Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Adult learning?

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2009, 10:52 AM
alpha charlie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adult learning?

How many folk have studied for a new quailification years after leaving school?

20 years since I left school and 13 since I last took any formal exams (BTEC) but tommorow I've got a Maths and a Physics exam to kick start my CAA Aircraft Engineering Licence.
Seemed like a good idea when I enrolled but not sure now
AC
Old 05 March 2009, 11:48 AM
GStar
Scooby Regular

Good Luck!!! Sure you'll do well!!!!
Old 05 March 2009, 12:07 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by alpha charlie
How many folk have studied for a new quailification years after leaving school?
I got my HNC in Computing when I was 37. Took me 2.5 Years at night classes and bloody hard work.
Old 05 March 2009, 12:10 PM
Phil555
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm doing an HNC in Mechanical Engineering through COLU at the grand age of 36. Paid for through my work.
Old 06 March 2009, 04:46 PM
alpha charlie
Scooby Regular

Nice one folks

I'm just back from the exam centre, was just like school exams in a giant hall!!

2 weeks or so for the results and in the mean time I have the physics assignment to submit and start on the next subjects

Cheers
AC
Old 06 March 2009, 06:57 PM
Davey L
Scooby Regular

Hope it all goes well, i'm thinking about getting my aircraft licences soon it's bit of work but it'll be worth it in the end.

Old 06 March 2009, 08:31 PM
WReX1990
Scooby Regular

A bit of advise,
Use the time, effort and money you are using now for your Licence and get a 'General' Mechanical Engineering degree instead.
I would never advise anyone to get into the Aviation maintenance industry these days... it's not what it was for many many reasons.

You would have a far wider job scope with a 'proper' engineering degree, it will also allow you to advance further up the trees which will in itself bring much better financial gains and conditions....

EASA is also allowing a direct conversion (to a B1 / B2 Type licence) if you have an acknowledged Engineering degree.

But a B1 / B2 in the outside world holds no water anywhere!

Good luck
Old 06 March 2009, 08:57 PM
alpha charlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WReX1990
A bit of advise,
Use the time, effort and money you are using now for your Licence and get a 'General' Mechanical Engineering degree instead.
I would never advise anyone to get into the Aviation maintenance industry these days... it's not what it was for many many reasons.

You would have a far wider job scope with a 'proper' engineering degree, it will also allow you to advance further up the trees which will in itself bring much better financial gains and conditions....

EASA is also allowing a direct conversion (to a B1 / B2 Type licence) if you have an acknowledged Engineering degree.

Good luck

Is the advice for me matey?
If it is im not looking for a new career at nearly 40, ive done this for 20 years already, the license and degree will allow me to advance in the company I currently work for (military aviation) where a general engineering degree is treated the same as a colleagues geology degree.
As for the direct conversion route, my manager was asked for £1000's to research whether or not his current engineering degree would accredit any prior learning towards the 66 license, as the exams are £32 each thats a whole of of exams for the £1000's they wanted.
Cheers
AC
Old 06 March 2009, 09:00 PM
Davey L
Scooby Regular

A bit of advise,

Good luck
New one on me, cheers though. I'll have a word with the careers dudes next week as i have about 2 years left of a 22 year engagement as an aircraft techie in the RAF. When i get out i want to stick what i do cos at the end of the day i quite enjoy my job. Options are always good though.
Old 06 March 2009, 09:06 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Phil555
I'm doing an HNC in Mechanical Engineering through COLU at the grand age of 36. Paid for through my work.
I'm currently applying (and passed forst 2 stages) for a Mechanical Engineering apprenticeship at Corus in Scunny with a load of 15-16 year old School boys. Age doesn't bother me but £117 p/w wages may
Old 06 March 2009, 09:10 PM
alpha charlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
I'm currently applying (and passed forst 2 stages) for a Mechanical Engineering apprenticeship at Corus in Scunny with a load of 15-16 year old School boys. Age doesn't bother me but £117 p/w wages may
Good effort then matey, you're not a million miles away from me then if the commute to Scunny aint a big un
AC
Old 06 March 2009, 09:15 PM
zeuss
Scooby Regular

Im 38 and just on my last year due to qualify in May (3yr course) doing a BSc Business Computing & Multimedia and Ive also enrolled to do another year at Uni doing a PGCE (teaching)
Old 06 March 2009, 09:22 PM
WReX1990
Scooby Regular

I see you guys are in the Forces still...
5 yrs and previous it was easy to get the Licence as you(forces) got loads of exemptions from which was an easy exam set up, and also at the Oral exams, the forces lads always got an easy ride...

The state of the job in 'civi' world has changed alot and the new exam set up is crazy for what it is. It would be far better to channel the study time and energy to a more wider 'Engineering' base which would give you far more scope in terms of employment.

I think this link may lead to some info... 'click click'

Regards

Last edited by WReX1990; 06 March 2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06 March 2009, 09:28 PM
alpha charlie
Scooby Regular

I see you guys are in the Forces still...
5 yrs and previous it was easy to get the Licence as you(forces) got loads of exemptions from which was an easy exam set up, and also at the Oral exams, the forces lads always got an easy ride...

The state of the job in 'civi' world has changed alot and the new exam set up is crazy for what it is. It would be far better to channel the study time and energy to a more wider 'Engineering' base which would give you far more scope in terms of employment.

I think this link may lead to some info... 'click click'

Regards
I left the RAF 3 years ago but been slack so not done a deal other than type courses since. Now that my current employer is big on PD it seems right to use it and get the license/degree out the way in one go leaving me in a good position for my future with them

You already licensed? I guess from your location a couple of airports are within easy reach?
Cheers
AC
Old 06 March 2009, 09:30 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I'm doing an NVQ4 through my work, thankfully no exams with that! But the training is intense and I haven't even started my portfolio yet.

Did a degree as a mature student (well, at 22!) and haven't done any other type of study since.
Old 06 March 2009, 09:35 PM
WReX1990
Scooby Regular

Lol, yes been in and out of the game and have all the tickets...
Should be fully out for good very shortly, but will still keep my feet wet if you know what I mean... (oh, and I am far from retired(age wise)..lol)

Don't get me wrong, it's a decent job that pays the bills, but if there was a choice someone had, then my advise above would be what I suggested above as it would give you a much better playing hand.
Old 06 March 2009, 09:48 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alpha charlie
Good effort then matey, you're not a million miles away from me then if the commute to Scunny aint a big un
AC
Live in Scunny. Corus is about 1 mile from my house. Saying that, in Scunny it's about 1 mile from every house its that long
Old 06 March 2009, 10:31 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Although always been in IT, in the last 9 years (started doing them when i was 33) I have done 17 microsoft cisco and prince 2 project managment exams

in a funny way I quite enjoy it
Old 07 March 2009, 12:06 AM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Phil555

sort of the same course as myself. im 33 though, still no easier
Old 07 March 2009, 11:33 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

While I was in the RAF, every time I changed the job to a different machine and style of operation I had to do long courses to learn what was necessary. It was a nuisance but we all got used to it and got on with it. Keeps the brain alive at least!

Les
Old 07 March 2009, 11:48 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Not for the last 8 years, well none that aren't internal through work, however I want to enroll in a Open University course soon, unfortunatley I don't think that my employer will pay for it.