Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Inquest into the Iraqi War ...

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2009, 02:32 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Inquest into the Iraqi War ...

The Government has just announced that there will be an inquest into the events leading up to the Iraqi War.
Old 25 March 2009, 03:16 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Why have an enquiry costing millions.

Blair lied. End of!

Chip
Old 25 March 2009, 07:54 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

This topic would have rocked SN a few years ago ...... seems we are all now apathetic about it all?
Old 25 March 2009, 08:16 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
This topic would have rocked SN a few years ago ...... seems we are all now apathetic about it all?
Well let see, if the enquiry returns the same conclusions as every other enquiry into the war then people will say it's a fix and (already said 'Blair lied')
If it turns out he lied then people will say 'told you so Blair lied' - it's rather like the old test for witch-craft. People don't care about the truth or the issues that were involved, they are far too busy being all puffed up about an issue and decisions way beyond their comprehension, so it's is easier to just simplify all whole thing.

I don't necessarily believe the 'lied' arguement, I do believe though that way too much emphasis was put on certain shakey bits of intel
Old 25 March 2009, 08:19 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005

I don't necessarily believe the 'lied' arguement, I do believe though that way too much emphasis was put on certain shakey bits of intel
So.............did he "lie", "lie by ommision", "lie by exaggeration" or "lie by spin"?

PS: Martin, to help you here, if someone doesn't tell the truth, he's.....................?
Yes, lieing

Last edited by tanyatriangles; 25 March 2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 25 March 2009, 08:27 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles
So.............did he "lie", "lie by ommision", "lie by exaggeration" or "lie by spin"?

PS: Martin, to help you here, if someone doesn't tell the truth, he's.....................?
Yes, lieing

None of the examples you state are actually lying btw, but don't let that get you off your high horse
Old 25 March 2009, 08:58 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The s.o.b. is long gone , along with Godwin and Hoogstraton
Old 25 March 2009, 09:05 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Tony Blair has the ultimate cope out defence, and he has already used it in subsequent interviews regarding Iraq/wmd

wait for it ----- he “believed” as did his fellow idiot Bush

and anyway he maintains he will be judged by god – abdicating all responsibility to the “here and now” what a fvcking dangerous fundamentalist fraud

so to his warped sense of truth/untruth he can maintain the façade that he did not lie

belief is easy, it needs no external validation it needs no basis on fact or evidence its a intellectual crutch for a brain that cant cope with real world

I believe the moon is made of cheese, and if I believe it no one can alter that view -- ahmen

I am/was a natural labour supporter, who witnessed the desolation that was Thatcher’s eighties (admittedly after a pretty crap 70’s) but I will never vote for labour again unless they bring TB to trial

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 25 March 2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 25 March 2009, 09:12 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
Tony Blair has the ultimate cope out defence, and he has already used it in subsequent interviews regarding Iraq/wmd

wait for it ----- he “believed” as did his fellow idiot Bush

and anyway he maintains he will be judged by god – abdicating all responsibility to the “here and now” what a fvcking dangerous fundamentalist fraud

so to his warped sense of truth/untruth he can maintain the façade that he did not lie

belief is easy, it needs no external validation it needs no basis on fact or evidence its a intellectual crutch for a brain that cant cope with real world

I believe the moon is made of cheese, and if I believe it no one can alter that view -- ahmen

I am/was a natural labour supporter, who witnessed the desolation that was Thatcher’s eighties (admittedly after a pretty crap 70’s) but I will never vote for labour again unless they bring TB to trial
Therefore not much point in having an enquiry then for you is there? You have all the facts, I don't know why they don't just interview you and be done with it
Old 25 March 2009, 09:22 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

bring it on
Old 25 March 2009, 09:43 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

David Kelly would have made an interesting statement if they hadn't have had him murdered.

Chip
Old 25 March 2009, 10:02 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chip
David Kelly would have made an interesting statement if they hadn't have had him murdered.

Chip
Speaking of whom, I think we can see why any public enquiry would be a complete waste of money.
Old 26 March 2009, 12:06 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip

Chip
LOL - you really believe that?

