Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

speed awareness course

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2009, 07:11 PM
the watchman
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down speed awareness course

stupid question - anyone on here been on one of these courses? for my sins i,ve been offered this course instead of 3 points, still costs £60 though, i am trying to find out what the course consists of. any pointers anyone?
Old 21 January 2009, 07:49 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went on one about two years ago now, the ****tiest thing I have ever done in my life, about 4 hours in total being lectured by some total ****. I would honestly take the points mate, unless you are on 9 already.
Old 21 January 2009, 07:49 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

How long was your day Hutton?
Old 21 January 2009, 08:05 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Do you still have to declare a convction of this type to an insurer, even though you miss out on the points?

If so, I hardly see the point of them, unless you are partial to spun statistics and a one subject agenda.

Steve
Old 21 January 2009, 08:09 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Mine was half a day, I had a really good "row" with the copper as he made some crack about "Not everyone needs a Subaru as a PE*IS extension", so I replied "No, and a people carrier just shows how fertile your big hairy bo**ocks are ?".

Towards the end I pointed out that the guy next to me drove ambulances for years without a single accident, did 35 in a 30 = criminal, what happened to common sense ?

I pointed out that if his kid jumped out infront of any of us, mine would stop, whilst the 80 year old in a rusty Metro wouldn't even notice for 2 seconds, and then would probably hit the accelerator.

P*ssed him off a treat, don't lie down, fight back with observation, experience, and common sense. You can't fail if you don't knuckle under.

IMHO

dunx (Grrrrr !)
Old 21 January 2009, 08:17 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Sherwen
Do you still have to declare a convction of this type to an insurer, even though you miss out on the points?

If so, I hardly see the point of them, unless you are partial to spun statistics and a one subject agenda.

Steve
you don't get a conviction or points, if you attend the matter is dropped

I went on one last April -- in Dorset, I live in Cambridge

not all authorities do it -- but i would take it over points anyday
Old 21 January 2009, 08:26 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
You sound like one of my old school masters ....

Dave
Sorry, I didn't mean it to sound like a sexual come on
Old 21 January 2009, 08:31 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

mate of mine opted to attend the course.. silly búgger got another speeding ticket on the way there

Last edited by what would scooby do; 21 January 2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 21 January 2009, 08:39 PM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

Go so you don't get the conviction, turn the brain off for a couple of hours and move on.
Old 21 January 2009, 10:17 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

My 70 y old dad got offered this ( 37 in a 30, concealed van ), told him that he would be with a load of tattooed bald blokes with bad trainers in a classroom and not to drop the soap whilst using the toilets. I advised him to take the points and not to mix with these crims as he was likely to pick up subaru driver attitudes and that a stretch inside was the likely next step.
He told me to get lost and that he could take care of himself.....go easy on him the rest of you
Old 22 January 2009, 12:25 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

My 61 year old mother had to attend one, 34 in a 30. They made her drive to the other side of the county, when she got there she was so upset form her 2 hours in rush hour motorway traffic they let her go home.
Job done.

To be honest I am surprised her car got to 34.
Old 22 January 2009, 12:39 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

My friend went on one after the heinous crime of 36 in a 30 at 3:20am and he said it was OK for him as he is pretty chilled about the whole 'speed kills' lie, but told me I would be better taking the points if it ever came to it as I would likely end up in the mother of all rows due to the patronising tone that dominates the proceedings. LOL!

As a slight aside and I have posted this before so sorry if you have already seen it, but just how numb are the people in these road safety partnerships. The Lancashire Safety Partnership (or whatever stupid name they call themselves) site has a page all about the speed awareness course. Now read the first testimonial comment. The guy is clearly taking the **** yet these buffoons publish it as a valid testimonial comment LOL!

See here, half way down the page:

Lancashire Partnership for Road Safety - Speed Awareness Course Details - Road Safety Lancashire | Safe Driving Lancashire | Drink Driving Lancashire | Speeding Lancashire | Safety Cameras Lancashire | Seat Belt Safety Lancashire.

Oh and by the way my friend has had 2 further tickets since the course so a fat lot of use that was

Last edited by f1_fan; 22 January 2009 at 12:40 AM.
Old 22 January 2009, 01:33 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by f1_fan
As a slight aside and I have posted this before so sorry if you have already seen it, but just how numb are the people in these road safety partnerships. The Lancashire Safety Partnership (or whatever stupid name they call themselves) site has a page all about the speed awareness course. Now read the first testimonial comment. The guy is clearly taking the **** yet these buffoons publish it as a valid testimonial comment LOL!

Lancashire Partnership for Road Safety - Speed Awareness Course Details - Road Safety Lancashire | Safe Driving Lancashire | Drink Driving Lancashire | Speeding Lancashire | Safety Cameras Lancashire | Seat Belt Safety Lancashire.

Oh and by the way my friend has had 2 further tickets since the course so a fat lot of use that was
HAHAHAAAA ! That's brilliant ! I can't believe they let that one through !!
Old 22 January 2009, 06:23 AM
the watchman
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

dunx - did you go to the one in kirklees, thats where i have to go. i was trapped on horbury bye pass @ 7-50 am on a sunday morning on my to play golf. 35 in a 30, with no one else on the road.
Old 22 January 2009, 07:43 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

My friend went on one after the heinous crime of 36 in a 30 at 3:20am and he said it was OK for him as he is pretty chilled about the whole 'speed kills' lie, but told me I would be better taking the points if it ever came to it as I would likely end up in the mother of all rows due to the patronising tone that dominates the proceedings. LOL!

