Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Gatso Graduation Lines

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2002, 09:11 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Question

Theres a Gatso sitting on the M11 just before M25 bridge at the start of the roadworks heading north.

There are no markings after it to graduate speed/distance.

It flashes

Is that a properly working legal gatso or not?

(There is a chance that it looks onto the M25 sliproad but I don't know as I don't go that way)

Just wondering...

Old 26 February 2002, 09:17 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Puff, if it hasn't got any lines it cannot possibly give a speed reading (time/distance).

You should be ok,

Cheers, MD.
Old 26 February 2002, 09:21 PM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

I got done 3 times last night. Only once could I have been over the limit. The others I knew about and there is no way I was over.

Is this normal?
Old 26 February 2002, 09:23 PM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Might be okay just now - but maybe keep a look out in case they have markings down next time - just a thought.
Old 26 February 2002, 09:43 PM
Martyn Tonks
Scooby Regular

Being heavily involved with roadworks etc (yes I manage one of those companies that put cones out at night) I've been hearing noises about a Gatso camera that has graduations on the glass over the lens, eliminating the need for road markings, (cos people see the markings slam on the anchors and cause a shunt) Only thing is I can't as yet get a fix on whether it is true or not.

Any way you shouldn't speed in roadworks, one of my sub contractors employees was knocked down on Friday night on the M5 by a lorry that failed to stop after he strayed into the coned area, he is still on the critical list, I had to meet his wife at the hospital (no fun) The speed limit is there for safety reasons not just to be awkward.

There you go had my say,sorry I'll leave it at that no more to say.
Old 26 February 2002, 10:15 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Martyn,

sorry to hear about your sub contractors employee - i wouldn't want to be wandering around on a motorway in the dark with only a row a of plastic cones to protect me. I hope that he recovers (mentally as well as physically) soon.

However, please don't automatically associate speed with accidents. Sure, the faster you go, the more damage you cause, but straying into the "coned area" will do bad whatever speed you are at.

And as for the "graduations on the glass over the lens", this will cost a fortune in determining the individual parallax and camera angle etc. I would expect that each camera would need independent Home Office approval. I doubt that they are being used. Anyway, the authorities seem to paint graduation lines on the road *****-nilly - so much for reducing panic braking!!!

mb

Old 26 February 2002, 11:13 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

You have a point there boomer!

I was travelling over to RC Developments last weekend, past Manchester, along the motorway like you do....all of a sudden i see these white lines for a speed camera, first reaction of course was to hit the brakes ( even though i was doing 70! )....turns out by the looks of it they must have been there from when there was roadworks at an earlier time, as i couldnt for the life of me see a camera, and there were faint lines inbetween the proper lanes.

Bet i was`nt the first and certainly wont be the last, bloody liability!

Rich.
Old 27 February 2002, 11:39 AM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Do they really need the lines, I have seen loop-induction Gatsos that don't have lines and they work.
Old 27 February 2002, 11:54 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

I doubt these had loop induction as they are temporary road works ones.

Had another look today as I went past and there are graduation lines but only on the hard-shoulder, not in the two traffic lanes that are open.

That would still be hard to get an accurate speed IMHO
Old 27 February 2002, 11:59 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Rich

These lines and gatsos have started appearing on the M11 north of J7 but in the 70mph limit bit. They are not active until the roadworks come in (generally )

I saw two cars today really stomp on their brakes when they saw them One of which would have given me a severe botty moment/dented car if I had been travelling behind him & not in the middle lane where I was

So much for observation
Old 27 February 2002, 12:50 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

It seems to get over looked when people talk about the cameras in roadworks that there are people working next to a dangerous stream of traffic (no jokes about tea breaks). The camera's are a pain and all the rest of it but on the motorway 9 out of 10 people don't slow to the speed the roadwork signs say.
Yet on the M25 at the moment about 9 out of 10 people are slowing to the 50limit.
Perhaps roadwork cameras are the first camera's ever to be put in the correct life saving places.