It kind of makes any enquiry pointless doesn't it. You simply wont accept the results (unless they confirm your gut instinct of course)?
Old 26 March 2009, 07:06 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It kind of makes any enquiry pointless doesn't it. You simply wont accept the results (unless they confirm your gut instinct of course)?
I am not sure why that comment was made.
Perhaps the shameful and complete whitewash of the Hutton enquiry has aroused the posters suspicions.
It was so farcical, that as a taxpayer, I feel embarrased of my role in it.
That was surely Blair "in it's finest hour".
Old 26 March 2009, 10:09 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

We don't really need an enquiry into this as everyone now knows that both the UK and US lied to get public support for the war. Unless there's any new information - for example, WMDs being found, guarded by a herd of unicorns - there really is little point in performing another whitewash.
Old 26 March 2009, 10:50 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I don't really know but It's something that should be considered and not conveniently forgotten about.

Chip
Old 26 March 2009, 11:07 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well let see, if the enquiry returns the same conclusions as every other enquiry into the war then people will say it's a fix and (already said 'Blair lied')
If it turns out he lied then people will say 'told you so Blair lied' - it's rather like the old test for witch-craft. People don't care about the truth or the issues that were involved, they are far too busy being all puffed up about an issue and decisions way beyond their comprehension, so it's is easier to just simplify all whole thing.

The intelligence was fixed, the JIC had already said that the evidence of WMD was not to be relied on. We were told positively that Iraq could attack British property within 15 minutes by Billy! The Dossier was written by his sidekick and largely plagiarised from a thesis belonging to a student from some years before. It was reported that the No 10 office actually wrote the enquiry report! The Attorney General, Billy's ex university mate, put his own interpretation on the resolution to say that it was legal, as they wanted to hear of course!

Billy Liar was peeing himself to attack Iraq against all who were against it and he managed to con Parliament even though it was pretty obvious from the enormous demonstrations that the Country did not want to do it. He was in the president's pocket as we all saw!

How does that stack up Martin? Why did he send our soldiers into what he said was a WMD zone with insufficient protection against chemical or biological attack? What do you think about the crippling attacks made on the Doctor and causing his death, who knew that there were no WMD since he had been at the top of the team looking for them?

Your attempted defence on his behalf is way too thin!

Les
Old 26 March 2009, 11:52 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
The intelligence was fixed, the JIC had already said that the evidence of WMD was not to be relied on. We were told positively that Iraq could attack British property within 15 minutes by Billy! The Dossier was written by his sidekick and largely plagiarised from a thesis belonging to a student from some years before. It was reported that the No 10 office actually wrote the enquiry report! The Attorney General, Billy's ex university mate, put his own interpretation on the resolution to say that it was legal, as they wanted to hear of course!

Billy Liar was peeing himself to attack Iraq against all who were against it and he managed to con Parliament even though it was pretty obvious from the enormous demonstrations that the Country did not want to do it. He was in the president's pocket as we all saw!

How does that stack up Martin? Why did he send our soldiers into what he said was a WMD zone with insufficient protection against chemical or biological attack? What do you think about the crippling attacks made on the Doctor and causing his death, who knew that there were no WMD since he had been at the top of the team looking for them?

Your attempted defence on his behalf is way too thin!

Les
Les pretty much everything you have typed here is your view not fact, and since your supposition isn't necessarily 100% accurate, let's have an enquiry and get to the bottom of what REALLY happened.

I want to know the truth, don't you?
Old 26 March 2009, 11:58 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

The 'government' are going to hold an equiry - lol what a farce.

