Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sorry, watch experts again

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2009, 03:09 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry, watch experts again

Right then, scooby sold and for my 30th I'm considering buying myself a new watch. I've always fancied a Rolex, I've read through lots of threads on here saying there are much better watches and Rolex are overpriced toot but I still want one

My current favourite is this GMT Master II

I also like the Submariners but I understand you can't buy these new? Only one I've seen is a ltd edition with green bezel which I like but I can't buy as my mate has one I'd like to buy in a shop rather than online.

I've also seen one of these in my local jewler, obviously 2nd hand but it's spitting distance from my office window and I'm a lazy sod I'm trying to do some re-search but not sure what money this should fetch as there's no price in the window.

Finally, should I stop being a rolex tart and just get a nice Omega Seamaster for half the price as I've always liked those as well.

Cheers for any input/advice

Chris

Last edited by chris singleton; 20 January 2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 20 January 2009, 03:17 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Im guessing the 1 you have seen second hand will be 1500ish may 2k.

Chop
Old 20 January 2009, 03:32 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Cheers Chop, I've actually changed the link for the 2nd hand one above as I got it wrong, it's got a black/red bezel not blue/red. What you reckon on price now?

Also I've been into Ernest Jones who are an official dealer I understand. They can get me a new black face/bezel submariner for £3,400, good price or not?

The new GMT Master in my first post is £4,300.

Decisions, decisions, will probably end up buying a flick flack as they're water resistant

Last edited by chris singleton; 20 January 2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 20 January 2009, 03:39 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

OK, a bit more digging - the second hand GMT this one is £2,900 and comes with all paperwork, box, etc. They think it's a 2000 model but would have to check. How often do these need servicing or do you leave well alone if it's running ok?
Old 20 January 2009, 03:46 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Jesus the price of GMT II's has shot up, paid about £2.2k for mine back in 98 and about £3.3k for my Submariner LV last March.

Think they recommend a service every 3 years or so, only did my GMT last year so 10 years

Cost about £260 to service, was gaining 2~3 minutes per week at that stage

Last edited by richiewong; 20 January 2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 20 January 2009, 03:49 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Got my first Rolex a few years back, was the GMT2. Lovely looking watch, blue and red bezel, £2400 IIRC. Can't go wrong with them.
Old 20 January 2009, 03:49 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Also try to haggle if buying from a shop, shy kids get no toy's if you don't try, cash is king
Old 20 January 2009, 03:52 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Crikey, thought I'd get shot down in flames wanting a Rolex

My favourite is definately the GMT II but not sure it's worth an extra £1,000 over the submariner. Don't think official retailers will haggle? Will no doubt be better off going to a good independent but don't want to get a fake
Old 20 January 2009, 03:59 PM
yoza
BANNED

I have a Z series GMT Master II as pictured.

I would suggest you stick to your first choice, even though its a lot more expensive.

The Z series GMT has a new ceramic bezel insert with 24 click rotation, it also has maxi hands/fingers and markers as the LV, and a bigger times mag on the cyclops.

And it has the new ROLEX ROLEX ROLEX and serial no at 6 o'clock engraved inner chapter ring.

Also it has a whole new locking buckle/clasp.

These are all "big deals" as Rolex dont upgrade/update watch models often.

The second hand one you are looking at has none of these upgrades.

Also the metal insert on any Sub or GMT bezel is prone to dents and scratches, the ceramic insert is alot more robust.

As for buying another brand....If you want a Rolex, buy a Rolex, if you dont you will get buyers blues, and still want a Rolex.

In my view Rolex are excellent, but not the best, I much prefer my Panerai Luminor Daylight to my GMT, and I have for the last three months not taken off my Ball Hydrocarbon Engineer Chrono.

edited to say I have a "Z" Series 116710N not an M...

Last edited by yoza; 20 January 2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 20 January 2009, 04:27 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Yep,buy what you want.You've got to wear it!

