Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Summer flights to Australia

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2009, 02:48 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summer flights to Australia

Wife wants to go this summer to visit family. I've looked for cheap flights, but none seem to be available, only up to June. Some flights ARE available, but full price.

Should I try travel agents, or is that not worthwhile?

Does anyone know of any cheap flight websites...........her sisters have advised Singapore Airlines?

She wants to go in via Sydney, out via Perth, or vice-versa, with connecting flight sometime inbetween.

Dates are end of July, (from 22nd), and she would like to be there about 4 weeks. She doesn't need hotels as her family will put her up.

Thanks for any pointers, advice and help.
All posts saying "don't go to Australia" will be ignored
Old 11 March 2009, 02:54 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Always a tough one, but in this economic climate personally I'd wait, and keep looking for a sale. Passengers numbers are down across all carriers, and they'll be quite keen to attract punters. Rumour has it that SQ are going to pull the A380 out of LHR as it's only between 60-70% full and replace it with a 747. QF are now using the 380 to Oz and I'm sure they'll be getting similar loads.

So wait, but keep an eye out on the carriers websites who'd you like to fly with. Choice of BA, Virgin, Singapore and Qantas from LHR.
Old 11 March 2009, 02:56 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

In my experince your problem there is going to be going out via one city and returning via another. A return to Perth will be much cheaper than a outbound to Perth/inbound from Sydney or the likes.

Cheap flights to Aus do come up sometimes on Last Minute and the likes, but that won't work if she has to plan ahead however if she can be flexible give it a go.

Emirates usually have some keen fares if you search hard too, but a lot depends on how busy the routes are etc.

Remember summer here is their winter so that should help with any internal flights if she decides to go to return to Perth and then get a return from Perth to Sydney for example.
Old 11 March 2009, 03:14 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Don't go to OZ? Why the hell not? Sure, it's got Aussies and all manner of things that can kill you but the place is awesome.

Cheapest flights in or out of Perth would be with Royal Brunei. They're a bit basic, though TBH. Emirates probably offer the best overall deal in/out of Perth as it's the most direct (via Dubai)

Happy travelling
Old 11 March 2009, 03:21 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

http://www.kayak.co.uk/s/flights.jsp...completed=true

£1352 - Seems about right to me, there and back + one internal flight.
Old 11 March 2009, 05:20 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

£800 is about ballpark I'd reckon.
Malaysian airlines are OK.
There is a bit of a premium to fly BA/QANTAS.
God only knows why as they are both crap.
Not sure about internal flight or different arrival/departure. Probably be used as an excuse to rip you off.
Maybe try austravel.com

Last edited by cster; 11 March 2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11 March 2009, 06:03 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Jeff; my experience is that theres always a 'reason' for the prices to be higher, to Australia. With other countires/continents you can find high and low periods, but thats not the case with Aus, with the exception of around now; and its a short window too.

Trending Topics

Old 11 March 2009, 07:36 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Been to an agent in town where they know me as I get a lot of Euros from them and alwqays chat to the girls

Anyway, the lass I spoke to said that a lot of airlines didn't seem to have flights listed for wife's dates yet. She put in earlier, and about twelve came up, cheapest was £563 return, via our chosen routes.

She is now keeping an eye open for me.
Old 15 March 2009, 12:04 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

We are in the very small cheap window now and the cheapest that I remember was about £465, which was available in 2004. Considering how the price of oil has risen I dont think that £565 is bad at all. Itll certainly rise as we come into season.....
Old 15 March 2009, 11:59 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

My bro in law sent me the Trailfinders website address. I looked as they were advertisng £499 return, but THOSE flights only go up to 15th June.............three months.

I'll keep trying, but it's beginning to look like I'll not get what I want until mid-end April, three months before mid-end July

I've found internals in August for $400 rteturn or $200 one way, looks OK.

TBH, she can't/won't complain about flight prices. She WANTS to go, and once she's there, except for the internal flight, all accomodation will be free.