The 'government' should be in the dock for war crimes.
Old 26 March 2009, 12:06 PM
richieh
Scooby Regular

Les pretty much everything you have typed here is your view not fact, and since your supposition isn't necessarily 100% accurate, let's have an enquiry and get to the bottom of what REALLY happened.

do you trust a government enquiry to come up with the truth then?
Or as usual in line with the Dr's death enquiry will they waste a shedfull of our cash to 'find' what they wanted us to believe anyway.(read the notes from the attending paramedics to his death site if you can still find them on any public record-then say you'll trust the official findings if you still can)
cheers richie
Old 26 March 2009, 12:11 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richieh
do you trust a government enquiry to come up with the truth then?
Or as usual in line with the Dr's death enquiry will they waste a shedfull of our cash to 'find' what they wanted us to believe anyway.(read the notes from the attending paramedics to his death site if you can still find them on any public record-then say you'll trust the official findings if you still can)
cheers richie
Well thats a fairly pointless perspective, if you are not going to believe the finding of an independent enquiry unless it supports your particular view, then you are right there is no point in an enquiry. What you want is a kangeroo court
Old 26 March 2009, 12:14 PM
richieh
Scooby Regular

Out of interest which parts of Les' post is supposition?
As far as I see it the majority of it is things we were told by T B lair-ie 15 mins to attack-presence of Wmd -troops not equipped for Wmd etc
cheers richie
Old 26 March 2009, 12:18 PM
richieh
Scooby Regular

Well thats a fairly pointless perspective, if you are not going to believe the finding of an independent enquiry unless it supports your particular view, then you are right there is no point in an enquiry. What you want is a kangeroo court
No what i want is the truth but its not going to happen
BTW dissmissing anyones opinion who doest agree with you is the mark of a true politician-well done!
Dont work in a govt quango perchance do you?
Feel free to answer my question tho or use FACT not put downs to prove me wrong if you can
cheers richie

Last edited by richieh; 26 March 2009 at 12:20 PM. Reason: missed t off not-damn working nights
Old 26 March 2009, 12:38 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

No what i want is the truth but its not going to happen
BTW dissmissing anyones opinion who doest agree with you is the mark of a true politician-well done!
Dont work in a govt quango perchance do you?
Feel free to answer my question tho or use FACT not put downs to prove me wrong if you can
cheers richie
Most of your response is just a smokescreen

I accept your view as it is, I just don't understand how you will ever be satisfied on this issue if you wont accept the findings of an enquiry
Old 26 March 2009, 12:46 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes Martin, in company with a very large number of people, I would love to know the truth-for once!

Les
Old 26 March 2009, 12:47 PM
richieh
Scooby Regular

Most of your response is just a smokescreen

I accept your view as it is, I just don't understand how you will ever be satisfied on this issue if you wont accept the findings of an enquiry
most of your posts are a smokescreen.
i repect your inability to answer questions and to divert the issue into a very weak attack on what you think i will be happy with, but once again feel free to answer my question or use FACTS to prove me wrong rather than try to belittle me with management spin because you are not that good at it.
thanks for trying tho
cheers richie
Old 26 March 2009, 02:03 PM
richieh
Scooby Regular

C'mon Martin surely you must have come up with another meaningless soundbyte/putdown by now
If it helps you could always look here

cheers richie

Last edited by richieh; 26 March 2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: sodding nights really affecting thought process
Old 26 March 2009, 05:14 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

most of your posts are a smokescreen.
i repect your inability to answer questions and to divert the issue into a very weak attack on what you think i will be happy with, but once again feel free to answer my question or use FACTS to prove me wrong rather than try to belittle me with management spin because you are not that good at it.
thanks for trying tho
cheers richie
This is just ridiculous, I want an enquiry and want the truth outed, and get accused of using a smokescreen

I dont need to produce any 'facts to prove you wrong' thats what a fecking enquiry is for...oh hang on a minute you've already dismissed that. How am I supposed to answer this? I'm reasonably lost as my logic based arguements just don't work against your reasoning.
Old 26 March 2009, 05:49 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I would like to see a full enquiry but I think we know that it will be limited in its access and scope enough to stop any real answers being found. THe very notion of Saddam as a threat to the UK was as ridiculous now as it was then, the evidence for WMD was speculative and manufactured and the motives for the invasion can all be traced to economics. The issue of 1441 being violated will be used as a smoke screen to hide the fact that 1441 did not have invasion in its remitt and the fact that the UN did not support invasion will be ignored. An inquiry will not deal with the real issues simply because it cannot afford to so I cannot see the point unles it is truely independant and has complete access to all the available people and information.

Quick Reply: Inquest into the Iraqi War ...