Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tips for avoiding cramp (cycling)

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2009, 11:34 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tips for avoiding cramp (cycling)

Hi

I've been out on my MTB tonight and suffered with cramp up the back of my calves Admittedly, it's only the third time this year (and for a good while before!) that I've been out but I suffered a bit last time too. Tonight I had to stop and get off, was in agony! Tonight was my first time wearing SPDs if that makes a difference....

Any tips?

Tips welcome for off road mud guards too

Bob
Old 30 April 2009, 11:39 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Fair summary below:

BBC - Health - Ask the doctor - Cramp

Mudguard wise I'd go for a Crud catcher on the front and have never bothered personally with a back on any MTB, just get muddy
Old 30 April 2009, 11:45 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

Used to suffer bad from cramp when I was a teenager, growing up pains you might say.

our local doctor recommended tonic water as it contains quinine which seemed to get rid of them. might just have been a placeebo effect but it works for me.

If its in your calf muscles you might also want to try stretching before you start as well. Get a block of wood high enough so you can stand on it with your heels hanging over the edge and stretch downwards, ie: soul of you foot up on the wood, heels lower than the wood.
Old 01 May 2009, 12:03 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

when the arteries are clogged by fatty deposits, limiting the supply of blood to the muscles.
Erm, there may be a very fair chance of this! Hence why I'm on the bike!

The link also mentions quinine so maybe there is some truth in it Also, after reading that link, I think I may die soon!

I've previously never bothered with mudguards, in fact I mocked Sal when she bought some! Tonight though, cripes, I've never been so muddy! I looked like a mud wrestler, without the advantage of some bint to grapple unfortunately I also got soo much crap (including midgies by the 10000s!) in my eyes I couldn't see where I was going, it never used to be like that...must be these new tyres or summat!
Old 01 May 2009, 12:11 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

I also got soo much crap (including midgies by the 10000s!) in my eyes I couldn't see where I was going, it never used to be like that
Hence why a pair of glasses and the mudguards below will sort you out

Crud Race Pac Mudguard Set Only £14.99
Old 01 May 2009, 12:18 AM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Dont do any kind of exercise!
Old 01 May 2009, 12:38 AM
PAPPACLART
Scooby Newbie

If cycling is the only excercise you do, then walking more and doing more varied excercises will limit the chances of cramp. Obviously stretching before hand helps too.
Old 01 May 2009, 07:33 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do fifteen miles a day commuting and don't get any cramp except sometimes afterwards if I sit in an awkward position or stretch, funnily enough my thigh muscle did it last night when sat playing with the puppy. I am hoping that walking and running with the dog when he is bigger will give me an alternative exercise
I would say that you just need to warm up and do it more often

I am using cycraguards of eBay the seller down hill cycle a is very good
Old 01 May 2009, 07:37 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Oh and spd pedals seem to limit movement a bit, they made me ache a bit so that may be a factor; stick with them they are great, miss them if I ride without now
Old 01 May 2009, 09:15 AM
Scoobydiid
Scooby Regular

For the front I prefer this Topeak Defender Front Mudguard Only £9.99 as it turns with the wheel, you don't get so covered in crap going round, also it unclips in seconds for when it dries out.

You will probably find that you are using extra muscles with the SPD's, you're probably pulling up as well as pushing down (which is what your meant to do). Quinine may help but carrying a bottle of tonic water in your back pack isnt that practical. I tried various energy drinks, PSP, Go etc. they help but are a bit of a pain as the come as a powder and need to be measured out. I have recently discovered Nuun tablets. They come in a tube so can be carried easilly and you just drop two into your water bottle and off you go. I very rarely get any serious cramp since discovering them.
Old 01 May 2009, 09:20 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Isnt crap caused by lack of potassium (sp?) in you? I find the best way of avoiding it is stretching alot. When you get out of bed, whether you intend on exercising or not I'd still do it.
Old 01 May 2009, 09:38 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Check the SPD cleats are adjusted properly to get the ***** of the foot over the pedal axle.
Seem to remember that having the foot too far forward over the axle will stretch the calf more?

nick
Old 01 May 2009, 10:19 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Bob,

As you reach the bottom of the pedal stroke, dip down with the back of your ankle. Using cleats (SPDs) you won'y slip off the pedal and this action has two effects, it makes your pedal stroke more efficient and it stretches out the back of your calf, helping to flush out the lactic acid causing cramp.

