in your life are okay and you can deal with any problems introduced by the retards with letters next their names.

I have been trying to recall that feeling and to be honest, had a hard time at first. I think for me it was about two and a half years ago, I had just got back from a trip to Spain and was on my way out to Sydney Australia.

I had also just purchased my 05 STi Type UK, driven it for 5 miles and then parked it up to get ready to fly out.

Things were generally good, we had the state funded.. I mean those terroristism blokes running around threatening to do something... we also had the lingering memory of 7/7 (I had just got off the phone with my mate Gary who had been caught up that day).

I was still generally happy, looking forward to trackdays, loving my Subaru, work was going great and things were not so bad - the general public atmosphere was okay but we still had our suspicions of Gorden 'Cornflakes' Brown.

But I can't see where it went downhill, sht just turned fcked-up one day when I woke up and it's not got better.

The problem is that we as British people have got used to living a troublesome life, accepting hand outs and not saying anything when the goverment screws us over.

I think that's our biggest problem, we are so immune to what is going on we don't know how bad it really is and trust me it's bad when I take the time to look back year by year at how the UK was (and it was one of the best places to be in Europe and the west).

Rant over, you may debate away
Old 02 May 2009, 07:20 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Trouble has been brewing for years but people were so blinded by greed and their ever rising house values, they chose to ignore the social and economic policies that have left us in the brown stuff.
Old 02 May 2009, 07:27 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

My 2 cents... Coming to the end of a final term of a failing government, that coupled with news editors turning things like a simple not very dangerous flu into something that is going to kill us all.
We are told we are skint, If were not we are made to feel bad for having a bit of cash... Just a bit gloomy.
I dont let it get me down, I have lived through much worse than the current mood of this country and it WILL get better.
Good times will come back, bad times will follow, then we will have some more good times.
If all we see and all we talk about is flu's, terrorist, bankrupt countries and government sleeve of course we will feel low.
If we make a change and talk about being healthy, tackling terrorism and getting back on our feet we will feel good.

You play the hand your dealt.
Old 02 May 2009, 07:37 PM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

I think its got more to do with getting older, seeing the "big picture" and getting more politically minded. I bet when you were a kid you stood in your garden and didn`t have a care in the world.
Old 02 May 2009, 07:46 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Nothing can be worse than the 70's or the 80's, they were crap decades. Bring on the noughties I say
Old 02 May 2009, 09:21 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

Things are not that bad although it may feel so.
No one is starving and there is no wholesale disorder and rioting.
Everything is cyclical
Old 02 May 2009, 09:21 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

I really believe that the media has more than its fair share of blame for our current situation, whilst I understand that they have a duty to report the world as it is, I also believe that they are more than capable of creating a hype on any given situation, The swine flu situation is an imediate example, they just go on and on giving out a lot of speculation on how bad it will become, same applys to muslims,speeding and bent politicians. they need bad news so you go and buy their product whilst people feel downtrodden in the process

Trending Topics

Old 02 May 2009, 10:00 PM
worley
Scooby Regular

I've opted out during this recent cycle of 'downturn' and moved to France.

Life is a lot better at the moment, the people I work with are less hastled, there is an economic depression, but it's being dealt with by Sarko and Co.

I have 50 days holiday a year (yes 50 incl. Bank Holidays). Medical care is free (with work scheme) including dentists etc for myself and the GF.

Most importantly, the media have tougher restrictions on freedom of speech and cannot spout sh*t on a regular basis.

I got sick of the lack of reward for effort in the UK, the pay differential with respect to responsibility was not high enough after tax (and tax credits). The traffic was also getting a bit too much during the daily commute.

Also, it was 23C in town today and the local filles were wearing less clothes

Nik
Old 02 May 2009, 10:10 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by finalzero
... I am a young asian guy and have lived all my life in the UK so I feel very british and related to the same things white english people do (well most).
Being the narrow minded sod that i am, i always assume every member of SN is caucasian, pasty skinned and pudgey bellied like me and by that token racism i believe your the first young asian i've ever spoken to on the net, so hello!
Old 02 May 2009, 10:25 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
i believe your the first young asian i've ever spoken to on the net, so hello!
That made me lol, I remember the first ever openly gay person I met, I came away thinking "he's just like a normal person"
Amazing how a sheltered, small town upbringing can affect your view of the world and it's people. I wasn't homophobic or racist or anything just had never met anything other than straight white people my whole life. Our school had one chinese guy, one asian guy, one black and that was it.

