Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do Kids still pray in schools ?

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2009, 01:48 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Do Kids still pray in schools ?

I remember having to say a couple of prayers (sp) in assembly .. do they still do that ?
Old 06 February 2009, 01:53 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd have thought if you went to a faith based school then you'd probably have to do it. I certainly had to at the RC schools I went to.
Old 06 February 2009, 01:57 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Mine does I think. She knows the lords prayer and we haven't taught her that.

They do alot of "Who put the L in Life? HE did" type singing too.

I sometimes wonder if I'm happy about it but it seems to give them some grounding values and morals so I'll let her decide once shes older if she believes it all.
Old 06 February 2009, 02:23 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Mine does I think. She knows the lords prayer and we haven't taught her that.

They do alot of "Who put the L in Life? HE did" type singing too.

I sometimes wonder if I'm happy about it but it seems to give them some grounding values and morals so I'll let her decide once shes older if she believes it all.
I had all that in school and grew to be a none believer .. my dad believes but never tried to push it onto me ..

I was only wondering with all the mixed races and religions now, if they are allowed to make kids pray.
Old 06 February 2009, 02:25 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I do hope so, I had to go through all of that so it's only fair they do.
Old 06 February 2009, 02:34 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Apparently they pray every day that they will be able to read and write by the time they are 15!
Old 06 February 2009, 03:04 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Certainly the schools associated with a Church do and my daughters attend a Catholic school.

I believe in the general schools you are not allowed -- certainly the Scientology one wasn't allowed to pray to Xenu.

Steve

Last edited by boxst; 06 February 2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06 February 2009, 03:07 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If they did, then the schools would not be promoting equality and ethnic diversity mumbo jumbo.
Old 06 February 2009, 04:40 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I was only wondering with all the mixed races and religions now, if they are allowed to make kids pray.
I'd say that if you send your kid to, for example, a roman catholic comprehensive school, that it's somewhat expected that there will be religious things that will be performed, such as a prayer at assembly.
I also seem to recall having to go to the chapel for mass at least once a term.

We had a few kids that were of other religions and they were not forced to pray or attend mass, and a few of them were excused from the RE classes. From what I recall they just got shunted into a classroom and got on with something else.
Old 06 February 2009, 04:43 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

i bet they have all been praying for snow days this week - regardless of faith

yep, went to a primary school where the lords prayer was said at every assembly, and then on to grammar school where we went to the on site chapel once a week, and the whole school went to the local CofE church at the end of every term. And hymn were sung
Old 06 February 2009, 04:56 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

More to the point, do they still do country dancing?
Old 06 February 2009, 08:28 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

oh yeah i remember now, having to say a prayer in assembly and also in the dinner line before we was allowed in the canteen. Something like thankyou god for the food we eat blah blah blah. Then you learn to mumble it realy fast whilst rolling down your white cotton socks
Old 06 February 2009, 08:34 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember having to say prayers in assembly, then we were told either a bible story or a moral type story. Then we got to sing hymns. It was a CoE school. No idea if this still goes on.

By senior school, most of our assembly stories came from The Readers Digest IIRC. Think we still had a little prayer too, at least in the earlier years.
Old 06 February 2009, 08:36 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

In my class at Primary school my best friend was Jewish and we all did the prayers at lunch and assemblely regardless of religion.

Same goes for secondary i went to a mixed race/religion Integrated college and you did prayer or at least showed your respect for those involved by bowing your head and staying silent.

Too much is up for debate these days, We did it cus we were told too and it didn't do anyone any harm to either show respect to there God or to show respect to one another.
Old 06 February 2009, 08:38 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Soon British school kids will have to pray 5 times a day to Allah!

Last edited by Tam the bam; 06 February 2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06 February 2009, 08:40 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tam the bam
Soon British school kids will have to pray 5 times a day to Allah!
you forgot to say they get free rugs .

waits to be shot down
Old 06 February 2009, 10:49 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BigJay
In my class at Primary school my best friend was Jewish and we all did the prayers at lunch and assemblely regardless of religion.

Same goes for secondary i went to a mixed race/religion Integrated college and you did prayer or at least showed your respect for those involved by bowing your head and staying silent.

Too much is up for debate these days, We did it cus we were told too and it didn't do anyone any harm to either show respect to there God or to show respect to one another.
Same in mine !
Old 06 February 2009, 10:58 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

For snow next week as well ?
Old 06 February 2009, 11:01 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

They do it too much in my kids' school (as per previous thread last year).

I'm seeing the head about it in a couple of weeks - lovely chap, just for a chat. Have been thinking about it for months.