I take it all back - SARCASM ROCKS
Old 22 January 2009, 08:23 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Awesome I guess the dumbass that let that slip through the net didn't 'get' sarcasm
Old 22 January 2009, 09:31 AM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Mine was half a day, I had a really good "row" with the copper as he made some crack about "Not everyone needs a Subaru as a PE*IS extension", so I replied "No, and a people carrier just shows how fertile your big hairy bo**ocks are ?".

Towards the end I pointed out that the guy next to me drove ambulances for years without a single accident, did 35 in a 30 = criminal, what happened to common sense ?

I pointed out that if his kid jumped out infront of any of us, mine would stop, whilst the 80 year old in a rusty Metro wouldn't even notice for 2 seconds, and then would probably hit the accelerator.

P*ssed him off a treat, don't lie down, fight back with observation, experience, and common sense. You can't fail if you don't knuckle under.

IMHO

dunx (Grrrrr !)
Love that. My old boy is off on one soon for 60 in a 50 going over sheffield way. He'll probably just sit and listen though.
Old 22 January 2009, 11:03 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Does anyone think you are more or less likely to suffer injury, or whether anyone else is, with the associated level of damage, if you are doing a very high speed instead of something closer to the speed limit when you have an accident, whether your fault or someone else's?

Les
Old 22 January 2009, 11:11 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Leslie
Does anyone think you are more or less likely to suffer injury, or whether anyone else is, with the associated level of damage, if you are doing a very high speed instead of something closer to the speed limit when you have an accident, whether your fault or someone else's?

Les
Of course you are likely to suffer more the higher the speed.

But I'm much safer driving at 80 mph on the motorway than a drugged up lithuanian with no insurance and no cares doing 40mph on the pavement through Tescos car park .

Once they've banged up all the real criminals then they can start on Joe Public going about their business .
Old 22 January 2009, 11:26 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasey

But I'm much safer driving at 80 mph on the motorway than a drugged up lithuanian with no insurance and no cares doing 40mph on the pavement through Tescos car park .

Once they've banged up all the real criminals then they can start on Joe Public going about their business .
Unfortunately, there's a lot more Joe Publics about than criminals. I don't know the figures but Joe Publics driving probably kills more than the criminal fraternity. Plus Joe is driving an expensive piece of his property and won't usually try to physically and weasely avoid capture.

J.
Old 22 January 2009, 12:01 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

You need some of these:

Old 22 January 2009, 01:05 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Les, do you consider "35 in a 30" and "37 in a 30" and "34 in a 30", to be very high speeds?

Who do you consider to be more dangerous, a driver marginally exceeding the speed limit deliberately who is therefore vigilant to the possibility of cameras, police cars etc., or the driver who cruises at the speed limit, irrespective of the conditions, because it has been set by the council and must therefore be safe?

Which causes more damage, a car doing 34 with an alert driver who brakes as soon as a hazard is presented leading to a lower impact speed than the driver cruising at 30 who brakes later due to inattention?

If speed limit compliance has such a direct correlation with road safety then you would expect far better signage. There are numerous locations where the motorist does not know what the limit is, and criminalising them is unfair.
Old 22 January 2009, 01:22 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Graham Balaban ROCKS! He needs some kind of national award for getting that on the scammers' site! He just shows them up for the unintelligent, stupid, blinkered idiots that they are and who do us all a 'big picture' road safety disservice!

I have e-mailed a Graham Balaban as its an easy Google - if it IS him can we have a free gold membership of SN standing by webbie . If not I'll post him money for a pint

D
Old 22 January 2009, 01:29 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

Les
Les, assuming no fowl play 80 or 70 on a motorway is a pretty irrelevant differential IMHO when compared to the necessary risk of travelling and getting where you are going. Its a never ending argument - wouldnt 60 be safer still as a max...? Why can Germans go even quicker with seemingly no further carnage?

Of course only idiots speed where there are kids/pedestrians/shops/low flying geese around. But then again people being prosecuted for 34mph in a 30 when everyone is in bed is taking it too far.

D
Old 24 January 2009, 01:38 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasey

I don't disagree with you Jasey, or Speedking with his points about 30mph + a little bit, or Diesel with his points either. I mean really excessive 3 figure speeds and I personally don't feel that is right on today's crowded roads. The worry is that its the other pratt who causes the accident, and he might even be driving slowly, but the consequences will be immeasurably greater at very high speeds.

I am on record more than once in saying that we should have a higher max speed limit on motorways, maybe 85-90 mph, I think that would go some way to preventing traffic bunching, but with punitive penalties for exceeding them significantly.

Les
Old 24 January 2009, 01:42 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Thumbs up

My father in law went (he's 70!) to one, really good course believe it or not. I was surpised as thought the Police would treat people like kids but apparently they were great & he learnt a lot. Take it I say.

TX.
Old 24 January 2009, 01:43 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Come on! A "lecture" must be better than 3pts ...

TX.

Originally Posted by Dedrater
I went on one about two years ago now, the ****tiest thing I have ever done in my life, about 4 hours in total being lectured by some total ****. I would honestly take the points mate, unless you are on 9 already.

Quick Reply: speed awareness course