HTH
Old 01 May 2009, 11:10 AM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

if you actually cycle, all year in all weather you certainly need mudguards on a racing bike- and certainly at least a rear on a mtb.

getting muddy doesn't hack it in the depths of january when yr out for hours on end- freezing yr nuts off---------- sorry just being pedantic. any cyclist will try and avoid mud to be honest- wait till you have problems with it freezing up the deraileur and rear block and gears failing.....anyway

spd's are horrifically difficult to set up.

you need yr seat height and position to be perfect for you to begin with.

getting the cleats- well its a question of trying them, adjusting and so on. also remember you may well have them in slightly different positons per foot.

try sitting on the edge of a table and see where yr feet naturally hang: then emulate that into the shoe position.

you shouldn't be gettign cramps etc if adjusted right.

shimano are the most common, but other companies do offer other systems which allow for more movement.
Old 01 May 2009, 10:24 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Thanks for the input chaps!

I managed to get my break near a bike shop today so I now have a pair of crud catchers! I also blagged an old front wheel which I plan to rip apart and use the hub to fasten my bike to my roof rack, hopefully that should avoid having my bike fall off and dent the roof again!

I think I'm happy with my SPDs, they both match and I'm happy with the forward and backness of them No different to where I'd put my feet on flats and I don't feel limited by them. I don't know why but last night really took it out of me, I was still knackered this morning, more than I've ever noticed before...maybe I'm coming down with pig flu!

Cheers!
Old 02 May 2009, 09:43 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Just keep riding, it'll sort itself out to an extent the fitter you get, but do warm up before hand.
Old 02 May 2009, 09:58 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yep i think your cramp could well be heavily associated with being in your spds for only the 3rd occassion this year - this really fixes your muscles to work in a certain way , and youll need to practise

your were prolly tempted to give it too much

Last edited by dpb; 02 May 2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02 May 2009, 10:02 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

spd's are horrifically difficult to set up.

Just like adjusting front derailleurs

Some find it the most onerous nightmare in the world but if you know what you are doing, tis a piece of ****
Old 02 May 2009, 12:38 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

I understood it was less bad if you'd eaten salt recently - ie bag of crisps and you'd be less likely to suffer cramp. Not sure if that's correct or not however.
Old 02 May 2009, 05:36 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by davegtt
Isnt crap caused by lack of potassium (sp?) in you? I find the best way of avoiding it is stretching alot. When you get out of bed, whether you intend on exercising or not I'd still do it.
Ummmm.... no. It's caused by the incomplete digestion of food as it passes through the gut and voided at the anus.

I have to agree thought - never crap in bed... it'd leave a bloody awful mess.

So much fun from one letter being missed in a perfectly sensible reply!

I always associated cramps with lack of fluid intake. I don't carry extra water on the 14+ mile commute each way but I always drink enough to be nigh on sloshing when I leave. On the occasions when I forget to top up I tend to get cramps.

Mind you - I've found a vast improvement in comfort since adjusting the seat post height... so I wonder if there is some mileage in that idea?
Old 02 May 2009, 08:47 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I think before doing anything complicated I'll try eating copious amounts of salt and vinegar crisps before I set off....WHAT?! It's worth a try!
Old 02 May 2009, 10:56 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by BOB.T
I think before doing anything complicated I'll try eating copious amounts of salt and vinegar crisps before I set off....WHAT?! It's worth a try!
I use my cycling as an excuse to eat all sorts of sh*t

"I'll burn it off!!"
Old 02 May 2009, 11:53 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Fat neutral
Old 02 May 2009, 11:58 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Bob,

What about "the narrow boat" for a few cures?