Hope your mate pulls through!

BTW - I have never seen a camera without road markings...?
Old 27 February 2002, 02:50 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I have! pembury road, heading into Tunbridge Wells. Brand spanking new Gatso, no lines near it.

Quick questions. GATSOs are rear facing, ie; take pic of rear of your car. If you are going opposite direction ie; other side of road to gatso and you tank through then it flashes, one assumes that you can't get done for this as it won't be able to 'see' the front number plate bacause you'd be past the lense when the second flash occurs.

Old 27 February 2002, 03:23 PM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

In NZ there are no marks on the road. They have loops in the road that work on induction. You get your photo taken from the front or the back. The front if preferable so you can atleast see who the hell was driving the car. Very handy for fleet cars.

There are also station wagons with cameras in the back that could be parked anywhere. They work using radar.

You are speeding so why the hell should you get a warning.

I accept the consequence if I am caught. What is the point in complaining. I would have been doing something wrong.

Ps. I got done three times on Monday night. I will sit back and take my medicine.

Stop all your whining.
Old 27 February 2002, 03:24 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Markus

If you set off a Gatso when going the other way it will only flash once. so you would be OK
Old 27 February 2002, 04:17 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Mark,
hmm, I've had it flash twice going the other way.
Old 28 February 2002, 09:35 PM
Martyn Tonks
Scooby Regular

Update on the guy knocked down on the M5, he is off the critical list, but expected to remain in hospital for some time, thanks to those people for asking about him.

The HSE are getting involved in this incident, however you will be pleased to know that all of those rows of lovely cones on motorways and other roads are there to protect the public, not the poor bloke working in them or putting them out, THATS OFFICIAL according to the HSE (Life is so cheap)

Back to GATSO cameras, I have certainly seen a move towards the 3 wires fixed to the road system in the last few months on various contracts, and the wires are more of a flat tape glued to the road surface with a purpose made adhesive called "Motorway Glue" believe it or not.

Full of useless information aint I?
Old 28 February 2002, 11:07 PM
ChrisB

Markus,

I would expect them to flash twice as it can't detect which way the vehicle is travelling but AFAIK you are out of frame for the 2nd picture.
Old 01 March 2002, 01:05 AM
Mufasa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Glad to hear your colleague is on the mend.
I hope they do manage to track down that lorry and throw the book at the driver.
Old 01 March 2002, 09:22 AM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

It goes without saying that these latest Gatsos with loop induction will not be detected by radar detectors, only GPS systems. Keep to the speed limits in these road work areas and give everyone a chance.
Old 01 March 2002, 10:05 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Having been up and down that stretch of road a few times since I became interested in the question, I have not seen any sign of an induction loop buried in the old concrete of that stretch of the M11. May be wrong.

The graduation lines that only appear on the hard shoulder are punctuated by a roadworks sign 3/4 of their length along together with some sandbags & cones scattered about.

However, as I passed today, I noticed the camera being serviced by a couple of people, obviously replacing or installing a cartridge/film/camera or all 3. Therefore, it obviously has camera capability.

It would be interesting to know how it works, bearing in mind the seeming absense of signs of induction loops and graduation lines not actually on the road its covering.
Old 01 March 2002, 10:40 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Further to my previous post...

Went home this evening & the Gatso had GONE

Therefore concept that engineers may have been unloading film is potentially suspect as they could've just been dismantling it

Guess I might never know the answer...
Old 01 March 2002, 10:51 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Markus,
I was told once that if you go towards a camera at 30+ over the limit then it will flash AND you'll get nicked, that is assuming that the camera's operative.
Ron,
ps, I've just fitted 01 wheels to my my00, nice!
Old 02 March 2002, 12:18 AM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

Talking

Unless yr on a bike in which case wind that throttle back, extend middle digit and use up some film.