And on the original point, I think your view of the world and how crap it is is directly proportional to the number of responsibilities you have.
My mid/late twenties (late 90s) I was single, minted, doing well in work and the world was good.
Start to add house, car, family responsibilities, pensions, health worries and the whole shebang starts to look a bit poop in comparison where it's probably actually just the same.
Old 02 May 2009, 10:37 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

finalzero - this is where your problem started

"....I had also 'JUST' purchased my 05 STi Type UK, driven it for '5 MILES' and then 'PARKED' it up to get ready to fly out...."

get back in the car and DRIVE it.................

Last edited by albob; 02 May 2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02 May 2009, 10:40 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HankScorpio
That made me lol, I remember the first ever openly gay person I met, I came away thinking "he's just like a normal person"
Amazing how a sheltered, small town upbringing can affect your view of the world and it's people. I wasn't homophobic or racist or anything just had never met anything other than straight white people my whole life. Our school had one chinese guy, one asian guy, one black and that was it.
You think thats bad? I was brought up in a very Protestant area of Northern Ireland, It wasn't until I was 12 that i met my first real live Catholic Back in P5/6 in school me and the lads from Primary school used to cycle around the streets with army gear on looking for the enemy! NOW thats sheltered
Old 02 May 2009, 11:12 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by finalzero
I think that's our biggest problem, we are so immune to what is going on we don't know how bad it really is and trust me it's bad when I take the time to look back year by year at how the UK was (and it was one of the best places to be in Europe and the west).

Rant over, you may debate away
I think a lot of is it down to a lack of respect for others, the law and ourselves. Just look at the type of people who end up on Jeremy Kyle - they think it's ok to not work, take drugs, commit crime, sleep with multiple partners and have kids at random. And by glamourising it by actually giving these people publicity just makes other people think it's ok to do the same. It's a sad state of affairs that we are in.

Being the narrow minded sod that i am, i always assume every member of SN is caucasian, pasty skinned and pudgey bellied like me and by that token racism i believe your the first young asian i've ever spoken to on the net, so hello!
That reminded me of an incident earlier today. I was at Alton Towers, just queuing (as you do) for Rita, when a black lad started kicking off after skipping the main queue and joining the single riders queue (where you have to take any empty seat left) because he didn't want to sit next to a "Honky". When the staff told him he had to take that seat he told them they were all racists honkies.

It was even funnier when he skipped the queue for the next ride which then broke down, stranding him nowhere near the disembarcation platform But I digress, racism will always exist, IMO, educating people may help reduce it, but that's only one problem, you've still got homophobia, domestic abuse etc where one person thinks they are superior to another.

Maybe we need to reform education and teach children manners and respect. But as for getting their parents to do the same and behave the same...

But going back to your description of SN members, a few years ago "IT geek needing flash car in attempt to meet women would have been appropriate".
Old 02 May 2009, 11:18 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by worley
I've opted out during this recent cycle of 'downturn' and moved to France.

Life is a lot better at the moment, the people I work with are less hastled, there is an economic depression, but it's being dealt with by Sarko and Co.

I have 50 days holiday a year (yes 50 incl. Bank Holidays). Medical care is free (with work scheme) including dentists etc for myself and the GF.

Most importantly, the media have tougher restrictions on freedom of speech and cannot spout sh*t on a regular basis.

I got sick of the lack of reward for effort in the UK, the pay differential with respect to responsibility was not high enough after tax (and tax credits). The traffic was also getting a bit too much during the daily commute.

Also, it was 23C in town today and the local filles were wearing less clothes

Nik
Better hope ze Germans don't go for another European tour though
Old 02 May 2009, 11:24 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

You think thats bad? I was brought up in a very Protestant area of Northern Ireland, It wasn't until I was 12 that i met my first real live Catholic Back in P5/6 in school me and the lads from Primary school used to cycle around the streets with army gear on looking for the enemy! NOW thats sheltered
Serious question, what did you think of those Catholics you met? What was your prejudice against them? What had you been told about them, why were they different to you?