Thankfully I like all watches so I'll never criticise a watch choice.***

What is about watches that sends us mad

*** EDIT.One of those massive diamond bling things jumped to mind.Beckham/rapper thing thats a no no

Last edited by lozgti; 20 January 2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 20 January 2009, 07:05 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Yoza, excellent advice mate, cheers

Any recomendation where to buy from? I've seen a few online places offering the new GMT for about £3950 so at least £400 cheaper than Ernest Jones who I doubt will haggle. Obviously a bit wary buying online rather than from shop/authorised dealer.

Lozgti, appreciate what you're saying mate, I don't want anything massively bling, bling like a lot of the Breitling's seem to be. Anything which has too many colours or is covered in diamonds looks naff and is way way out of my price range
Old 20 January 2009, 07:21 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Rolex are putting their prices up next week/early feb by around 10 - 15 percent. I have manage to pick up a brand new deep sea for £5900 which i dont think is too bad. They are £5500 list price but that will be going up to over £6000 next week. Collecting it tomorrow so will put up some pictures. My seamaster is quite big but the deepsea makes it look small..

Last edited by RB5SCOTT; 20 January 2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 20 January 2009, 07:21 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

lol Nat you beat me to it while i was writing
Old 20 January 2009, 07:24 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris - good advice frm Yoza.

The new GMT with the ceramic bezel is a fair bit bigger than the previous model swisswrist are selling. Worth a thought if your wrists are smaller.

Yes, the old insert is prone to dings and scratches, but its cheaply and easily replaced. Also means you can change from black/red to blue/red to all black as you fancy.

Incidentally, Swisswrist are quoting the wrong RRP for the 16710.

That model GMT11 were probably the most accessable of all the sports models and hence carried the lowest residuals. A new old stock GMT2 is not IMO worth anything like £3,600 when you can get a current model ceramic bezel GMTII for £3,900.
Old 20 January 2009, 07:26 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
Rolex are being cheeky ******* aren't they.....i paid £3280 for an LV Sub in the summer....it went upto £3690 a month later (which i then sold it for) and in a week or two they'll be £4k
Apparently its all because the pound is so week against the Euro and the Swiss banks that Rolex use!
Old 20 January 2009, 07:32 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

I may not take the stickers off the DeepSea and sell it next year for 8 grand
Old 20 January 2009, 07:35 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nat21
Be quick....Rolex prices go up again in a week or two....

I like the current GMT a lot but never liked the Pepsi ones.

There is also a new Submariner out now with the ceramic bezel which is pretty cool too....

You will be able to get a used standard Sub for about £2200.
The ceramic bezel sub is white gold though and will be, what, £15K??
Old 20 January 2009, 07:40 PM
yoza
BANNED

You would be amazed at the price difference of a pre-owned ROLEX with all plastics in place, and a ROLEX without....

Try £800 extra on a Daytona, for a few peices of heat wrapped plastic.

Nat I have not yet seen or handled a Ceramic Sub, does it have a deeper bezel to accomodate the insert as the GMT does?

Chris...Download the GMT MasterII screensaver from the Rolex website, it runs as a GMT does and reads the correct time, it will help you make the right decision..
Old 20 January 2009, 07:40 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Hate to think what the DSSD will be by the end of the 5 year quoters some place's are selling at. Thats why i decided to buy now!
Old 20 January 2009, 07:43 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yoza
You would be amazed at the price difference of a pre-owned ROLEX with all plastics in place, and a ROLEX without....

Try £800 extra on a Daytona, for a few peices of heat wrapped plastic.

Nat I have not yet seen or handled a Ceramic Sub, does it have a deeper bezel to accomodate the insert as the GMT does?

Chris...Download the GMT MasterII screensaver from the Rolex website, it runs as a GMT does and reads the correct time, it will help you make the right decision..
Tell me about it! i bought a Datejust turn o graph with concealed clasp last year for £3520, it was worn for about a month. Its now getting traded for £2000
Old 20 January 2009, 07:45 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

I bought one of these last week from a well known high street jeweller. Planet Ocean Big Size

Priced in the window at £2000.00 but i haggled and paid £1600.00 Not a Rolex but an extremely nice watch.

Geoff.

Quick Reply: Sorry, watch experts again