Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rechargeable hand-held Vacuum Cleaners

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2009, 03:02 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rechargeable hand-held Vacuum Cleaners

Any recommendations? Had a cheapo Hoover one that was sh!te: bits fell off and fully-charged battery lasted about 5 minutes, which got barely half the car clean!

Please let me know what you've got, how good it is and what it cost.
Old 16 April 2009, 03:05 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Had a few mate, even the 12v ones that plug in the ciggy socket, never been happy with any of them
Old 16 April 2009, 03:22 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Got a Dyson one...

Battery lasts just 2 minutes!!! fekin useless
Old 16 April 2009, 04:26 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Funnily enough, I was going to post up a similar thread. We're looking for a vacuum for use on the boat, so it needs to be hand-held, or very small, and rechargeable.
I'm in the process of fitting a new compass, and have been attacking the existing hole in the fiberglass with the dremel and it's made a bit of a mess, and I don't want to inhale the dust, nor expose the hound to it either.
Old 16 April 2009, 04:53 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I'm guessing most of these use cheepo quality 1200 mAh Nicd sub-C size cells in the battery packs. Which basically, are shyte. Thus the short running times.

Decent sub-C Nicd cells these days are in excess of 2100mAH which is almost 80% greater in capacity ( i.e almost 80% longer running time). Yet few manufacturers of cordless devices use them

If one is a dab handy at soldering up battery packs (anyone heavily into electric RC vehicles) its a simple case of disassembling the battery pack and soldering up a new battery pack using higher capacity cells.

I did this on our old dustbuster

Just ensure to recalculate the charge times so the larger capcity cells get enuogh charge (25 hours for the dustbuster ).

If one wants to go even better they can swap for NiMH cells, but ideally that should be done on devices already using NiMH cell as the charger will have protection to prevent overcharging (nicd chargers rarely have this - bear that in mind if its left on 24/7 ), although if one is into electronics, one can knock up a charging cut-off circuit and modify the charger.

Sad, I know. But the old dustbuster wasn't going to be consigned to the bin that readily

Last edited by ALi-B; 16 April 2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 16 April 2009, 05:12 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Where did the post about the Ryobi go? It's a brand the local Home Depot carries, so I'll pop down and have a look. Thing is cheaper here than in the UK, which is a nice change too! They also have a small canister one, which I think I'll investigate.

Trending Topics

Old 17 April 2009, 03:15 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

We have had a Black and Decker Dustbuster for quite some time now. It does the job and I think you cant expect the batteries to last all that long. Its good for a quick clear up of crumbs etc.

The battery is not as good as it was of course and I may well follow Ali-B's advice soon.

Les