Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

A bit of white stuff brings out all the worst drivers!

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2009, 07:39 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry A bit of white stuff brings out all the worst drivers!

In the last two days I've seen some shocking driving due to the weather.

Two examples,

Yesterday morning I saw a **** in an L200 who thought his '4x4' was invincible in the snowy back roads that were ungritted and hardly driven on.
He may have changed his mind a few minutes later when a woman in an Audi A3 tried to pull out in front of him on an even worse bit of snowy/icy road.
Because she couldn't get traction, she was then stranded in the middle of a 30mph road, not really her fault as she really wasn't expecting the pick-up driver to be hooning along at 40+, so he has to brake hard, loses the back end and by some miracle manages to avoid her and anything else including kids walking to school on the kerb.

Then tonight, again on a similar 30mph back road, the snow has turned to slush, but there is a fair amount of hail stones and in my opinion the conditions weren't too bad, but a little slippery.
I then get stuck behind a 52 plate Hyundai 4x4 thing, I kid you not it was doing less than 5mph and I was stuck behind him for a mile or so with a string of traffic behind me.
I have my pick-up in 4wd and am having no trouble at all in these conditions, as they are nothing like the day before, but I'm getting to the point where I'm in danger of stalling as the car in front is being so cautious and I need to keep the revs up with the 4wd engaged.
So I pick my spot and do a 15mph overtaking maneuver, hardly dangerous, but the old codger behind (PS Lewis?) nearly had a coronary, flashing his lights and sounding his horn etc.
I just cannot stop laughing at this pathetic old git who obviously brought his 4x4 for said conditions, but then when the weather appears doesn't know how to drive it!

Or am I as bad as the pick-up driver the day before?
Old 03 February 2009, 07:43 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I cant agree more, I think if you are not confident driving in conditions like this then dont drive.
Old 03 February 2009, 07:59 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must admit I got held up on my way into work yesterday by over cautious drivers. I ended up turning back and going cross-country. I was on my mountain bike.

But then to rub salt into the wounds, twice on the big hill I always come up on the way home I ended up with first a Mercedes and then a BMW revving away whilst tyring to shove me up the hill on stretches where they couldn't overtake because of traffic islands. There was no issues with the snow and I was riding just far enough away from the kerb not to be going through the crap that collects there (nails, broken glass etc) but it is the same every day of the year.
Old 03 February 2009, 09:39 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Originally Posted by Nat21
The snow can make people do silly things too!

Oooohhh, you meant the snow didn't you
What do you mean??
Old 03 February 2009, 10:09 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

to be honest id rather be safe than hit a patch of black ice and slide off the road, as confident as we all are it only takes a second for things to go **** up.

i say the most important skill for driving in adverse conditions is patience
Old 04 February 2009, 12:09 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

You know what I am surprised about, why the TV and the transport people didn't bother informing drivers with basic know-how to deal with snow and icey conditions.

Even a simply sign saying "Start Braking Now, apply light pressure..." would have stopped many prangs.

I was amazed to see how many drivers drove in the same manner as they do in dry normal conditions.. the worst prangs I saw around my workplace where always at junctions and traffic lights which says a lot.
Old 04 February 2009, 07:40 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by finalzero
You know what I am surprised about, why the TV and the transport people didn't bother informing drivers with basic know-how to deal with snow and icey conditions.

Even a simply sign saying "Start Braking Now, apply light pressure..." would have stopped many prangs.

I was amazed to see how many drivers drove in the same manner as they do in dry normal conditions.. the worst prangs I saw around my workplace where always at junctions and traffic lights which says a lot.
Best advice I would give to novice snow drivers is triple the distance you normally keep between you and the car in front.

Unless of course you are a bellend who usually sits right up the ar$e of the car in front - then the advice would be **** off the roads you BMW driving *****
Old 04 February 2009, 09:32 AM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

I drove up to Carlisle from Wakefield on Monday morning and the amount of idiots that went past me on the outside lane on the A1M doing 70+ when the limit was 50, plus there was a covering of snow/slush, it was early. Amazingly I only saw one car that had come off the road!
Old 04 February 2009, 09:35 AM
.:mike:.
Scooby Regular

I saw a bit of a mishap yesterday on the way to work - almost every morning I see a chavved up old clio cut people up on a small stretch of dual carriage way. You know the scenario, coming off a roundabout, one lane of traffic with everyone just driving along as the road becomes 1 lane. Then somebody just cant wait and overtakes as many people as possible in the outside lane for a couple of hundred metres then at the last minute slams on the brakes and forces somebody to giveway to avoid a smash as everybody else is driving at 40. Well, said 60 bhp firebreathing beast did this yesterday - but of course this outside lane wasn't gritted, doh! Car span off and hit a focus, what a fool
Old 04 February 2009, 10:34 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jasey
Unless of course you are a bellend who usually sits right up the ar$e of the car in front - then the advice would be **** off the roads you BMW driving *****
But totally agree, nearly got taken out by another one this morning who clearly thought he had enough room, admittedly he did, he was about an inch from my elbow as he flew past
Old 04 February 2009, 01:12 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The Golden rule I always follow is: drive like you're on your test. Oh, and don't touch the brake.

Incidentally I don't think the snow brings out the worst in drivers, it just throws them into stark relief.