Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ignorant or just me

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2009, 10:21 AM
spireite
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignorant or just me

Had three youngish lads come to look at a car i have for sale last night .All threee asked me a few questions about said car ,then i took one for a test drive .On return from the test drive they started talking to each other in some Asian language which i thought was ignorant and rude .
Now i possibly bit my nose off to spite my face when i told them they were being ignorant and that i was no longer going to be selling the car .
Now my question is to the SN massive were they being ignorant/rude or is this the norm
Old 19 April 2009, 10:28 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends mate i come across this alot in my job

If they have a firm grasp of english then they are being ignorant. If they speak broken English it doesn't bother me as its probably easier, faster and more accurate to speak in there own language.

Also its against the law to sell products to people who may be considered as easy targets to be taken advantage of due to the language barrier. Works for me when i can't be ****ed talkin to the Poles
Old 19 April 2009, 10:34 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

had the same thing happen to me selling a car in Nov last year

Personally I think you are being over sensitive
Old 19 April 2009, 10:36 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As long as they have the £££££ I don't care if they speak flibba flobba.
Old 19 April 2009, 10:37 AM
spireite
BANNED

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
had the same thing happen to me selling a car in Nov last year

Personally I think you are being over sensitive
Possibly ,but if they wanted to talk between themselves they could of just said give us 5 minutes mates mate .
Old 19 April 2009, 10:51 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I'm shocked!

I can't believe a SN member, who had a car full of asians, failed to jump out and torch it before they'd managed to climb out.

Just wait until the racists on here find out what you did. They'll probably hunt you down for being a soft, ghayer.

Personally, I'd have let them jabber away, then told them there would be no discount, accepted cash and let them leave with the car.

And then report it stolen.
Old 19 April 2009, 11:06 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I think its ironic that you're the one calling them ignorant and rude IMO..
Old 19 April 2009, 11:08 AM
spireite
BANNED

Originally Posted by jonc

Explain
Old 19 April 2009, 11:08 AM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

No, you're right spireite, as far as I'm concerned it's considered quite rude to sit there and chat away in another language the way you have said.
They are in the UK, they should either have the manners to ask to take a minute to go and chat with their mates, or just speak in English, or just bugger off back to where ever they came and then chat away!

Bit bored of the walking on eggshells that goes on, just because someone may be from another country. It's not always racist to have an issue with a foreign persons actions ffs.
Old 19 April 2009, 11:09 AM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
You've been well programmed
Old 19 April 2009, 11:12 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Refused to sell a car because they were talking in a different language
Old 19 April 2009, 11:15 AM
Robbie200
Scooby Regular

Whilst I may think it's a bit rude, as long as they have the cash I wouldn't have become too worked up over it.

After all, you're trying to sell a car not make friends with everyone who comes to look at it.
Old 19 April 2009, 11:16 AM
spireite
BANNED

Originally Posted by Brun
Yes your right i should have taken Scoobywonts advice
Old 19 April 2009, 11:17 AM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

I've refused to rent rooms out to people for the very same reason but I'm sure I'll be labelled a racist for that Ok, slightly different, I know.

Nowt wrong with someone standing up for their own principles though, even if it does cost them a sale or whatever imho.
Old 19 April 2009, 11:20 AM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

this really pisses me off when you are having a conversation in english then they start talking in there own language between themselves.for fack sake this is england and they can speak english so speak it.
Old 19 April 2009, 11:21 AM
spireite
BANNED

Originally Posted by Torquemada
I've refused to rent rooms out to people for the very same reason but I'm sure I'll be labelled a racist for that Ok, slightly different, I know.

Nowt wrong with someone standing up for their own principles though, even if it does cost them a sale or whatever imho.
Agreed Torquemada
Old 19 April 2009, 11:25 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spireite

Yes your right i should have taken Scoobywonts advice
You'd be hard pressed to do that as I failed to give any.
Old 19 April 2009, 11:26 AM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

mate anyones money's as good as the next. in my job you wont get very far if you pick and choose sales.
Old 19 April 2009, 11:30 AM
spireite
BANNED

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
You'd be hard pressed to do that as I failed to give any.

