Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

More on this flu thing (sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2009, 08:07 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question More on this flu thing (sorry)

In a recent thread I mentioned that my 23 year old daughter, Tor, is set to go off travelling around S America for 2 months. She plans to leave 9th May.

Her mum and I are increasingly worried about this bloody flu thing which now seems set to take hold worldwide. Level 5 and all that.

Now Tor and her mate will be in the worst possible environment - in dirty hostels, crowded buses, planes and trains. If she does run into a junior epidemic than local hospitals are going to be overwhelmed and she could find it hard to get any appropriate treatment.

As said she is a big girl now and must make her own choice. This is the trip of a lifetime for her and she has worked so hard to save up. In September she is stuck for 2 years doing an MSc so she can't just postpone the trip for 6 months.

So what would you be advising?

David
Old 30 April 2009, 08:14 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Speaking dispassionately.
She's 23 and is old enough to weigh it up for herself. It's her decision.

Speaking as a father, if it was my child, I'd be advising her against it. If she was travelling to the US, or OZ etc, as long as she had adequate medical insurance I'd be happier. South American hospitals? Not so sure she'd get the same level of care.

It's a tough one.
Old 30 April 2009, 08:15 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I'd go..........

But I'd take a pack of Tamiflu, and at the first signs of flu symptoms start the 10 day course of treatment.

It's everywhere now, so it makes little difference where you are, as you need to take the same precautions anyway!
Old 30 April 2009, 09:01 AM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

the virus will get stronger now, in the southern hemisphere as it reaches winter, where the virus will thrive.

we should be better here as we approach summer.

I was in china as the bird flu hit............. worrying times, given what a filthy place it is- ditto south america will be--- esp doing backpacking thing and doing nothing but interacting with travellers/dirt/germs etc.

very happy to get home and to somewhere clean.

I wouldn't let her go.

are there any flights even going now ???????? might be out of yr hands
Old 30 April 2009, 09:09 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Id let her go and wouldnt worry too much. The only thing to be worried about, like you said, is the lack of good treatment facilities if something were to happen. Although, presuming she would be going with private medical care then she'll probably be seen to before any locals lol.

Where in S.America would she be? Big cities in Argentina and Brazil would still be pretty capable. some of the more northern smaller countries would be less likely to deal with it.

Honestly, its going to be pretty harmless IMO
Old 30 April 2009, 09:14 AM
Nurse Gladys
Scooby Regular

Location: Daily drive is a Scoob again - just what it should be!

As a parent you would obviuosly be concerned - but it's not like she's of to Basra.

So long as she is sensible (you can get all sorts of anti-bac hand cleaners etc) then she should go and enjoy it - especially as she has worked so hard for it.

Has she thought of going to have a chat with her GP about what precautions / medication she could take?
Old 30 April 2009, 09:15 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Id be more worried if she was off to the states tbh, thats where it started again not mexico another bluff to make the USA look good and not put people off travel to the states.
Old 30 April 2009, 09:27 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

I'd suggest that she heads to somewhere other than South America. Perhaps Australia and New Zealand who have better medical care than third rate countries like Bolivia, Peru, Patagaonia and the UK.
Old 30 April 2009, 09:29 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

If she's going with another female then get them to watch the film "Taken" before they go!
Old 30 April 2009, 09:29 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by r32
I'd suggest that she heads to somewhere other than South America. Perhaps Australia and New Zealand who have better medical care than third rate countries like Bolivia, Peru, Patagaonia and the UK.
Ho ho ho, I see what you did there
Old 30 April 2009, 10:03 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
I'd go..........

But I'd take a pack of Tamiflu, and at the first signs of flu symptoms start the 10 day course of treatment.

It's everywhere now, so it makes little difference where you are, as you need to take the same precautions anyway!
Can you get Tamiflu from the chemist or does it have to be prescribed.

Les
Old 30 April 2009, 11:11 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
Id be more worried if she was off to the states tbh, thats where it started again not mexico another bluff to make the USA look good and not put people off travel to the states.
And your evidence for this statement can be found where?
Old 30 April 2009, 11:15 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt let her go. Give her the money she spent on the holiday so she can go when all this is over. I'm sure her friends parents are also worried
Old 30 April 2009, 11:37 AM
marky1
Scooby Regular

Let her go but send her with some Tamiflu. £120 for a dose but worth it I would think.
Old 30 April 2009, 11:40 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marky1
Let her go but send her with some Tamiflu. £120 for a dose but worth it I would think.
A dose or a course?

I don't think it's possible to buy it legitimately in the UK without a prescription.
Old 30 April 2009, 11:54 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Isn't this just like Mad cow disease that we were all supposed to die from. Or Salmonella that we were all supposed to die from. Or that flesh eating disease that was reported years ago? We were all going to die from that too.

We're all going to die from Global warming.

Typical media hype. Panic about fcukall and scare half the population.

Sorry, but I never stopped eating Beef, eggs, chicken. If I had an itch, I never thought I'd caught the flesh eating disease, and if I catch a cold, It's just that, a cold. No bloody Swine fever.

Tell her to go and enjoy herself. You both need to stop worrying.
Old 30 April 2009, 12:09 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by FlightMan
And your evidence for this statement can be found where?
Hi, its on the BBC website http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/ame...as/8021547.stm
1st reported was in US and it has the most cases(more then the said infected area)
Maybe im reading around the story and the figures.
Old 30 April 2009, 02:12 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to reply in a serious way

An interesting mix of views. I can mostly tell who is a father and who isn't!!

I am going to speak to Tor's travel mate's dad over the weekend and sound him out (never met her parents btw).

Cheers, David
Old 30 April 2009, 02:19 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

If she does decide to go ahead, it might be worth taking out a life insurance policy out on her........ Just in case.

Joke.
Old 30 April 2009, 02:30 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm in Argentina right now, just about no one knows what Swine Flu is, the media hype has not taken hold just yet. Dengue Fever on the other hand is being taken seriously, large cities have been fumigated and there are warnings everywhere. Make sure she packs a good supply of Deet based spray, the natural stuff here's not so good.
Old 30 April 2009, 02:31 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Hi David,

I was talking to a friend yesterday about this as he has a 2 week holiday booked in Mexico. One of my first questions was would his travel insurance payout if he didn't go? I don't know the answer to that but I would suggest if the government are advising against travel that should have some bearing on whether an insurance company would pay out or not. Unfortunately money talks for a lot of people. If your daughter could get her money back she could go to Indian, asia, NZ or Oz. The worlds a big place.

From what I have read the chances of her catching anything are very slim but going near the area that has had the most confirmed cases/deaths must increase the chances.

Bottom line for me, is that life is extremely precious and can be taken away in an instant. I would never knowingly put myself in a position that could increase the chances of life being shortened. I would also try extremely hard to stop any of my family or loved ones from doing the same. Not all elements of life can be controlled but the flipside of the coin is many can be.

I don't envy the position your in as you obviously care for your kids very much.

Chop

FWIW - I'm not a parent.
Old 30 April 2009, 09:24 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

An upside-down view (that makes a lotta sense).

mb
Old 30 April 2009, 09:34 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As risks go for a young woman traveling, Flu is low down the agenda, if she is savvy then she will be ok, my brother had some horrendous stomach trouble in South America when travelling, so risk wise, I think it is no worse now than it was.