ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Medicines for Children (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/749868-medicines-for-children.html)

boxst 01 March 2009 01:10 PM

Medicines for Children

Interesting that this is in the news and being reviewed. I think they are probably safe for the majority of children.

Having said that, when I was a child if I were given Sudafed then I would have bizarre nightmares. As a prelude to my future career, the nightwares weren't about scary monsters but about things being illogical and I couldn't stand the fact that things didn't add up / follow a prescribed pattern.

(I work with computers and have done from an early age :) )

Steve

Turbohot 01 March 2009 01:43 PM

Not sure how well these cold medicines work on adults either. I get nightmares and weird dreams even now under the effect of Sudafed, and even non-drowsy Actifed. TBH, I get weird nightmares when I am ill, even without any intake of any medication. When your head feels like a quagmire, anything is possible :D When I was a child, I did feel relieved after the intake of such medicines. I think it's the caffiene and paracetamol contents in these medicines that offered some relief. Not really something that actually beats the cold as such.

David Lock 01 March 2009 02:02 PM

These nearly useless medicines are not for kids. They are bought to satisfy mum that she is doing her best.

Trust the pharmacist they say. Yeah right - the pharmacist is bound to say "No don't buy that well packaged cold/cough remedy that has just been released at a mere £7.99 as it really won't do any good" :rolleyes:

dl

oldsplice 01 March 2009 02:08 PM

In my day it was Junior Disprin and a cheap cherry linctus. I can't take Sudafed even now without it making me jittery and sleepless! :lol1:

I love Benylin (drowsy) tho'! :D (only when I'm ill, obviously :Suspiciou)

_Meridian_ 01 March 2009 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by oldsplice (Post 8546355)
I can't take Sudafed even now without it making me jittery and sleepless! :lol1:

Pseudoephedrine is a mild stimulant, so this is to be expected. It works because a major side-effect is to dry out mucous membranes, like those inside the nose. And like those inside your digestive tract as well, which is why another side-effect is constipation.

Benylin has no effect on coughs, it just makes you too tired to cough.

M

CrisPDuk 01 March 2009 08:13 PM

I used to get nightmares with Sudafed too :(

In all my 38 years of trying various remedies, I've yet to find anything that even comes close to a good spicy curry and a couple of brandy loaded coffes :thumb:

hutton_d 01 March 2009 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 8546345)
These nearly useless medicines are not for kids. They are bought to satisfy mum that she is doing her best.

Trust the pharmacist they say. Yeah right - the pharmacist is bound to say "No don't buy that well packaged cold/cough remedy that has just been released at a mere £7.99 as it really won't do any good" :rolleyes:

dl

Spot on! We have tried a couple of kiddies cough syrups for the young 'un but they didn't work so now he just coughs until it stops .... Just like adults really - nothing really stops a cough. I usually take nothing BUT if I HAVE to go to a daytime meet I'll take Day Nurse. If I need to sleep then I'll take Night Nurse* - but a bottle of each lasts me years ....

I've seen reports that hardly any of these so-called *kids* medicines have actually been tested on kids - just adults and the results/doses extrapolated.

Dave

* a couple of pints before taking Night Nurse and you sleep for 10 hours. No matter when the alarm is set for.

** Night Nurse - tip from a friend that seems to work. Taking a slightly lower dose than recommended avoids that *woosey* feeling the next day