Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Am I being scammed on ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2009, 05:16 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Am I being scammed on ebay?

Purchased an item yesterday. The seller has sent me a message through ebay, asking for my name and address to send the item.
I said check my paypal payment.

My ebay account was hacked into before, from someone I sold something to, I believe. Its sounds very dodgy, but they wanted to send a cab to pick up a £1000 laptop, even though I offered delivery of £20 quid. The cabfare would have been at least triple that. And they asked for me to confirm the address. It turned out later that they paid for it with someone elses paypal account, and it was taken back out of my account. I sold the laptop to the second chance bidder.
Now I've heard that they only need very basic information to reset an ebay password.
Is that whats happening here?

The seller got back to me and said "Your postcode is aparrently invalid, please just send me ur delivery details in a message."

Now I checked my postcode, its the sameone I always use on Paypal FFS. So something is up. They also only sent me a message through ebay, not directly to my email address, which makes me think they don't have it.
Old 20 March 2009, 05:23 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Can you not have it sent to a work address? You could say send it to my work as your there to collect. Least that way they don't have your home address to link up to your account details?
Old 20 March 2009, 05:24 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

It's fairly big, so want it to go to home.
Old 20 March 2009, 05:29 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

ha ha
Its not invalid believe me
Old 20 March 2009, 05:56 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Last post looks a bit wierd, there was a post from someone asking for my postcode on here. So I'm not just talking to myself.

Anyway, Ebay helpline was zero help.
The more I think of this, the more I think it is a scam.

Fisrt they asked for my NAME and ADDRESS, and when I said they should have it, they are saying the POSTCODE is invalid. So why didn' they just ask for the postcode in the first place?

Am I mega paranoid, or are there so many scammers about on ebay that its a valid query?
Old 20 March 2009, 06:10 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Send them the address exactly as is on your paypal account, this way they gain no additional info about you, also send it through ebay, you are not protected by paypal if it is sent to other than your 'paypal confirmed address', also 'request user info', you will find the link in the AtoZ section.
If they will not send to the confirmed address them tell them to stick the trasaction and report it to paypal and ebay and start an 'item not recieved' dispute. This way they will have to provide 'proof of postage' or paypal will refund you.
Don't be goaded into going 'outside' of ebay/paypal. Also never let anyone collect from you as then you have no 'proof of postage' and they then can claim against you, i have seen it done.
Stick to your guns and you should be ok

PS Post a link to the item so we can see.

Last edited by Glowplug; 20 March 2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 20 March 2009, 06:35 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it looks a scam it prob will be one, laptops, mobiles are all big hits for scammers
Old 20 March 2009, 06:53 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hate being in these sort of situations, hope you sort it all out

wiley
Old 21 March 2009, 10:27 AM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

My main concern, and ebay don't seem to get this either. Is that the person sending me these requests MAY not be the seller, as I already sent them it via paypal.
I don't want to send it to them again, because if they are not the seller, then that have some new information.
My ebay account was hacked into before. I don't use dodgy links provided to me in emails, but I did give the laptop buyer my address through ebay. I've heard you only need minimal information to reset a password. I just think someone has possibly hacked into the sellers account, but thats all they have, is an ebay login. And perhaps this sellers paypal and ebay password is not the same, like mine, so now they are "phishing" for someone elses.
Is anyone else with me on this?

Last edited by joey_turbo; 21 March 2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 21 March 2009, 12:34 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would walk away mate .. very quickly
Old 21 March 2009, 01:36 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

I've already paid via paypal.
Thing is, I'm telling them now there is something up. But they can't see that. So I'd imagine its a long wait for the money back.
Old 21 March 2009, 02:49 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
I've already paid via paypal.
Thing is, I'm telling them now there is something up. But they can't see that. So I'd imagine its a long wait for the money back.
Ok, simple, you have paid via paypal, if the item does not turn up then start a dispute. Have no more contact with the 'seller'. As you say, they have your details and should dispatch the item to the confirmed addy
Old 21 March 2009, 02:56 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by b13bat
Ok, simple, you have paid via paypal, if the item does not turn up then start a dispute. Have no more contact with the 'seller'. As you say, they have your details and should dispatch the item to the confirmed addy
I agree with the above. If 7 days after you won the laptop have passed and you have not received the item then open an 'item not received' dispute. Good luck and keep us posted
Old 24 March 2009, 03:00 AM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

wherees the item coming from ??
Old 24 March 2009, 12:28 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

Is there a phone number registered for the seller? If so then give them a ring to make sure its them.
The seller shouldnt be asking for you to confirm your address as it is provided to them via ebay on the item you bought and also via the paypal payment.
Whats their feedback rating like? Try contacting one of the people who has left this seller feedback asking if they have had to do anything similar when they had contact.
It may be just the seller has been messed about in the past with incorrect postal details and has had to refund money due to items not arriving, thus out of pocket and goods, so may be just covering themselves so if you say it hasnt arrived then they have the proof that you replied to them stating the delivery address.
Old 24 March 2009, 03:53 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Have you tried requesting contact info??

eBay Search: Find Contact Information
Old 24 March 2009, 04:18 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

The seller confirmed the post code I gave them. You could tell it was copied and pasted from paypal becuase of the format, I had some caps, some not.
So, I've obviously been massively paranoid. But we'll have to wait and see. He gave me a postal tracking number. But it didn't work, he said that PArcelforce didn't pick it up when he asked them to.
Seems a fairly genuine now. Almost like he was too lazy to login to paypal to check the payment, so just asked for my address.

Thanks for the advice so far. Hopefully the next time I post wil be to say I have the item.
Old 24 March 2009, 04:21 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b13bat
Have you tried requesting contact info??

eBay Search: Find Contact Information

Yep. Ebay advised me to do that. But at the same time, it sends out your contact info. So I moaned at ebay for asking me to do that, because if it was a hacked ebay account the seller was using, they now have my details where as the didn't before. Ebay haven't replied to that.