New Parents: Video Baby monitors

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2009, 09:47 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New Parents: Video Baby monitors

Just after some advice on these.
Looking to purchase, but want to know if any one has any advice.
Got to obviously be wireless, and a small handheld monitor to carry about.
Old 30 March 2009, 10:00 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why do u need the video ones ? the audio ones are just as good. i found that when my two where babies they where always in the same place i put them
Old 30 March 2009, 10:06 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phil_wrx
why do u need the video ones ? the audio ones are just as good. i found that when my two where babies they where always in the same place i put them
As above,the video one's are a newage gimmick
Old 30 March 2009, 10:17 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Would just prefer a video one. Was actually going to say not interested in people saying about the audio only ones being just as good, but didn't

Soooooooo......any advice on the video ones?
Old 30 March 2009, 10:17 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

We havea wireless one with the motion sensor fitted as well, really good and bleeps every 7 seconds to let you know the baby is breathing, my missus insisted on it and its been a god send for peace of mind and you dont really notice the beep( apart from subconsiensly)(sp).
If your baby does not breathe in 25 sec a alarm goes off, only happened once and that was when he was bigger and had crawled nearly out the cot,lol

I was like shi* off a shovel out ma bed ,lol

Mac
Old 30 March 2009, 10:28 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I prefer the IR night vision ones with automatic full nappy detection
Old 30 March 2009, 10:42 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Watch out as our Government can view the new video monitors to ensure our babies aren't becoming Jehad terrorists!

Just get a decent audio monitor!
Old 30 March 2009, 10:46 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluenosewrx
We havea wireless one with the motion sensor fitted as well, really good and bleeps every 7 seconds to let you know the baby is breathing, my missus insisted on it and its been a god send for peace of mind and you dont really notice the beep( apart from subconsiensly)(sp).
If your baby does not breathe in 25 sec a alarm goes off, only happened once and that was when he was bigger and had crawled nearly out the cot,lol

Mac

Is that an Angelcare one? **** that, you'd never get any sleep. Be restless all night. I did consider a wireless video one originally, then thought I'd be up & down the stairs like a ****** knickers when I could not see the nipper moving, so stuck to the top 'Tomy' sound only model. Does the job a treat.

Proby

Last edited by Proby521; 30 March 2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 31 March 2009, 09:18 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Just don't bother at all. The little ******* make themselves heard easily enough if there is a problem. Also wait a least five minutes before getting up in the hope that they get over it and go back to sleep
Old 31 March 2009, 09:21 AM
LC Geezer
Scooby Regular

We had one of those breath monitor ones. It was always going off and after a while, we became complacent about it. Until one night we stumbled our way into her room to cancel the alarm and found she had stopped breathing and was going very blue. That thing saved her life - I have no doubt.

As for video monitors, no way. You'll never get a moments peace as you'll be constantly watching every little movement.
Old 31 March 2009, 09:43 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

We use a basic Tomy audio set - about £40 and very good. I think you can be too paranoid with a baby and end up a nervous wreck.

Having said that, it's great to have got past 6 months - risk of cot death then drops to pretty much zero.
Old 31 March 2009, 10:14 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

I don't know about the video part, just make sure it has the motion sensor, this provided me with massive peace of mind!
Old 31 March 2009, 10:40 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Biggest waste of money in the world, used ours about twice before I insisted that it went back. Don't bother even buying an audio monitor - it will just keep you awake at night listening to it. If your little ones are waking up at night and need your attention then they will certainly let you know!

Save your money and buy something useful!
Old 31 March 2009, 10:55 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

That said if it will work at my local which is about 100 yards down the road from the house then I probably would consider one
Old 31 March 2009, 11:05 AM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

The way it is now, I have to "justify" any kind of gadget purchase to the other half. So a beby monitor, for me has its standard use, but then doubles up as a portable-ish CCTV device.
So I appreciate the input, but AGAIN, I DO want a video monitor. So lets just keep it to that.
Old 31 March 2009, 02:08 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluenosewrx

Mac
We have the Tomee Tippee Apnoea monitor, with ours you can turn the breathing beep right down and still hear very clearly if it alarms.

Tommee Tippee SureSound Ultimate Monitor : Read reviews and compare prices at Ciao.co.uk

Some may say its over paranoid but SIDS can occur up to a year old.
Gives extra piece of mind when sleeping.
Old 31 March 2009, 04:10 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Audio with temperature monitor for the little mites would be a good idea, they have a tendency to convulse from time to time
Webcamming them is a little ott imo.
Old 31 March 2009, 06:30 PM
Mikee
Scooby Regular

We just bought a BT one from John Lewis, does audio and temp as well as some other things. Wouldn't usually have replied to this thread but it's on offer at £58ish so a good buy really!
Old 31 March 2009, 07:52 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Biggest waste of money in the world, used ours about twice before I insisted that it went back. Don't bother even buying an audio monitor - it will just keep you awake at night listening to it. If your little ones are waking up at night and need your attention then they will certainly let you know!

Save your money and buy something useful!
When ours is asleep early in the evening, he's far away enough that we can't gear him even if he really cries - so we have ours for that reason. At night, he's only over the corridor so easy to hear - but not so much that we are awake all night.

He's recently started sleeping through - pure luxury but we always rush to see if he's okay in the morning!
Old 31 March 2009, 08:52 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Off the main topic a bit here, ours has slept all the way through from 3 months old, all down to that mad bird Nanny book, stuck to all the feeding stuff and he has slept in his own room as well since week 2, its pure bliss from 7 at night till 7 in the morning. well worth the fiver for the book IMO.

The moitor was the angel care one and i would not be without it now, you dont hear the beep after a while and can turn it down etc and it shows temp etc.

That reminds me i need to sell that grobag temp monitor, any takers??
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...offeeuk8940-21
Looking for £10

Mac

Last edited by bluenosewrx; 31 March 2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 31 March 2009, 09:16 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
When ours is asleep early in the evening, he's far away enough that we can't gear him even if he really cries - so we have ours for that reason. At night, he's only over the corridor so easy to hear - but not so much that we are awake all night.

He's recently started sleeping through - pure luxury but we always rush to see if he's okay in the morning!

Matt,

I'm just giving my opinion based on my experience. Whatever works for you (and the OP) has got to be the way you work it. Our two both went in their own room on day 1 of having them at home - we slept them in the same cot together for the first couple of weeks as they were so small and used to being together. 13 months on and I really don't know where the last year has gone - just one big blur.

Great when they start sleeping through isn't it? No more of those night time bottles - just the fun of weaning to look forwards to

Say what you like but the Gina Ford books do work as long as you tailor the advice to your lifestyle.
Old 31 March 2009, 09:24 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Just don't bother at all. The little ******* make themselves heard easily enough if there is a problem. Also wait a least five minutes before getting up in the hope that they get over it and go back to sleep
Can I totally second that approach!

We bought a baby Wi Fi, but it was on e-bay after a few weeks. Not needed - unless you live in a mansion maybe.

D
PS we wash all sheet in safe non-bio They WILL all make you paranoid if there is a penny in it...
Old 31 March 2009, 09:35 PM
Volks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
Can I totally second that approach!
Thirded!

Just don`t bother with one at all. It just turns females paranoid!