Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Internet debit/credit card rip-offs

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2009, 02:51 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Internet debit/credit card rip-offs

How many of you have noticed the increasing number of internet-trading companies, who now charge you a fee over and above the selling price for products just because you pay with a card. It first came to my notice with the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet, who charge about GBP 4.95 for the privilege of taking your credit card. However, they used to let you pay by Debit Card for no extra fee, so that wasn't too bad. Now they charge you for that as well, but I think they let you off if you use their own charge card, so it is just possible to purchase a ticket for the advertised price.

What really got my goat yesterday, was pre-booking a single day's airport car-parking with APCOA (Luton). You only find out that there's no possible way of avoiding the card fee when you come to pay, no matter how you want to pay. OK it was only a quid, but on top of GBP 6.50 for the car-park that means a 15% price hike! Surely they must be legally bound to sell their product at the advertised price in return for some form or other of payment? Can you imagine picking up something from your local supermarket only to be told at the check-out that it's 15% more expensive than stated on the shelf, no matter what form of payment you tender? You'd tell them to stuff it wouldn't you?
Old 06 March 2009, 03:10 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Yeah I disagree with being charged for using the debit card... Just been charged £1 for using my debit card by Seaways when I booked a trip to Amsterdam earlier in the week. I know its only a quid but christ almighty
Old 06 March 2009, 03:20 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Credit card charges being passed on I can understand, but not on debit cards though.
Old 06 March 2009, 03:41 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Another thing that really gets my goat is Vue cinemas charging a booking fee per ticket!

Surely it's one transaction as far as the card issuer is concerned?

Tw@ts

Geezer