Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Foundation depths for buildings/extensions

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2009, 09:10 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foundation depths for buildings/extensions

Thinking of building a second storey extension on top of a single storey one I had done about two years ago.
I'm trying to figure out whether the foundations would have been made strong enough.
Could anybody tell me the difference between single and double height foundations

Thanks
Old 12 April 2009, 09:43 AM
Dasco
Scooby Regular

Before you even worry about the foundations check that your local planning office will let you go up two storeys.
You will proberly find the foundation are ok but you will need to check with a surveyor.
if they are not ok you can have them underpinned but this is not cheap as its lots of work, basicly a 2metre trench is dug down along side and under the existing foundation to the required new depth of foundation, its then has shuttering fitted and concreted once this has gone off the trench is filled in and another started adjacent and same done again this is done until the whole of the foundation is the correct depth. its lots of work and can be expensive but its the only way in the foundation is not deep enough.
But check with the local planning office first. You can ask them to come out and have a look at what you want to do they wont charge you for this. They may say straight off no theres no way we would give permission for that.
Hope this helps you out.
Old 12 April 2009, 09:51 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

deep, can you not ask the builder who did the extension before what the foundation depth is?

wouldn't it be easier to move? lol
Old 12 April 2009, 10:05 AM
scooby stew
Scooby Regular

morning deep the footins are the same for a second storey as single storey 1 meter deep 450 or 600 wide as long as u went this deep u will be ok the building inspector might ask for trial hole to be dug at the side of the exsting footing to see how deep thay are hope this info was some help to u from scooby stew any probs at s_g_construction@hotmail.com
Old 12 April 2009, 10:36 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, couldn't get in touch with my builder, and have a bee in my bonnet about this right now, LOL
I think my foundations are even deeper than the std 1m as the local council spotted some tree close by and made us dig another ?0.5m?
The bit I'm confused about is the width of 450 vs 600mm, is one for double and single height or does it relate to something else?

As for PP, I don't think it will be a problem as its at the rear and tbh in my experience the council has very limited reasons upon which it can decline PP
Old 12 April 2009, 11:12 AM
scooby stew
Scooby Regular

hi deep 450 or 600 wide is dependent on how wide the building inspector wants u to go there is no diffrance between 1 storey or 2 storey
Old 12 April 2009, 11:32 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by scooby stew
hi deep 450 or 600 wide is dependent on how wide the building inspector wants u to go there is no diffrance between 1 storey or 2 storey
Thanks Stew, that's what I needed to know. I should be fine then.

Many thanks for your help and happy easter
Old 12 April 2009, 12:27 PM
Dasco
Scooby Regular

It dont matter if its at the rear they can still refuse or stipulate the size your allowed you may find the 2nd floor needs to be in from your boundary a certain distance
a guy down road from me had a ground floor extension right across his property but on the first floor be has to be 3 metres away one side and a metre the other this was to do with blocking his neighbours light
you would be better off getting planning to look first before you start paying out for drawings
Old 12 April 2009, 01:57 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dasco
It dont matter if its at the rear they can still refuse or stipulate the size your allowed you may find the 2nd floor needs to be in from your boundary a certain distance
a guy down road from me had a ground floor extension right across his property but on the first floor be has to be 3 metres away one side and a metre the other this was to do with blocking his neighbours light
you would be better off getting planning to look first before you start paying out for drawings
Thanks I take your point and will get some advice first. The extension is at least 3 metres away from boundary on both sides, so I'm hoping I'll be ok but will check first

Cheers
Old 12 April 2009, 04:35 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Actually its 2.5m on one side and 4 metres on the other, wonder if I'll get away with it?
Its all very confusing because I've heard people say you can build right up to your boundaries if you want.
I've also had an architect tell me in the past that blocking a neighbours light in itself is not a reason that can be used to refuse planning permission