Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Obese Poeple and NHS treatment

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2009, 05:43 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obese People and NHS treatment

Following on from Nat's flawed thread about smokers not getting NHS treatment, what about the fatties?

It's quite simple, you're clinically obese, you eat to much, you don't do enough exercise and you are a drain on the resource of the country.

Stop eating, lose a few pounds and come back. If you scrape in to the "overweight" section we will treat you.

Last edited by davyboy; 05 February 2009 at 05:50 PM. Reason: edited for typo in heading....
Old 05 February 2009, 05:45 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Shock of the week but....

....I agree.
Old 05 February 2009, 05:55 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

You did this on purpose, davyboy. Just wait until I see Clare

I agree with all your points. I hope those that get gastric bands fitted have to pay. Would hate to think easy fixes like this were costing the NHS
Old 05 February 2009, 07:50 PM
spireite
BANNED

Originally Posted by davyboy
Following on from Nat's flawed thread about smokers not getting NHS treatment, what about the fatties?

It's quite simple, you're clinically obese, you eat to much, you don't do enough exercise and you are a drain on the resource of the country.

Stop eating, lose a few pounds and come back. If you scrape in to the "overweight" section we will treat you.

Maybe the NHS could put them on a course of ciggies to surpress their appetite
Old 05 February 2009, 07:52 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by spireite
Maybe the NHS could put them on a course of ciggies to surpress their appetite
Old 05 February 2009, 08:21 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

If you pay your taxes and pay for your pies the NHS cant possibly make a clinical call based on prejudice. However if it based on clinical reasons that is different.

Society is a mix and fatties make slim people feel good about themselves - imagine the loss if we were all vain carrot munchers that only talked about the gym or our BMI?

It is clearly self destructive to be obese (and is longevity the point of life?) , but most fatties know that and so it is their right and their decision. I think a lot of it may be different psychological programming (why can I easily 'pass' on dessert when most on the table look forward to it?) so to simplistically put it down to being weak/sad/gluttonous/greedy/lazy is probably generally a 'school-yard' approach to something far, far more complex.

Seconds anyone?

D
Old 05 February 2009, 08:34 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
It is clearly self destructive to be obese (and is longevity the point of life?) , but most fatties know that and so it is their right and their decision.
D
Self destructive it maybe but it is also not on for those that come close to a lard arséd munter and have to endure the smell or lack of room though.
Old 05 February 2009, 08:35 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am probably not allowed to comment, but I will anyway. This is my thought on it only, not that of SN, just to clarify.

I think Diesel has it fairly right. You can't withhold services from people, as it stands while we all contribute. I am not saying maybe more couldn't be done to try and help with the issues to do with weight, but people are entitled to eat how they choose, and I can't see how because someone is overweight, you can just withhold NHS treatment.

I for one am far from skinny, but while I do agree that my diet isn't very good, as I am very picky, and like few foods, I certainly don't eat alot. What I do eat may not be the best, and only eating one meal a day on average (not a huge meal either) probably doesn't help. So not all larger people stuff their faces. I rarely have anything massively fatty, and rarely have sweets/puddings etc. None of this matters really though.

Tbh, maybe we should just go private. That way, no matter what we all do, we get treatment when we need it, and we don't need to get into debates like these.
Old 05 February 2009, 09:34 PM
CLSII
Scooby Regular

Don't forget what the definition of obese is.

Apparently at 6'4 I should weigh about 12.5 stone. Now at that weight I would disappear down grids or be blown over in a strong wind. I am not joking. That is so completely ridiculous it is counter productive. During my heyday at 20 when i used to run 20 miles a week I weighed 13.5 stone and was really fit in terms of running etc but was generally regarded as being underweight. I am a couple of stone over that but not noticeably heavy.

This government is about control and would want every member of the public to feel fat, to be using the wrong car, guilt at having a conservatory, to worry at not separating their rubbish (which will be put together at a later stage by them) or to be 'enjoying a bottle of wine' at the week-end.

It may also be about being shafted for tax but control is what this government likes.

Sorry, I comment any further as I have to go and separate my landfill for China as it apparently makes it more interesting to mash it all up at the end whether it be here or when it gets there.
Old 05 February 2009, 10:08 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

Should we also stop delivering babies on the NHS (self inflicted?)

What about people who are involved in car accidents, should they have not travelled in a car and walked?

Should we refuse to treat anybody who has ever consumed alcohol, taken drugs had any sort of piercings, had a tattoo etc etc

The list is endless!
Old 05 February 2009, 10:13 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Lip up fatty, ah lip up fatty, for the reggae,
Lip up fatty, ah lip up fatty, for the reggae,

Old 05 February 2009, 10:34 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CLSII
Don't forget what the definition of obese is...

Apparently at 6'4 I should weigh about 12.5 stone.
What utter nonsense. You could easily be ok at 16 stone at that height! Whether you'd be fit and healthy is of course up to other considerations...

D
Old 06 February 2009, 12:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If you pay your taxes and pay for your pies the NHS cant possibly make a clinical call based on prejudice. However if it based on clinical reasons that is different.

Society is a mix and fatties make slim people feel good about themselves - imagine the loss if we were all vain carrot munchers that only talked about the gym or our BMI?

