WTF Driving Dangerously!!!!!??

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2009, 06:18 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF Driving Dangerously!!!!!??

Anybody had a letter like this before??

As you can see it does not seem to be a 'notice of intended prosicution' I remember the day as i took my mates laptop back to him and fueled up as this is the nearest Shell to me, however i remember the journey as being totally uneventful and have no idea what i could of done that has caused this letter to be sent
The stretch of road that is mentioned, i was only on for 0.4 mile before i turned off for my mates address, it starts at a set of lights on a cross roads and continues up hill for less than half a mile with no other major junctions, it has terrace houses with cars parked both sides, not the sort of road you would hammer it up.
I am very confused and will be contacting plod on Monday but if anyone has any experience with this kind of notice your comments would be most appreciated
Old 21 March 2009, 06:28 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Failing to send it back will earn you some points, so get it filled in and sent off
Old 21 March 2009, 06:33 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

I had one for speeding a few years ago, but I knew I was in bed at the time (Sunday night, 10.30-ish) and it turned out they had got one digit wrong in the number plate.
Old 21 March 2009, 06:37 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

I acknowledge receipt of your letter. It seems that you have got my details from the DVLA and I confirm I am the keeper of the vehicle in question.

I do not know who was driving the car on the date you claim there was a driving offence, there are several people who it could of been, I do not keep logs as this is not required by law, if you claim there is please provide appropriate citations of case and/or statute law.

Unless you provide evidence to substantiate your claim against me I shall be unable to assist you further in this matter and I restate my denial of this claim.
Send that
Old 21 March 2009, 06:43 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

172 Duty to give information as to identity of driver, etc., in certain cases
(1) This section applies—
(a) to any offence under the preceding provisions of this Act except—
(i) an offence under Part V, or
(ii) an offence under section 13, 16, 51(2), 61(4), 67(9), 68(4), 96 or 117,
and to an offence under section 178 of this Act,
(b) to any offence under sections 25, 26, 27 and 45 of the [1988 c. 53.] Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988, and
(c) to any offence against any other enactment relating to the use of vehicles on roads.
(2) Where the driver of a vehicle is alleged to be guilty of an offence to which this section applies—
(a) the person keeping the vehicle shall give such information as to the identity of the driver as he may be required to give by or on behalf of a chief officer of police, and
(b) any other person shall if required as stated above give any information which it is in his power to give and may lead to identification of the driver.
In this subsection references to the driver of a vehicle include references to the person riding a cycle.
(3) A person who fails to comply with the requirement of subsection (2)(a) above is guilty of an offence unless he shows to the satisfaction of the court that he did not know and could not with reasonable diligence have ascertained who the driver of the vehicle or, as the case may be, the rider of the cycle was.
(4) A person who fails to comply with the requirement of subsection (2)(b) above is guilty of an offence.
Old 21 March 2009, 06:44 PM
yoza
BANNED

You have been observed by an officer either in a car or on foot driving in a dangerous manner, in his or her opinion.

I have had a similar experience where I had to appear at the local magistrates on a speeding offence, to cut a long story short I was observed by two officers on foot who said " in their opinion " I was speeding.

I got an £80 fine and 3 points.

I did have a brief paid for by myself (£175 for half an hour), he put a case forward, stateing lack of evidence and "opinion" not being good enough for prosecution etc.. and lost.

He even threw a crumpled piece of paper across the room and asked the officers how fast it was going....to be honest I think that was a mistake.

I was speeding about twice the limit in a 40 zone, but I thought there was no way they could do me " in thier opinion "...I was wrong, they could, and did.

I was accellerating from rest as I passed the two officers on the beat, I went straight past them, and thought nothing of it, until the summons arrived.

Lesson learnt.

EDITED TO SAY..You must lose the reg on this post, or you may be recieving another letter.

Last edited by yoza; 21 March 2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 21 March 2009, 06:45 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

And don't answer the door for a while
Old 21 March 2009, 06:51 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

the alleged offense was on the 26th Feb but they sent the letter on 19th March?

what have they been doing? thinking about it for 3 weeks?

Looks like you've been seen by an off duty officer. This thread might give you some more info.

SECTION 172 (OFF DUTY POLICE OFFICER) - FightBack Forums
Old 21 March 2009, 06:55 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yoza
You have been observed by an officer either in a car or on foot driving in a dangerous manner, in his or her opinion.

I have had a similar experience where I had to appear at the local magistrates on a speeding offence, to cut a long story short I was observed by two officers on foot who said " in their opinion " I was speeding.

I did have a brief paid for by myself (£175 for half an hour), he put a case forward, stateing lack of evidence and "opinion" not being good enough for prosecution etc.. and lost.
That's getting off lightly compared to what you would have recieved had there been evidence though.
Old 21 March 2009, 08:20 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

wtf you can be done for speeding, based on a coppers opinion? are these letters genuine? can you just not say no evidence, no offence comitted
Old 21 March 2009, 09:00 PM
spireite
BANNED

He even threw a crumpled piece of paper across the room and asked the officers how fast it was going....to be honest I think that was a mistake.

