Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any Pilots on here?

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2009, 10:41 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Pilots on here?

I am just on the verge of starting my PPL, I have been meaning to do it for years. I was excepted into Oxford aviation but I didnt take the opportunity and I have been living with the regret ever since.

I have a couple of questions that I am hoping a pilot can answer, Albeit a Pro or hobby pilot.
Is it worth joining a flying club? I am looking at Blackbushe at the moment, anyone know if its good?
How does private plane hire work? What is the typical cost of hiring a plane to fly myself to Newquay for example? Do you pay for time in the air or all the time the plane is away from its homebase?

Any tips that will help me along the way?

Last of all, Anyone live around Surrey that can take me for a spin in a cessna or similar?

Thanks
Tim.
Old 13 April 2009, 10:50 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

I'm currently doing my PPL, congrats on getting back into it

At my flying school I have to join the club to have the insurance coverage. Hiring a plane - usually you only pay for the time it is in the air, the trouble is most schools can't afford to have the aircraft away for a whole weekend as they will be losing money. Your best bet would be to join a group & have a share in an aircraft. There are other ways of hiring without the big outlay of a share. Try looking on www.PPRUNE.org in their Private Flying forum for more info.

good luck
Old 13 April 2009, 11:01 AM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

I was bought a first lesson (taster flight) for a birthday. I did it at White Waltham. It was all a bit strange and for about 2 seconds after take off I thought "Oh dear, I don't like this", but actually it was OK.

The pilot (female) said I was actually reasonably good. Probably down to hours spent on Microsoft Flight SImulator when I was young. She also let me fly all but the last few hundred yards of the landing which she said she normally wouldn't do. I don't blame her for taking the contols back eventually though as the plane was all over the place. I thought I was holding it steady but it was moving alot.

I had a look through the PPL lesson plans. The one that scared me was that lesson 9 (I think) was First Solo Flight. Sod that. To be fair, lesson 8 was constant take off and landings but that would be one hell of a lesson.

I decided not to take it any further at the time but I might take it up again at some point.
Old 13 April 2009, 11:09 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

My first solo was one of the most memorable experiences in my life, an awesome day indeed (scary at the same time too )
Old 13 April 2009, 11:38 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

I've always wanted to (still do) do my PPL however its something I cant afford so I took up flying glider planes.

I found gliders cheaper and 'maybe' a bit more fun than powered planes becuase its the pilots skill that keeps it up in the air instead of an engine.

Membership is £380
Flying fee per month is £24
Then you pay for every launch at £7.75

One day I'll do my PPL or NPPL. get my flight experience in a glider then get a PPL or NPPL quicker and cheaper
Old 13 April 2009, 11:50 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I flew but was paid for it for a long time. Private flying is a very expensive game,I presume you must be well heeled to consider it.

I would have thought that being in a syndicate and owning an aircraft is the best way. The aircraft can be leased to a flying club who will service it and get its necessary certificates in return for being able to use it when you are not.

Pity you did not accept the offer from Oxford Aviation of course.

Good luck anyway

Les
Old 13 April 2009, 01:47 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Flying is never "cheap" but then again for the fun you get out of it, it is not that expensive!

The only thing is, once you start dont lose the momentum, otherwise every time you fly you will "starting over again". Have heard that from PPL folks that dont fly too much.

Alternatively once you have your PPL, if you want to get some more experience and have some great flying weather, hiring a plane in the south of Spain or Portugal is not a bad idea. Think it still is quite cheaper than the UK.

Trending Topics

Old 13 April 2009, 03:34 PM
bugsti
Scooby Regular

I have a PPL and about 300 hours and have a share in a group.

Usually, you only pay the flying time - not the time the plane is away.

In a group you will also pay a monthly charge for fixed costs (hangar, insurance etc)

However, if you fly more than 20 hours/year, a group probably makes economic sense.