It is clearly self destructive to be obese (and is longevity the point of life?) , but most fatties know that and so it is their right and their decision. I think a lot of it may be different psychological programming (why can I easily 'pass' on dessert when most on the table look forward to it?) so to simplistically put it down to being weak/sad/gluttonous/greedy/lazy is probably generally a 'school-yard' approach to something far, far more complex.

Seconds anyone?

D
Absolutely right Diesel.

Les
Old 06 February 2009, 02:29 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gazza-uk
Should we also stop delivering babies on the NHS (self inflicted?)

What about people who are involved in car accidents, should they have not travelled in a car and walked?

Should we refuse to treat anybody who has ever consumed alcohol, taken drugs had any sort of piercings, had a tattoo etc etc

The list is endless!
On the issue of druggies and boozers, they can and do commit crimes, granny bashing, bag snatching and general theft to feed a habit. But it's a life choice.Two options:- 1. Give them some real pure stuff and watch them die a slow painfull death and save on prison places for peado who have been castrated and had their fingers removed or 2. Firing squad.Now fatties make a life choice too but how many fatties do you see snatching bags and doing a runner or turning over McD/BK/KFC in a drive by munch up???The case rest your honour.
Old 06 February 2009, 02:48 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Hold on just a cotton pickin minute there boy

I personally am what most would class as fat, but I pay my income tax, I pay my national insurance, and I pay my VAT on the food I eat (where applicable). So the NHS can pucker up, kiss my lilly white ***, and give me the treatment I have payed (through the nose) for

PS: I also pay road tax on two cars and two motorbikes, even though I can only use one at any given time Some of that must also have been swallowed up by the health service somewhere, because it sure as hell hasn't been spent on any of the roads I use
Old 06 February 2009, 02:51 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Hold on just a cotton pickin minute there boy

I personally am what most would class as fat, but I pay my income tax, I pay my national insurance, and I pay my VAT on the food I eat (where applicable). So the NHS can pucker up, kiss my lilly white ***, and give me the treatment I have payed (through the nose) for

PS: I also pay road tax on two cars and two motorbikes, even though I can only use one at any given time Some of that must also have been swallowed up by the health service somewhere, because it sure as hell hasn't been spent on any of the roads I use
Because it isn't road tax you pay, Fatty.
Old 06 February 2009, 02:55 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

It really makes me mad when I see threads/comments like this.

Nobody seems to stop to think that not all obese people are that way because of their diet/lifestyle. It's yet another stereotype. A person who may be of a larger nature may have one or many medical conditions which contribute to their size - whether that due to the nature of the complaint or the drugs which they have to take. HIgh doses of meds like systemic steroids cause redistrbution of fats etc, and can cause things such as truncal obesity.

So should these people be denied NHS treatment?? You need to consider all options before making such sweeping statements.
Old 06 February 2009, 02:57 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

All right then smart ****, Road Fund Licence. I still expect to see some return for it, what ever it's called

And whilst I may be large, I am also still pretty fit and healthy
Old 06 February 2009, 03:08 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
All right then smart ****, Road Fund Licence. I still expect to see some return for it, what ever it's called

And whilst I may be large, I am also still pretty fit and healthy
Well if you bought a car with CO2 emissions of 100g/km or less then you would see some return. A £0 Road Fund Licence bill.

Pies are on you too.
Old 07 February 2009, 12:29 AM
CLSII
Scooby Regular

What utter nonsense. You could easily be ok at 16 stone at that height! Whether you'd be fit and healthy is of course up to other considerations...

D
And 16 stone - that is just what I weigh.

Just check out a few of the ideal weight sites. It is seriously worrying. I can feel some new taxes coming on here from the control freaks in Whitehall
Old 07 February 2009, 12:37 AM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by Nat21
Lol at all the fattys claiming that the NHS/experts/Doctors are wrong and they aren't fat really

Classic denial

Jade Goody did that in a round-about way and look where she is now.

Lose weight or become a derided figure to be discussed in NSR while you're on your death bed
I bet you are a wee fat shoite Nat, go on admit it you is a little round turd who sweats at the thought of exercise, I bet you eat Mcdonalds everyday, you fat turd
Old 07 February 2009, 08:24 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Sorry but you can refuse treatment and indeed should. if someone chooses to make the decision to neglect themselves and expect others to pay for it then sorry thats wrong. I have personally worked with a number of people who have nearly killed themselves due to drink, drugs and eating **** and they were totally responsible for their illnesses and their treatment ran to thousands and thousands.

I don't see why anyone should pay for this, I'm not being cold I just think people have to be given responsibility for parts of their health and have a duty of self care, lets face it we need to behave like responsible adults.

AllanB
Old 07 February 2009, 10:04 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
You'd love it if i was

6 foot 1", 11.5st, 14% body fat, 30" waist, 40" Chest
That sounds more like Jordan (albeit in heels)

You must have awful trouble getting trousers with that waist to height ratio., Or maybe its easy to get them, err, online

D
Old 07 February 2009, 11:16 AM
mykp
Scooby Regular

what a stupid thread!

So we start with smokers, you smoke therefore no NHS treatment for you
next we goto overweight people, sorry too fat - no NHS for you

then where do we go?

how about people injured doing diy or leisure pursuits, self inflicted, no nhs for you!

So where does it stop, sorry your jewish, polish, none aryan, so you cant have treatment. Hell lets only treat those who fit into your perfect image of what a model citizen should look like! Fourth Reich anyone?