Sorry i should have done what you would have done
Old 19 April 2009, 11:35 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Now i possibly bit my nose off to spite my face when i told them they were being ignorant and that i was no longer going to be selling the car .
that made me smile yes I agree very ignorant!
Old 19 April 2009, 11:43 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Basic manners in the end of the day.

If they can speak good English, then they can do so infront of you or go away and talk amongst themselves. And its your car, you can do what the hell you like with it; and that includes choosing who to sell it to.

Like when I sold my Scott flying squirrel - The guying literally had to chew my arm off for it, and had to demonstrate he was a proper knowledgable enthusiast. As I didn't want it being bought by some numpty who would seize the engine after 5 miles because he doesn't know or care how to properly adjust the oil pump.
Old 19 April 2009, 11:50 AM
graeme jones
Scooby Regular

bit of both really bit oversensitive to pull th sale but is annoying if can fully speak english as you feel they are trying to hide something from you
Old 19 April 2009, 11:59 AM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

Had three youngish lads come to look at a car i have for sale last night .All threee asked me a few questions about said car ,then i took one for a test drive .On return from the test drive they started talking to each other in some Asian language which i thought was ignorant and rude .
Now my question is to the SN massive were they being ignorant/rude or is this the norm
i've had this before as well when selling a car.i was also ask what religion i wasi told them that is not relivent and i only interest in selling the car
Old 19 April 2009, 12:13 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

How good was their English. They might have found it easier to discuss the car in their own language so that they could make a decision. It would not have bothered me particularly. Sometimes if you go to a dealer with friends it is better to discuss a deal with your friends out of hearing with the dealer.

Les
Old 19 April 2009, 12:15 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

No, you weren't being ignorant, they were if you ask me. It's just the same as people blatantly whispering in front of other people. If you want to talk amongst yourselves do it away from the 'crowd'.

They are in our country and they should make the effort to conform to our culture and speak our language.
Old 19 April 2009, 12:25 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

I work with a number of Kosovans who's English is very very good but they still drop into their own language every now and again as they don't have the right English word to hand.
If there was 3 Asians in this case then 2 of them could be fluent in English with the other not being fluent then i can perfectly understand why the would drop into their language as it would be daft not to.

Last edited by Brun; 19 April 2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 19 April 2009, 12:26 PM
spireite
BANNED

Originally Posted by Leslie
How good was their English. They might have found it easier to discuss the car in their own language so that they could make a decision. It would not have bothered me particularly. Sometimes if you go to a dealer with friends it is better to discuss a deal with your friends out of hearing with the dealer.

Les
Their English was pretty good Les . I think it would have been better if they had stood to one side and they could have spoken any language they wanted ,but it just felt that they were being ignorant speaking to me in english and then speaking between themselves in asian .
Old 19 April 2009, 12:36 PM
spireite
BANNED

I work with a number of Kosovans who's English is very very good but they still drop into their own language every now and again as they don't have the right English word to hand.
If there was 3 Asians in this case then 2 of them could be fluent in English with the other not being fluent then i can perfectly understand why the would drop into their language as it would be daft not to.

All 3 were fluent in english, it was when they spoke between themselves they didn't want to speak english .Like i say they should have stood to one side if they wanted to speak between themselves .
Old 19 April 2009, 12:38 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

If they were all fluent then ignorant it was.
Old 19 April 2009, 12:51 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

Les
How do you know they weren't planning on stealing the car from him when they got back from the test drive and that's what they were discussing in their own language?

***** to it being easier for them to talk in their own language. They're in Great Britain - not their homeland - where English is the first language. It's because of people making things easy for them that they have the run of this country. They should be making the effort to speak our language, especially in situations like that when they are in close proximity to someone who doesn't speak their language.

If myself, you and one of my friends wre having a conversation and mid way through I leant over and whispered something in my friends ear would that not bother you? I think it would. It's called manners and these 'Asians' if thats the PC term for them had none.

Quick Reply: Ignorant or just me