Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

BT Call Sign and home cordless phones

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2009, 05:48 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BT Call Sign and home cordless phones

Anyone know if BT "Call Sign" can be used with 3rd party cordless phones ?

eg. we have a pair of Siemens C475 phones and they play "melodies" when they ring. I'm guessing this isn't compatible with BT Call Sign ?
Old 01 May 2009, 09:18 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

No it won't work with phones that play melodies, or cordless for that matter, only phones that are actually plugged into the line and have a bell or ringer driven directly by the line.

Have you got caller line ID? BT provide it for free now. Pretty sure our cordless phone (Panasonic) can be set up to ring differently on different incoming numbers.
Old 01 May 2009, 09:45 AM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

thanks for the info. So BT have given us a 2nd telephone number for Call Sign. Is there anyway to tell which number BT is claling us on eg. tel number #1 or alternate number #2 ? Then perhaps I can program the phone as you say.
Old 01 May 2009, 11:22 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
thanks for the info. So BT have given us a 2nd telephone number for Call Sign. Is there anyway to tell which number BT is claling us on eg. tel number #1 or alternate number #2 ? Then perhaps I can program the phone as you say.

Nope, you can tell who is calling you from the called line ID but not which number they dialled.

Nice idea from BT but as most folk have cordless DECT phones these days I can't see how it could be made to work in a useful way.

As mentioned better idea is just to get a DECT phone that can assign different ring tones to different numbers in the phone book (like a mobile can)......

....unless you really need two numbers?

Just thought of another alternative, just plug in a regular phone to the line as well as the cordless, at least based on how that rings you'll know which number it has come in on but can still answer on the cordless!
Old 01 May 2009, 11:44 AM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Nope, you can tell who is calling you from the called line ID but not which number they dialled.

Nice idea from BT but as most folk have cordless DECT phones these days I can't see how it could be made to work in a useful way.

As mentioned better idea is just to get a DECT phone that can assign different ring tones to different numbers in the phone book (like a mobile can)......

....unless you really need two numbers?

Just thought of another alternative, just plug in a regular phone to the line as well as the cordless, at least based on how that rings you'll know which number it has come in on but can still answer on the cordless!
the wife has started a little home business / website, so I'm bloody sick of answering her calls. I'm too tight to get a 2nd line while the business is getting off the ground, so thought BT 'Call Sign' was the answer. I'll take your advice and plug in an old fashioned phone on the extension socket, although I'll still end up answering our cordless one, D'oh!