Really interested in effectively what can only be described as brainwashing. I heard it on the news when the policemen and soldiers got killed over there recently. Put a Catholic and a Protestant next to each other, they look the same, but both want to kill each other.... Why?

(I am probably being really naive, sorry!)
Old 02 May 2009, 11:31 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
Serious question, what did you think of those Catholics you met? What was your prejudice against them? What had you been told about them, why were they different to you?

Really interested in effectively what can only be described as brainwashing. I heard it on the news when the policemen and soldiers got killed over there recently. Put a Catholic and a Protestant next to each other, they look the same, but both want to kill each other.... Why?

I suppose you could ask a **** and a Jew the same thing.
Old 02 May 2009, 11:43 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

What did i think of those Catholics? well my one of them is my best friend. I held a grudge against Catholics when i was younger because my Dad was a soldier and I was under the impression that the IRA/Catholics wanted to hurt him because he stood up for his country. Now this was something that my parents never told me or knew that i thought but it was one of those things I picked up from people at school.

My parents send me to a integrated secondary school so all that thinking was washed away. Unfortunately going to an integrated school a double edged sword as I found out that my religion didn't really seem to matter as much as their religion did and has left a bad taste with me since over Northern Irelands education system with regards to religion.
Old 02 May 2009, 11:56 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

In less than 18 months we'll be right again , back to where we were when Nu Labor came to power

But at least Gordan will be gone
Old 03 May 2009, 09:11 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
I suppose you could ask a **** and a Jew the same thing.
Yeah, same. Just wanted to know from someone who is there now, living the prejudice now.

What did i think of those Catholics? well my one of them is my best friend. I held a grudge against Catholics when i was younger because my Dad was a soldier and I was under the impression that the IRA/Catholics wanted to hurt him because he stood up for his country. Now this was something that my parents never told me or knew that i thought but it was one of those things I picked up from people at school.

My parents send me to a integrated secondary school so all that thinking was washed away. Unfortunately going to an integrated school a double edged sword as I found out that my religion didn't really seem to matter as much as their religion did and has left a bad taste with me since over Northern Irelands education system with regards to religion.
Thanks for that Jam. I have never not liked someone because of their religion, well, I did work in London when I was 17 with some Born Again Christians and their views were a bit strange! (No sex before marriage etc... Ewww!) But didn't mean I didn't like them, they were just different. I never wanted to KILL them! lol
Old 03 May 2009, 09:39 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Jam. I have never not liked someone because of their religion, well, I did work in London when I was 17 with some Born Again Christians and their views were a bit strange! (No sex before marriage etc... Ewww!) But didn't mean I didn't like them, they were just different. I never wanted to KILL them! lol
In my opinion is really has never been about religion, if you were a Republican/Nationalist you were seen as badfolk but it just so happened that *most* Republican/Nationalists were Catholic.

Luckily enough i grew up in the late 80's/90's so all the troubles weren't as bad so I don't have any scars to carry thru the rest of my life like some and thats why i don't think there will be true piece in NI for another 20/30/40years as some peoples scars run very deep.

Last week in Tesco a bunch of kids from the local GAA were bagging customers food to raise money in Antrim, because GAA is seen as a Republican/Catholic sport some of the locals including a local Councillor complained to Tescos and the kids had to remove there GAA uniforms!
Old 03 May 2009, 11:04 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
In less than 18 months we'll be right again , back to where we were when Nu Labor came to power

But at least Gordan will be gone
The major problems we now have started in earnest from that original date. I mean the really basic problems which are endangering our culture and traditions which always used to be something to be proud of. We are motoring bit by bit into an Orwellian society and if that ever was achieved, our lives would mean nothing of worth any more unless you happened to be one of the favoured in control of the country. This lot are aiming for nothing less than total control of the people and all the systems they need to do that have been and are quietly being laid in place!

We desperately need a complete change to have a chance of escaping such a terrible fate.

Les
Old 03 May 2009, 11:41 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
Nothing can be worse than the 70's or the 80's, they were crap decades. Bring on the noughties I say
Alot of women in the 80's had crap hair styles it didn't bother me much though,i was a little boy and just wanted to snog well almost every girl..