Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

EXCUSE ME MR BROWN BUT WTF IS GOING ON.

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2009, 06:11 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EXCUSE ME MR BROWN BUT WTF IS GOING ON.

I cannot remember the last time I was this angry. This smilie doesn't cut it anymore.

I have seen friends and colleagues have to take pay cuts and redundancy, and these c@~t's are GETTING A F@ck!n@ bonus!!

Northern Rock staff set for bonuses on Friday

By Chris Marshall | 15:48:05 | 21 January 2009
Staff at Northern Rock are set for a 10% bonus on Friday after the government-run bank met its final targets.
The Rock had controversially announced at the end of last year that if a quarter of the taxpayer loan was repaid by 31 December, the bank's staff will receive 10% of their salary, with a further 10% bonus payable if that proportion rises to three-quarters by the end of 2009.
As long as the public loan is paid back in full by the end of 2010 staff will get another 15% of their salary, while staff may get a further 25% bonus if and when the company is returned to private ownership.
Northern Rock employs around 4,500 staff having laid off around 1,500. Not all will qualify for Friday’s bonus.
Northern Rock’s success in paying off its government loan paved the way for an about turn in its strategy this week. The banks will now soften its policy of encouraging existing borrowers to remortgage away to help support the government’s bank rescue plan.
Old 21 January 2009, 06:14 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

What a joke
Old 21 January 2009, 06:16 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Really sad news for a lot of people...

I had a £5.5k rise in November as our department reformed itself, interviewed us all and I slipped into a higher role..

So all good for me!

Nick
Old 21 January 2009, 06:18 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its called incentivising your workforce, and understanding the position with Northern Rock better than most, good on them.

Do you actually want UK plc to go bankrupt?
Old 21 January 2009, 06:18 PM
renny
Scooby Regular

I might have a very simplistic view on this but does this mean..........

They are getting large bonuses for trying to put right what they f*cked up in the first place and while they were at it using taxpayer's money to bail them out?
Old 21 January 2009, 06:19 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
Its called incentivising your workforce, and understanding the position with Northern Rock better than most, good on them.

Wouldn't you think having a job would be incentive enough though, especially in the financial sector?
Old 21 January 2009, 06:21 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by darts_aint_sport
Wouldn't you think having a job would be incentive enough though, especially in the financial sector?
ah but weve to look after these toerags - cos the ecomys based on them
Old 21 January 2009, 06:22 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by renny
I might have a very simplistic view on this but does this mean..........

They are getting large bonuses for trying to put right what they f*cked up in the first place and while they were at it using taxpayer's money to bail them out?
No.

Keeping it (very) simple

The employees are getting bonuses for helping to recover the postion that arose due to a business model that Northern Rock's board adopted, a model over which over which those same employees had no control.
Old 21 January 2009, 06:27 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

lol
Old 21 January 2009, 06:31 PM
renny
Scooby Regular

No.

Keeping it (very) simple

The employees are getting bonuses for helping to recover the postion that arose due to a business model that Northern Rock's board adopted, a model over which over which those same employees had no control.
But Northern Rock,as a business brought this on themselves yes?
Old 21 January 2009, 06:34 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Do you not think that it would be better to reward them when they're in the red, and all the debit is repaid, is that not a better incentive to work for? It would certainly look better to the general public too.
Old 21 January 2009, 07:01 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

So now those employees are being rewarded due to a business model the new Northern Rock's board adopted. A model over which those same employees had no control?

Just checking!

-

In fairness, I don't see the big deal with this. On the surface it appears crap, but things would have been a lot worse if they didn't motivate people to stay and not bail in favour of other banks (remember it didn't appear to the public that they were all going down the toilet at that time).
Old 21 January 2009, 07:10 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Their main target was running down the loan book, something Brown has told them to reverse. Just wait in 2010 they'll get bonuses for doing the exact opposite.
Old 21 January 2009, 07:10 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
I cannot remember the last time I was this angry. This smilie doesn't cut it anymore.

