Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Medicines for Children

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2009, 01:10 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Medicines for Children

Interesting that this is in the news and being reviewed. I think they are probably safe for the majority of children.

Having said that, when I was a child if I were given Sudafed then I would have bizarre nightmares. As a prelude to my future career, the nightwares weren't about scary monsters but about things being illogical and I couldn't stand the fact that things didn't add up / follow a prescribed pattern.

(I work with computers and have done from an early age )

Steve
Old 01 March 2009, 01:43 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Not sure how well these cold medicines work on adults either. I get nightmares and weird dreams even now under the effect of Sudafed, and even non-drowsy Actifed. TBH, I get weird nightmares when I am ill, even without any intake of any medication. When your head feels like a quagmire, anything is possible When I was a child, I did feel relieved after the intake of such medicines. I think it's the caffiene and paracetamol contents in these medicines that offered some relief. Not really something that actually beats the cold as such.
Old 01 March 2009, 02:02 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

These nearly useless medicines are not for kids. They are bought to satisfy mum that she is doing her best.

Trust the pharmacist they say. Yeah right - the pharmacist is bound to say "No don't buy that well packaged cold/cough remedy that has just been released at a mere £7.99 as it really won't do any good"

dl
Old 01 March 2009, 02:08 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

In my day it was Junior Disprin and a cheap cherry linctus. I can't take Sudafed even now without it making me jittery and sleepless!

I love Benylin (drowsy) tho'! (only when I'm ill, obviously )

Last edited by oldsplice; 01 March 2009 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Used a forward slash instead of an apostrophe. Telboy would be livid!
Old 01 March 2009, 07:05 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldsplice
I can't take Sudafed even now without it making me jittery and sleepless!

Pseudoephedrine is a mild stimulant, so this is to be expected. It works because a major side-effect is to dry out mucous membranes, like those inside the nose. And like those inside your digestive tract as well, which is why another side-effect is constipation.

Benylin has no effect on coughs, it just makes you too tired to cough.

M
Old 01 March 2009, 08:13 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I used to get nightmares with Sudafed too

In all my 38 years of trying various remedies, I've yet to find anything that even comes close to a good spicy curry and a couple of brandy loaded coffes