I was speeding about twice the limit in a 40 zone, but I thought there was no way they could do me " in thier opinion "...I was wrong, they could, and did.

I was accellerating from rest as I passed the two officers on the beat, I went straight past them, and thought nothing of it, until the summons arrived.

Lesson learnt.

EDITED TO SAY..You must lose the reg on this post, or you may be recieving another letter.

I'd have asked when were said coppers eyes last calibrated
Old 21 March 2009, 09:07 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Doesn't the 14 day limit apply to this offence? No NIP, no case to answer unless they have really detailed video evidence. Don't reply with anything other than your details.
Old 21 March 2009, 09:19 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

A 172 has nothing to do with the actual offence, It is a request(demand) for information relating to an offence.
Failure to provide details will get you prosecuted anyways so you are as well to provide the details.
This is part one of a possible prosecution, Once the driver is identified then they will follow normal procedure to prosecuted the driver.
THERE IS NO RIGHT TO SILENCE UNDER A 172!!!!

You stand to get done for use/cause/permit if you dont fill it in.
The best option is to go along with the letter and tackle the actual offence itself rather than worry about this phase.
See sec 6.1 European human right.

Hope that helps.
Old 21 March 2009, 09:20 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

That cracked me up
Maybe thought he was Tom Cruise or something..
Old 21 March 2009, 09:28 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Timwinner
A 172 has nothing to do with the actual offence, It is a request(demand) for information relating to an offence.
Failure to provide details will get you prosecuted anyways so you are as well to provide the details.
This is part one of a possible prosecution, Once the driver is identified then they will follow normal procedure to prosecuted the driver.
THERE IS NO RIGHT TO SILENCE UNDER A 172!!!!

You stand to get done for use/cause/permit if you dont fill it in.
The best option is to go along with the letter and tackle the actual offence itself rather than worry about this phase.
See sec 6.1 European human right.

Hope that helps.
okay so wonce you own up, they then say they going to prosecutte u for speeding or whateva etc?

you go court and fite it and copper just says i saw you? and u lose
Old 21 March 2009, 09:37 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by eggy790
okay so wonce you own up, they then say they going to prosecutte u for speeding or whateva etc?

Old 21 March 2009, 09:37 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

your spelling is woeful
Old 21 March 2009, 09:39 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Filling in the section is not owning up to anything, The prosecution and your chance to defend your position will follow this.
This is to establish the driver who they intend to present with a prosecution. It is a bit of a rubbish law I agree but not filling it in will 100% get you points and a fine, filling it in and then defending yourself gives you the best chance of escaping prosecution.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but hey, I dont make the law.
Old 21 March 2009, 10:19 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

You haven't been presented with a Notice of Intended Prosecution within 14 days of the alleged offence. You now can't be prosecuted for the vast majority of driving offences. There is no offence of "drive dangerously or without consideration for other road users" it's either Dangerous Driving or Driving without etc. Simply reply with your details safe in the knowledge you can't be prosecuted. This assumes you didn't have an accident where you would have been aware of the offence and it also assumes your car is registered to you and they haven't had to go round the houses to get to you. Finally, this does not constitute legal advice.
Old 21 March 2009, 11:33 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

ahh that clears it up
Old 22 March 2009, 12:40 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Send it back partially filled in stating that you find it offensive that they are assuming that the driver is a christian - lower half of the form, surely it should be asking for first and family names!
Old 22 March 2009, 12:43 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by gpssti4
Send it back partially filled in stating that you find it offensive that they are assuming that the driver is a christian
Awesome - well spotted
Old 22 March 2009, 01:07 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Allahu Akbar !

Sorry !

dunx

P.S. Send them a bogus "scammera" invoice for your car at 10:30 in Hull ?

Last edited by dunx; 22 March 2009 at 01:09 AM.
Old 22 March 2009, 01:29 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Thanx all Its frying my head, i cant even remember seeing a copper, foot,car or van I think the 14 day rule must apply. I am f'ing fuming
Am going to ring um on Monday and am in the middle of penning a 'nice' letter to them to accompany the form. i will post up any thing i find out.
Again thanx all for the comments
Old 22 March 2009, 09:17 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck - hope that the thieving gypsy bar-stewards don't have anything on you.
Old 22 March 2009, 01:33 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

To the OP, it's the lexus lights. Loose 'em and all will be fine. Bobbies were just offended by them thats all
Old 22 March 2009, 01:40 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

All a bit mysterious, certainly looks as though they are far too late with a NIP anyway. Maybe someone was being a bit sensitive about the A 158, I seem to remember its a bit accident prone in places.

I think you will have to reply to them according to the law. Make sure you don't say anything at all which they could take advantage of.

Les

Quick Reply: WTF Driving Dangerously!!!!!??