Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Who knows about property boundaries??

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2009, 08:58 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Who knows about property boundaries??

Had a few things fall off my shelfs in the garage (seprate biulding on the corner of the land), nothing broken, but odd that they should fall of suddenly.

Anyway, im in my garage yesterday and BANG BANG WTF...

He's only throwing a solid rubber dogs ball at full pelt against my wall. Alledgedly a favoured dog game.

I was actually polite and asked, that he keep the force down a bit as it was obviously quite hard and I got a 'sorry' and later I heard a few mutters form him and his wife.

This afternoon im out by the car and BANG BANG he's back with a vengance. (I dont think I heared the dog)

So, I asked (politely) if he'd mind and the attitute starts that its his boundary and theres bugger all I can do about it. I should also move things off my shelfs or make them more secure.

Conversations ensued and he got the hump, as Im not the kind of person easily intimidated.

Anyway, before I decide on best course of action, I wonder what the law was regarding ownership and attitude towards what is effectively, my outbuiding (although not that far from my house).

I would dearly love to break his hands, but thought Id see how the law lies first.
Old 22 March 2009, 09:24 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the building is your property, then I would have expected that you are within your rights to ask that he doesn't damage it, boundary or not. Although you never know with our laws.

I've got a similar problem with the fence at the bottom of the Garden. Put a brand new one up, and the neighbour and his 8 year old bash the hell out of it every weekend with a football. Then dad kicks the ball over and sticks his ugly mug over the top to ask for it back.

We’ve also had a polite discussion but don’t expect it will stop.
Old 22 March 2009, 11:06 PM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Is the garage single skin brick walls approx 4" thick? If so, you need to secure the shelf with 6" nails and 6" screws. Couple of hundred should do it, and don't worry about the sharp pointed ends sticking out the other side
Old 22 March 2009, 11:27 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I doubt quoting some 1959 statute law would make this individual stop throwing his toys against your wall, I reccommend that you consider telling him to "**** off" and choose another "wall" to play doggy on...... or if he doesn't he'll be falling out with you, and that's something he really doesn't want to do!
Old 22 March 2009, 11:51 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

If you don't have the presence to make it clear you're not joking then paint your wall with the anti-climbing stuff or similar. The ball will be nice and tacky on the return journey.
Old 23 March 2009, 09:00 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hol,
From what I remember about your garage, its side wall is also the boundary with the neighbour? He's unlikley to own the garage sidewall while you own the rest of the garage - imaging the legal hassle if you wanted to rebuild it - so I bet you own the LHS boundary.
Your deeds will tell you which boundary you own. They can be downloaded from here Property Search - Land Registry for £3.

Nick
Old 23 March 2009, 01:06 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

I would go out with your camcorder and film him when he is throwing the ball. Then tell him you are going to do him for criminal damage and compensation for the damage caused to the items you had on the shelf.
It wouldnt be acceptable for him to do it to your house wall so he shouldnt do it to your garage wall.
Old 30 March 2009, 09:58 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

he does not own any part of your building. your registered title is unlikely to show which boundaries you own - if there is a fence there on any of your boundaries, whoever put it there owns it. when you moved in the situation may have been different, but it's the materials on the boundary which people own and not the "boundary" itself - a "boundary" if not physically marked does not physically exist and cannot therefore be anyone's property

i can see your frustration hol. if you can access the wall, then i would paint it with anti climb paint if i were you - that stuff will remain sticky for years. also, if i were you, and i used anti climb paint, i would put up a visible sign warning that the paint were there, together with any comments on toxicity which may be on the paint manufacturer's label...just in case

Originally Posted by Butty
Hol,
From what I remember about your garage, its side wall is also the boundary with the neighbour? He's unlikley to own the garage sidewall while you own the rest of the garage - imaging the legal hassle if you wanted to rebuild it - so I bet you own the LHS boundary.
Your deeds will tell you which boundary you own. They can be downloaded from here Property Search - Land Registry for £3.

Nick
Old 30 March 2009, 10:06 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Seems to me that since the wall is part of your garage, ie your own property, then he is not entitled to treat it in any way which could cause damage. You could ask the authorities to take action if he persists.

Les