It is just absurd to make my daughter come home in a 'Thank God for fun' hat and my son in a 'Thank God for food' hat when other 'Christians' in the world are dying of abject misery and starvation. Absurd.

D
Old 07 February 2009, 12:34 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I think kids do pray in school. They pray to some unknown power to get them out of their classrooms as soon as possible, as can't bear studies. They make so much noise in playground, its beyond belief! People that live near schools can confirm that. I don't live that close to school, but its not that far either. School only has about 60 (age 4-10) kids in it, but they can give eardrums killers Metallica band a serious run for their money, they shout so much! Catharsis of their frustration takes place in the playground, their prayers get answered for.
Old 07 February 2009, 12:55 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
They do it too much in my kids' school (as per previous thread last year).

I'm seeing the head about it in a couple of weeks - lovely chap, just for a chat. Have been thinking about it for months.

It is just absurd to make my daughter come home in a 'Thank God for fun' hat and my son in a 'Thank God for food' hat when other 'Christians' in the world are dying of abject misery and starvation. Absurd.

D
I dont think i've read your thread Diesel and can understand why you would object to something like this BUT i'd be happier that my children were believing in something like God as if they are believers and being taught right they will understand that God does provide but only to those that work hard and deserve it, which sets really good morals for children in my own opinion ofcourse.
Old 07 February 2009, 01:23 AM
Luke
BANNED

I live right next to a small Catholic school. They start the day with a good old sing song !! Kids are so well behaved etc. In fact the demand for religious schools is at a all time high.
Old 07 February 2009, 01:36 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luke
In fact the demand for religious schools is at a all time high.
There is a truth in that^.

A Catholic school here has a huge waiting list. Children have been producing fantastic results there, and people are very keen to admit their kids into that school. To get the kids into such school, some people are even pretending to be practising Catholic Christian by joining the church etc. which is being criticised by the CCs with genuine faith.
Old 07 February 2009, 01:43 AM
Luke
BANNED

And they DO check to make sure you and your kids attend the church !!

On the way to Kensal rise i pass a famous Muslim school that is getting great reports > And many none Muslim families want their kids to attend it .

I for one would want my child (On the way soon i hope !) to attend a catholic school.
Old 07 February 2009, 07:47 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Funny that this thread come up now. Last night my youngest (5) asked me a very strange question -

"Is God a good thing?"

Whilst my own beliefs are private (certainly not for broadcasting on the interweb - nothing untoward. Just private) I wasn't quite sure how to answer the question. It caught my by surprise tbh!!

If I say yes - it's promoted my potential belief on her.
If I say no - same as above!!

I ended up twisting it around and asking her if SHE thought God was a good thing...... I said whatever she believes is right for her.

And as far as I can tell, both of our kids' schools promote praying, as do the Brownies group my one daughter attends. But they also do alot of awareness studies of other faiths.

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 07 February 2009 at 07:48 AM. Reason: spollung!!!
Old 07 February 2009, 10:20 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
I dont think i've read your thread Diesel and can understand why you would object to something like this BUT i'd be happier that my children were believing in something like God as if they are believers and being taught right they will understand that God does provide but only to those that work hard and deserve it, which sets really good morals for children in my own opinion ofcourse.
Here was the thread mate https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ds-school.html . Some really good helpful responses there for me.

I tend to agree with what you say above, but I dislike what I perceive the blind imbalance (maybe that's what 'faith' is?) and am tempted to counter it to achieve a balance. But don't want confused kids !!

I also don't want religious sloganistic headgear!!! They were also singing in a concert the other day and singing 'Jesus is our friend' type stuff. That's OK, but does lean to the Evangelical way of doing things (again could be too biased/strong/preachy for me) - they love converts those types...

I just want to feel its being done with a cool balanced head - and, to be honest I think someone may be preaching and brainwashing. Born again types tend to find each other and stick together in my experience and feel genuinely sorry for those that dont share their 'enlightenment'...

D
Old 07 February 2009, 11:09 AM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

The only thing i believe in is myself. I am not religious and never intend to be but i am not ignorant to those that do believe in one faith or another.

I know when my son starts school he will not be taking part in active praying because i do consider it to be hypocritical. He will be taught about different religions and beliefs and then it will be his decision if he wants to follow one.

I also dont like it when people get their child christened because its the "in thing to do" despite never attending church or educating of the belief.
Old 07 February 2009, 11:16 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCOsazOBY

I also dont like it when people get their child christened because its the "in thing to do" despite never attending church or educating of the belief.
You have a point there. Is it similar to some people going for snow white wedding in church, when they don't really give a toss to what the religious priest (who reads out vows to parrotise ) really believes in, nor do they care for church? I don' thinks vows involve "God" word in them, but even then..........