I have seen friends and colleagues have to take pay cuts and redundancy, and these c@~t's are GETTING A F@ck!n@ bonus!!

Northern Rock staff set for bonuses on Friday

By Chris Marshall | 15:48:05 | 21 January 2009
Staff at Northern Rock are set for a 10% bonus on Friday after the government-run bank met its final targets.
The Rock had controversially announced at the end of last year that if a quarter of the taxpayer loan was repaid by 31 December, the bank's staff will receive 10% of their salary, with a further 10% bonus payable if that proportion rises to three-quarters by the end of 2009.
As long as the public loan is paid back in full by the end of 2010 staff will get another 15% of their salary, while staff may get a further 25% bonus if and when the company is returned to private ownership.
Northern Rock employs around 4,500 staff having laid off around 1,500. Not all will qualify for Friday’s bonus.
Northern Rock’s success in paying off its government loan paved the way for an about turn in its strategy this week. The banks will now soften its policy of encouraging existing borrowers to remortgage away to help support the government’s bank rescue plan.
while it does sting a bit as this is the bank most people associate with being a bailed out failure, doesn't it also show that if the media hadn't blown the whole NR fiasco out of all proportion it may well have sorted itself out to this degree if the bank had been granted the loan (not bail out money) it asked for?
it was the queues of sheep drawing out money that was never in danger that prompted the collapse.

on the face of it, it seems fairly well run.

just my two p's worth, i'm sure it's wrong
Old 21 January 2009, 07:13 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

errmmmmm 10% pay rise..... how about the don't give them a raise and give us (the public who paid for the bank) the money back and use it for something useful........ like say, putting it in to a big pot so us middle of the age band people will actually get a F$cking pension because the youth of today have screwed us over!!!

People in jobs at the moment need no incentive, none what so ever, they should just be gratefull they've got a job and work hard to keep it given the current firing rate of companies
Old 21 January 2009, 07:17 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

My company is doing very well, has 700 million in the bank but we will get perhaps 4%, not saying they shouldn't get anything but that seems excessive for an organisation that has been the subject of a very public failure and subsequent bail out by the taxpayer, the taxpayers should perhaps have a say.
Old 21 January 2009, 09:16 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't personally see why they deserve a bonus. Surely they should just be glad to still have their jobs.

Most companies are giving no bonus, or very small ones to their staff (nowhere near 10%) - so why such a big one?
Old 21 January 2009, 11:09 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jacko

My company employs near on a million people and spends about 100 billion a year.. can I have a pay rise over 1% (over the last 2 years) please LOL

Shaun
Old 21 January 2009, 11:14 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Those bonuses are massive. Cannot see how they can justify such a large payout just for doing your job. There are enough people who would be prepared to fill their shoes if they don't want their jobs....
Old 22 January 2009, 01:42 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Luminous
Those bonuses are massive. Cannot see how they can justify such a large payout just for doing your job. There are enough people who would be prepared to fill their shoes if they don't want their jobs....
Didn't it work out to being about 2 large each?

Not mahoosive per person but it soon racks up.

I'm still reeling from the costs of car rental / park tickets etc in the US of A

Have already lost 1 1/2 stone last year (due to illness) Looks like I'm gonna lose a couple more this year due to the economic climate affecting my spending patterns.
Old 22 January 2009, 07:37 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Jenny works within the banking sector

Her company has done OK and not subject to a gov't bailout or handouts.

They will not be receiving bonus this year as profits are down and the have been some redundancies and 'restructuring'.

She and her colleagues, whilst a bit peeved have taken it on the chin - however, this sort of thing really irks her, and it does not seem right given the current climate!

Last edited by The Zohan; 22 January 2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 22 January 2009, 07:48 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

To be fair he's only making this new government backed institution work the same as all the others.

The more incompetent you are the more money you get.

