Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr Argos !

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2009, 01:59 PM
Bubbaroo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr Argos !

Early in january i purchased a Wharfdale 1080p lcd tv from argos.

9 weeks later it packs up

3 days of being passed back and forth between Argos and Argos insurance company they decide to send it off.

Well im still bloody waiting for it to be repared

No sense at all when i ring them up rang this morning to find out what is going on and they cant even find me on there system WTH...

Absolutly Useless
Old 28 April 2009, 02:05 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Argos does not fill me with any confidence at all........
Old 28 April 2009, 02:09 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

After only 2 months I would have expected them to give you a replacement. That length of time would imply that the product was not manufactured correctly.

Steve
Old 28 April 2009, 02:59 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

How long have you waited for repair from the date you reported it broken?
Old 28 April 2009, 03:02 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Did you buy insurance for it? If so are you aware it is pointless in this country as the SoGA (Sale of Goods Act) states that:

• If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time"

• For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

• In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform to contract (e.g. was inherently faulty) and should have reasonably lasted until this point in time
Making insurance redundant for goods bought in this Country, but should mean a very fast turn around for a repair
Old 28 April 2009, 03:02 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

I will NEVER shop at Argos again: I once bought a coffee table there. They lied it was in stock, they lied it was on it's way, they lied it would come before Christmas, it finally took 6 weeks. No apologies, nowt. I won't even go into the store. The place is a cheat: it has NO proper displays, service etc, but charges the same as anyone else. CRAP!!!!!!!!!!! A total con.
Old 28 April 2009, 06:34 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

I have always found ARGOS excellent in after care and customer service.

I would reject the TV now and demand all your money back - you have been reasonable on the face of it.

Give them 5 working days to refund or you will take Legal action. After this time raise a County Court Summons - you will get action then, I guarantee it.

Good luck - I beat Currys and got every penny back .... and they are renowned as the biggest rogues when it comes to Service and Care.
Old 28 April 2009, 08:54 PM
Bubbaroo
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the great advice.

after my telephone call this morning asking for sum kind of good will gesture and my tv back i sharply recived a call back off the repair company telling me its fixed and will be back on my doorstep thursday.

although im still not happy the fact ive forked out a mint for a television and been watching a blank on the wall for past 7 weeks!!!
Old 28 April 2009, 08:59 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Now is the time to ask for some good will compensation.
Old 28 April 2009, 09:07 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubbaroo
Thanks for all the great advice.

after my telephone call this morning asking for sum kind of good will gesture and my tv back i sharply recived a call back off the repair company telling me its fixed and will be back on my doorstep thursday.

although im still not happy the fact ive forked out a mint for a television and been watching a blank on the wall for past 7 weeks!!!
Wow you are patient. I hadn't realised the TV had been away for 7 weeks. That is shocking.

Steve
Old 28 April 2009, 09:19 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a Wharfedale tv from Arrrrrrrgos for the Bedroom,it's actually pritty good,i prefer it more than the Sony i got in the living room..
Old 28 April 2009, 09:39 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Reject the goods under the SoGA as the seller has not repaired (they should have replaced the item if a repair were to take longer than 28 days) the unit within a reasonable time.

Phone them up quoting 48b of SoGA and ask for a "remedy" instead of a repair.

48BRepair or replacement of the goods

(1)If section 48A above applies, the buyer may require the seller—

(a)to repair the goods, or

(b)to replace the goods.

(2)If the buyer requires the seller to repair or replace the goods, the seller must—

(a)repair or, as the case may be, replace the goods within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience to the buyer;

(b)bear any necessary costs incurred in doing so (including in particular the cost of any labour, materials or postage).

(3)The buyer must not require the seller to repair or, as the case may be, replace the goods if that remedy is—

(a)impossible, or

(b)disproportionate in comparison to the other of those remedies, or

(c)disproportionate in comparison to an appropriate reduction in the purchase price under paragraph (a), or rescission under paragraph (b), of section 48C(1) below.

(4)One remedy is disproportionate in comparison to the other if the one imposes costs on the seller which, in comparison to those imposed on him by the other, are unreasonable, taking into account—

(a)the value which the goods would have if they conformed to the contract of sale,

(b)the significance of the lack of conformity, and

(c)whether the other remedy could be effected without significant inconvenience to the buyer.

(5)Any question as to what is a reasonable time or significant inconvenience is to be determined by reference to—

(a)the nature of the goods, and

(b)the purpose for which the goods were acquired
Old 28 April 2009, 09:47 PM
Nurse Gladys
Scooby Regular

Location: Daily drive is a Scoob again - just what it should be!

'Friad it's not just Argos guys - it's the way this country is going (downhill rapidly!)

First problem; TomTom bought from Comet - intermitent problem with the voice. They sent it to TomTom, it came back with a new screen!

They then spent several weeks saying it was a download problem & there was nothing they could do - the only software downloaded was from TomTom themselves.

To cut a long story short the shop could neither refund or replace without a code from TomTom - I did suggest that surely Comet's suppliers shouldn't be calling the shots, but they stuck to their guns.

Six weeks and seven visits to the store I finally got a replacement. Have been communicating with thier head office but will give up (which is unlike me) as it is like

Second problem - Toshiba laptop. My daughter (who respects her things) had this less than two months when one of the keys fell off.

Returned it to Comet - they didn't want to know. Had to deal with Toshiba direct, who wanted to charge me £35 for a courier, when I had already taken the laptop back to the place of purchase!

I have now decided that ANYTHING I buy will be direct, bought online with my credit card, therefore cutting out the middleman who, to be honest, doesn't give a shyt anyway!
Old 29 April 2009, 08:58 AM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

It is the SELLER who has to deal with you, NOT the manufacturer.

Too many people bend over and let these stores do their worst .... stand up and be counted!!

Issue a Court Summons sooner rather than later and all of a sudden things start happening ...... really!!
Old 29 April 2009, 10:31 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

SSup is the man to sort firms like that out, his advice is worth following. He even wound up with two TV's in the end!

Les
Old 29 April 2009, 12:27 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

as ss says its down to the seller who deals with you as your "contract" is with them
Old 29 April 2009, 02:24 PM
Nurse Gladys
Scooby Regular

Location: Daily drive is a Scoob again - just what it should be!

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
It is the SELLER who has to deal with you, NOT the manufacturer.

Too many people bend over and let these stores do their worst .... stand up and be counted!!

Issue a Court Summons sooner rather than later and all of a sudden things start happening ...... really!!
That is the exact stand I took - Sale of Goods & Services act - and believe me I am not one who EVER backs down - but I really lost the will to live over the TomTom.

I stood my ground & they were on the verge of getting the police - I was neither rude nor aggresive, but they would not budge. As it was a Sunday & there were kids about I decided to leave of my own accord and not totally lose it by throwing a few f's into the store manager.

I'll give her her due, she was good, as this is the first time I've been beaten. However I will NEVER EVER shop with Comet again.

As for your contractwith the retailer, more & more of them are shirking their responsibility.