It's may get them (Old Labia) back in next time too
Old 22 January 2009, 09:40 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Jacko

My company employs near on a million people and spends about 100 billion a year.. can I have a pay rise over 1% (over the last 2 years) please LOL

Shaun
Originally Posted by J4CKO
My company is doing very well, has 700 million in the bank
Real life scoobynet millionaires
Old 22 January 2009, 11:17 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Devildog's position on this is absolutely correct. It may smart a bit, but suck it up.

Last edited by JTaylor; 22 January 2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 22 January 2009, 11:25 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Jacko

Shaun
NHS?

Well from a selfish POV, I am glad NR are a bit more stable as we have a chunk of cash in NR savings!
Old 22 January 2009, 11:27 AM
JPF
Scooby Regular

If you do a good job why shouldn't you get a bonus? Yes I'm happy and lucky to have a job, but if my work helps improve my company's profit I as all the other staff get a share of those profits in the form of a bonus, seems fare to me...what about the good news? tax payers are getting the money back sooner rather than later and if that's partly due to the workers doing a good job why shdnt they get a bonus as I do?

Negative negative negative...some of this country's population is really starting to pee me off now, gave up with our media a long time ago .
People of this country have had it worse, a whole lot worse in the past and did they whinge, moan, talk conspiracy, show envy, put a negative spin on everything? no they got on with it.

Its the big bosses that fecked things up, for all we know the lower ranks may have done there upmost to prevent things going **** up, if people do well in there job why shouldn't they be rewarded?.

Yes its a shame people are losing there jobs and taking pay cuts etc, I myself have been made redundant in the past and lost a job through injury so I have a lot of sympathy for people that are having a hard time of it, but what would some people have the government and busyness do? not support our economy by helping the banks? that's a good idea, let the banks go under that'll show em...only problem is, if the banks go under then its bye bye economy and we are all even more screwed.

If these peoples hard work has meant a failing bank is now able to payback some of our money and start lending small businesses money again that's a good thing isnt it? and these people deserve a bonus, a new or continuation of a loan from Northan Rock may mean the difference between a company failing or surviving, people losing there job or keeping it.
Old 22 January 2009, 11:47 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JPF
Its the big bosses that fecked things up, for all we know the lower ranks may have done there upmost to prevent things going **** up, if people do well in there job why shouldn't they be rewarded?.
Exactly, the big bonuses aren't being paid to the ***** but the workers at the coal face get rewarded for working hard in difficult circumstances.
Yes, a lot of people do but of the people getting bonuses, huge chunks are lower paid customer facing and call centre staff and 10% is neither here or there in the big scheme.

What are the moaners suggesting, every bank who's been helped with a bailout should put their staff on minimum wage until they pay back...?
Old 22 January 2009, 11:49 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ronjeramy
Do you not think that it would be better to reward them when they're in the red, and all the debit is repaid
I think you've got your reds and blacks the wrong way round
Old 22 January 2009, 11:53 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HankScorpio
What are the moaners suggesting, every bank who's been helped with a bailout should put their staff on minimum wage until they pay back...?
Not at all, but a 10% rise is a bit much.
Old 22 January 2009, 12:00 PM
JPF
Scooby Regular

lol actually after re-reading the initial post, thats some big bonuses!, maybe it reflects on the job they have to do? maybe these people took a pay cut before? anybody know the wages of these people? maybe they aren't being paid as much as some others in banking? maybe the government just wants its money back quicker? There's usually a valid reason behind bonus percentages (when its not the board dishing them out to themselves that is) demonising normal workers that are getting it just seems wrong to me without knowing the facts, even when the percentages are that high.

Though my industry is being effected at the moment my company is actually growing and employing more staff, this is largely due to the hard work and un paid over time of the present workforce who I think deserve the bonus they will get at the end of the year, if they and I didn't work as hard as we do our relatively small company may still survive but it wouldn't be as successful as it is.

Quick Reply: EXCUSE ME MR BROWN BUT WTF IS GOING ON.